Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

gailryder17
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 6:23 pm

Here, you post an incident where you reacted differently from a neurotypical and don't understand the NT's response.

My example:

My friend got her hair straightened.

My reaction: Oh, you straightened your hair.
NT reaction: *screams, runs, and hugs* OH MY GOD, (person's name), YOU LOOK SO PRETTY! COME SEE HER HAIR!

Forever in debt to your priceless advice

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 6:26 pm

My reaction would be: Hi. *completely unaware of straightened hair*

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 6:33 pm

if I had to spend any amount of time around the person who gave the NT reaction to the straightened hair I'd end up in prison - just reading what they said made me shudder!

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 6:35 pm

gailryder17 wrote:
Here, you post an incident where you reacted differently from a neurotypical and don't understand the NT's response.

My example:

My friend got her hair straightened.

My reaction: Oh, you straightened your hair.
NT reaction: *screams, runs, and hugs* OH MY GOD, (person's name), YOU LOOK SO PRETTY! COME SEE HER HAIR!

Yep, pretty much.

biribiri20
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2012, 6:44 pm

When people go insane over a baby in the vicinity and fight to hold them while I just kind of stare at them as if they've lost it :P

Yeah, I don't get the big deal about hair styles either lol

Diagnosis: ADHD-PI, suspected AS
Your Aspie Score: 142 of 200, Your NT Score: 74 of 200, You are very likely an Aspie
AQ: 38/EQ: 16/SQ: 52

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 6:48 pm

Dinner plans get moved back by two hours:

NT reaction: "Ok, cool"

My reaction: "Burst into tears and start rocking"

:?

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2012, 7:58 pm

fragileclover wrote:
Dinner plans get moved back by two hours:

NT reaction: "Ok, cool"

My reaction: "Burst into tears and start rocking"

:?

I would try to be cool with it, but I would end up pacing for two hours, turning the TV on and off, opening and closing my laptop without actually doing anything on it, etc. I would keep feeling like the event I prepared for was supposed to have begun and then sort of worrying whether my mental preparation for it will last that long or if I'll end up feeling invisible in a corner somewhere with nothing to say. That's when, if we have any alcohol and I'm not driving, I start drinking. lol

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2012, 8:19 pm

Boss yells at me, basically having a temper tantrum, because I informed him that some customers complained about the air conditioner being broken and left the store without buying what they came for.

NT: Didn't tell boss about the customers having left because they could tell he was already upset. If they did tell him and he yelled at them, they apologize for upsetting him, even though they did nothing wrong, because they want to keep their job.
Me: Explain to the boss that I don't appreciate him yelling at me; I was just telling him about it because I thought he would want to know why some customers, who may have been either angry or just dissatisfied, left the store. He yells some more saying he doesn't appreciate me or anyone else in the store who've been "bothering" him about the heat all day, apparently, by making passing comments about it. I yell back and tell him I quit because he's been so disrespectful lately, and it's not the employees that are the problem. I can no longer put the job on my resume, and now I may have to lie about it if it ever comes up--which is not easy for me to do and will just add to the stress of the interviewing process. Wonderful.
NT: Tells me when I come to pick up my paycheck that I was in the right but does not speak up to boss.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 8:27 pm

I don't understand other mens' obsessions with breasts. Or sex in general.
I've had it, and I still don't get why most guys seem to be obsessed with it.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 9:05 pm

With the new hair style,

Maybe be open to appreciate that it makes for a flowing, brimming day for them. And being open in a quiet way.

without feeling the need to pretend a reaction.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 9:08 pm

mrspotatohead wrote:
Boss yells at me, basically having a temper tantrum, because I informed him that some customers complained about the air conditioner being broken and left the store without buying what they came for.

NT: Didn't tell boss about the customers having left because they could tell he was already upset. If they did tell him and he yelled at them, they apologize for upsetting him, even though they did nothing wrong, because they want to keep their job.
Me: Explain to the boss that I don't appreciate him yelling at me; I was just telling him about it because I thought he would want to know why some customers, who may have been either angry or just dissatisfied, left the store. He yells some more saying he doesn't appreciate me or anyone else in the store who've been "bothering" him about the heat all day, apparently, by making passing comments about it. I yell back and tell him I quit because he's been so disrespectful lately, and it's not the employees that are the problem. I can no longer put the job on my resume, and now I may have to lie about it if it ever comes up--which is not easy for me to do and will just add to the stress of the interviewing process. Wonderful.
NT: Tells me when I come to pick up my paycheck that I was in the right but does not speak up to boss.

Wow, I'm sorry that happened. And that's the 30% bad boss (and I wish it wasn't that high), meaning 30% of bosses are this big a jackass. Informing him of conditions is viewed as "bothering" him, what a dysfunctional individual.

Can you use the phone number of the main district office and still put this on your resume?

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 9:27 pm

Parents request that I order pizza;
NT reaction: 'K. *picks up phone and orders pizza*
My reaction: Oh! I hear that Domino's has this feature where you can order online...*spends the next ten minutes creating the PERFECT pizza, occasionally stopping to ask for parental input*.
While waiting for pizza to arrive;
NT reaction: ??? (I suppose...watch television...or something?)
My reaction: *goes on website to look for nutritional information; reads through list of ingredients about various toppings* *whispers: "I am so sorry for what I've done to you, my beloved parents"*
The pizza delivery service calls and informs us that the pizza is on the way;
NT reaction: 'K.
My reaction: *paces around the living room nervously, rocking back and forth an lightly banging fist repeatedly against door frame*
Pizza has arrived;
NT reaction: Oh, cool--pizza. *pays for pizza* *retrieves pizza*
My reaction: *shaking* He's here! He's here! What do I do? *paces even more rapidly* *jumps a bit when the doorbell rings* H-hello...*pays for pizza* *trembles nervously while walking to place pizza down*

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 9:37 pm

I have a lot of girly, emotional friends. I don't understand why we have to make a big production of hugging each other and cooing every time we meet up and every time we depart. I'll hug my friends but it feels weird and forced. It's not that I don't like them but I just hate hugging people.

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2012, 9:39 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
mrspotatohead wrote:

Wow, I'm sorry that happened. And that's the 30% bad boss (and I wish it wasn't that high), meaning 30% of bosses are this big a jackass. Informing him of conditions is viewed as "bothering" him, what a dysfunctional individual.

Can you use the phone number of the main district office and still put this on your resume?

It was a small business and he was also the owner of the business. I guess the good thing is that the job doesn't apply too much to the career field I will be applying to. Still, it would have been nice to explain the gap in my work history honestly, instead of "well, I just did various jobs in the summers."

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 9:46 pm

I have trouble with that, too. Where I kind of 'have to' tell a lie through no fault of my own. I guess a light deflecting statement and the less said the better.

So, this clown was the actual owner of the business. You'd think he would actually want to know that he was losing customers and why. What a first-rate jerk.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 9:46 pm

If someone I knew changed their hairstyle too much I probably wouldn't even recognize them...