Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 7:33 am

Has anyone had any experience with weighted blankets?

It is no longer winter where I live, and I had to do the sad thing of taking off my winter sheets and blankets because I get too hot in the Spring/Summer. Unfortunately I do not sleep as well without my 20lbs of blankets over me. I am considering getting a weighted blanket so I still have the heavy feeling but without sweating lots in my sleep.

Does anyone have any advice?

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 7:47 am

My ex-boyfriend's brother is an aspie and he sleeps with weighted blankets. I used one at his house before and I really find them comfortable. I really want one of my own, I just don't know where to find them.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 8:16 am

My weighted blanket is indispensable! A few years ago I bought mine online at www.weightedblanket.net ('Dream Catcher Weighted Blankets') & they were very prompt & courteous (note: I'm not advertising here - I imagine there are other great suppliers). In fact, if you mention you are a Wrong Planet member you'll receive a discount :) Now, if they're not still available, I bet you could order one from another source. Be sure to chose acrylic beads & not filler like beans/seed or other organic materials as over time these can actually become rancid (& even attract vermin). Also, weighted blankets, which are pricey, are tax deductible as a medical expense - keep your receipt!

nebrets, when I moved almost 2 years ago, I took very little with me. But I took my weighted blanket. Maybe more than anything, it helps calm me down.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 8:33 am

I have one, it weights 12 kg. When I'm in stress or feel sad, lying under it makes me more comfortable. I sleep with it pretty often. Warning: it's really hard to put it into bedsheet.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 8:34 am

LabPet wrote:
In fact, if you mention you are a Wrong Planet member you'll receive a discount :)

When you say "wp member", is that just a member of the forum?

This something I'm tempted to get. Can't sleep at night without a blanket; but get too hot. I do have a quilt cover with no duvet inside it. (so it's just a thin cover) It's not the same at all.

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 9:00 am

I'm getting one on prescription. It's the newer type with metal chains running through it 8O . Haven't got it yet so can't comment on how good it is.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 9:56 am

great idea. didn't know there was such a thing. went to dreamcatchers website and entered to win a free weighted blanket.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 10:56 am

I don't seem to have such a big problem with this as many others here do. However, even in the summer, I prefer to use at least a sheet as a covering, except in the hottest, humid weather. Partly to discourage mosquito bites, but partly because I feel better with at least the sheet over me. In the colder weather I do use more and weightier coverings, and don't really mind the weight. It does take some getting used to using less weight once the warm weather returns. However, I live up in the mountains of western NY, so it is often cool here at night even in the summer. I still have to use blankets much of the time even then. That's okay though, as I hate hot, humid weather.

I often hear about contests, or sales for trips to tropical climates. I would hate to win one of those, as I really can't stand that kind of climate. Send me to Alaska instead! :lol:

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 11:41 am

Wandering_Stranger wrote:
LabPet wrote:
In fact, if you mention you are a Wrong Planet member you'll receive a discount :)

When you say "wp member", is that just a member of the forum?

Yes. When ordering, be sure to mention that you're a member of the Wrong Planet (& that you heard about it on WP). They had had a trade-in programme, like for kids who've outgrown their blanket, and this might be an option too. The metal chains inside is novel :) why not? Sort-of like those leaded blankets at the dentist's office!

I know weighted blankets help our vestibular sense with a calming effect. Anyway, you can find nice colour/patterns for these blankets. I have a fairly light duvet & just use my weighted blanket as a throw over my bed - sometimes I have it on my sofa in the front room.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 11:54 am

Weighted blankets are amazing. I actively support people getting them.

I actually made mine instead of purchasing one. If you have the time and ability to spend a weekend with a sewing machine, it ends up much cheaper to make it yourself.

Some insurance companies will cover weighted blankets now.

Crankbadger
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Apr 2012, 1:15 pm

First time I hear of weighted blankets. I can't sleep without those thick blankets either but this is a problem since I get too hot even in winter with my window open.

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Apr 2012, 1:51 pm

I never heard of them but this post brings to mind something I saw in an autism documentary. There is a 2006 BBC Horizon documentary about Temple Grandin called "The Woman Who Thinks like a Cow". In this documentary, she talks about how during her childhood she found that if she placed herself into a device called a cow squeezer that is used to restrain cattle while being vaccinated, then it made her feel calmer just like it did for the cows. A weighted blanket might serve the same purpose. I will have to look into that some more... for the colder months.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 2:04 pm

TTRSage wrote:
I never heard of them but this post brings to mind something I saw in an autism documentary. There is a 2006 BBC Horizon documentary about Temple Grandin called "The Woman Who Thinks like a Cow". In this documentary, she talks about how during her childhood she found that if she placed herself into a device called a cow squeezer that is used to restrain cattle while being vaccinated, then it made her feel calmer just like it did for the cows. A weighted blanket might serve the same purpose. I will have to look into that some more... for the colder months.

The comfort of the weight might be similar to the "Big Squeeze" made by Dr. Grandin to replicated the cow restrainer.

I want the blanket for the summer, because in the winter I keep 20lbs of blankets on me (for the weight and warmth). Now I want something that is heavy but not going to make me too warm.

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2012, 2:24 pm

I want one really badly! The cost alot though. Right now I sleep with four heavy blanks on me but they always fall off in the night. :(

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 2:32 pm

Kaelynn wrote:
I want one really badly! The cost alot though. Right now I sleep with four heavy blanks on me but they always fall off in the night. :(

They are expensive, but apparently if you can get documentation you can write them off on your taxes as a medical expense (keep the receipt).

Personally my birthday is coming up in about a month and my family members have been pestering me about gift ideas (presents are not surprises in my family - no guess work required in knowing what to get another person) and I am going to ask for a blanket. I weighed the blankets I am comfortable with in the winter to find out how heavy I like my blankets, so I just give my family the information, and get to wait and see.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 2:59 pm

LabPet wrote:
My weighted blanket is indispensable! A few years ago I bought mine online at www.weightedblanket.net ('Dream Catcher Weighted Blankets') & they were very prompt & courteous (note: I'm not advertising here - I imagine there are other great suppliers). In fact, if you mention you are a Wrong Planet member you'll receive a discount :) Now, if they're not still available, I bet you could order one from another source. Be sure to chose acrylic beads & not filler like beans/seed or other organic materials as over time these can actually become rancid (& even attract vermin). Also, weighted blankets, which are pricey, are tax deductible as a medical expense - keep your receipt!

nebrets, when I moved almost 2 years ago, I took very little with me. But I took my weighted blanket. Maybe more than anything, it helps calm me down.

LabPet,
I have been considering Dream Catcher Weighted Blankets. With yours, do you get too warm under it? That is my main concern as the summers where I live get above 110 degrees Fahrenheit during the day and I minimize air-conditioning because of cost (keeping my apartment about 80, which is comfortable for me), so I do not want very warm blankets, just heavy.