Eight Products the Facebook Generation is not buying.

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PM
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 8:50 am

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/eight-pro ... t-buy.html

1. I still use E-mail for various things and I find it to be more secure than IM.

2. Crappy booze is crappy.

3. I still have to have my daily newspaper, so.....

4. Who can afford the gas? :roll:

5. Guilty

6. Gen Y is kicking that habit, good.

7. Guilty, but a desktop is still more capable

8. There's not much worth watching, but I have not strayed away from TV completely.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 11:59 am

It makes some good points but...
1 “Email is too slow … email is too formal”, there are context where a slower and more formal medium would be preferred, so e-mail will still be needed.
2 Crappy booze is crappy. Heh.
3 Does an electronic newspaper count? Or an official news site, as opposed to something in a social networking site?
4 Well, I'd choose internet over a car in a heartbeat. Living in a big city though, public transportation, however crowded it might be, is way better than driving around in rush hour. Cars are almost a necessity in smaller towns though.
5 Yup. Not too long ago everyone had a landline phone. Now, seems like the majority of people use only their cellphones for communication.
6 Guess the harsher tobacco laws are working.
7 I do own a laptop, but if I have the need of a powerful computer in the future, it must be a desktop one.
8 Netflix outside the U.S. is sh***y. So I'll still be watching regular tv.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 12:01 pm

A lot of those things are in decline, but they aren't going to disappear.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 1:04 pm

So we're not THAT bad after all! We're not smoking as much, and we're not watching nearly as much TV as those people say we are!

But the car vs. internet thing...I'll have to think about that one. What do they mean by not having access to a car? Does it mean I can't ride in anyone's car, or just my own? If it means no one's car, then it's difficult because on one hand it would make it very hard for me to see my dad, who lives four hours away, but on the other hand no internet would make it extremely difficult for me to communicate with a lot of my friends, many of whom live over twelve hours away. Hmm...

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

21 Apr 2012, 2:44 pm

The car thing is simply a product of the economy. I can't afford to drive or own a car.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 2:54 pm

Quote:
1. Email

This is what I primarily use. I don't have a blog, I don't use Twitter, I don't have a MySpace page, and I very rarely use instant messaging. Maybe if I had my own cell phone, I would use texts, but I don't.

Quote:
2. Beer

What is this nonsense about people preferring light beer? Go drink a Guinness, you pansy. If it isn't black, it's not beer.

Quote:
3. Newspapers

Yeah, I never use them. Maybe I will in the near future when I'm living in a house without a computer.

Quote:
4. Cars

Depends on the city. Some cities are sprawled out in such a way that getting around in a car is the only practical way, and not all cities have a good bus system.

Quote:
5. Landline phones

Obsolete.

Quote:
6. Cigarettes

Gross. If you're going to smoke something, you may as well smoke weed and get a high out of it. What does tobacco get you?

Quote:
7. Desktop computers

I use one right now, but I hate them. I have no idea why they're still being made. There's no reason for them to exist. What can a desktop do that a laptop can't?

Quote:
8. Television

I use my television a lot to watch movies, but I rarely watch what's broadcast. An occasional cartoon or something on one of the movie channels. I won't have cable when I move soon, and I won't miss it.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 3:05 pm

Jory wrote:
Quote:
2. Beer

What is this nonsense about people preferring light beer? Go drink a Guinness, you pansy. If it isn't black, it's not beer.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 4:52 pm

Jory wrote:

Quote:
7. Desktop computers

I use one right now, but I hate them. I have no idea why they're still being made. There's no reason for them to exist. What can a desktop do that a laptop can't?

Adequate CPU power and I/O speed for software development. Every laptop I have used pales in comparison to a desktop of the same age.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 4:55 pm

Quote:
1. Email

I still use it occasionally for official correspondence, but IM and Facebook have taken over for communicating with friends.

Quote:
2. Beer

I don't drink. Tried, may have on occasionally, but IMHO beer tastes nasty.

Quote:
3. Newspapers

I read local newspapers, but get most of my national and world news online.

Quote:
4. Cars

I don't get this one. Where I live you need a car, there's no getting around it. I probably won't rely on it much except for traveling out of town or during inclement weather.

Quote:
5. Landline phones

Nope. Cellphones have greater functionality and you don't have to sit in one place.

Quote:
6. Cigarettes

Never really did get why people smoke. I'm sure my girlfriend would appreciate it if I didn't either.

Quote:
7. Desktop computers

I partially disagree with this one. Laptops are good for college students on the go, but PC's are important for gaming, programming, hacking, and running high-spec applications. However, they may not have considered that a lot of the Gen Y kids are opting to build their own computer from separate components rather than buying a stock tower. I'm one such person myself, I'm planning on putting ~$600 or so into components for a desktop PC for my room, then putting it together myself. I'll use that for my games, music, programming, and AMV editing, then buy a small laptop or netbook for office software and mobile Internet that I can take with me to class.

Quote:
8. Television

Outside of the occasional episode of The Big Bang Theory, I rarely ever watch TV. Now as far as TV shows go, I watch a lot - specifically anime - but over the Internet instead of through cable.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 5:22 pm

How many LPs, Betamax tapes (or players), or super-8 cameras were sold in 2011? How many photographs are taken by casual photographers using film any more? How many hand lettered books are published each year?

None of these technologies has disappeared, to be sure. But with each advance in technology, old technologies are supplanted because we don't need them any more.

The only exception in this list is beer--which is a victim of fashion and economics. Where beer was one the most plentiful and inexpensive alcoholic beverage, it's universality is slowly being supplanted by a reduction in alcohol consumption, and by greater variety in the same price point.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 2:52 am

i am the odler generation, so it is interesting to read these things.

Quote:
1. Email

i don't get how this is different from FB messaging as those are essentially emails. i use both. i also use IM to some degree.

Quote:
2. Beer

LIGHT BEER? WHAAAAAAAAA? why waste money on something that tastes like beer but... with less alcohol? when i am in the liquor store i'm doing rapid calculations to get the maximum alcohol content for my dollar.

hmmmm is that a sign of an alcoholic?

Quote:
3. Newspapers

i haven't read one in decades. there are those Metro daily tabloids that circulate, but i am not bothered to read them.

Quote:
4. Cars

i can't drive as i do not have a license.

Quote:
5. Landline phones

i do have one because it came in a package with the internet and cable. but it gathers dust. i jump out of my skin on the weekly occasion that it rings.

Quote:
6. Cigarettes

i noticed that it is less common. i smoked back in the day.

Quote:
7. Desktop computers

i have one. i get migraines so i need to keep the monitor as far away from my eyes as possible - farther than a laptop can go.

Quote:
8. Television

i mostly watch stuff i have burned onto disk, and Netflix

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 6:37 am

hyperlexian wrote:
i am the odler generation.

I too am odler.

Quote:
1. Email

I loathe social media and find there's no need for it. In saying that, I railed against getting a mobile phone for years too. Sometimes it's good that no-one can get in touch with you. My social network is my living room and my phone.

Quote:
2. Beer

I like Miller and Budweiser, but beer isn't my drink of choice.

Quote:
3. Newspapers

I read articles of interest on The Guardian's website, or the BBC News site.

Quote:
4. Cars

I don't drive. Don't have a license.

Quote:
5. Landline phones

I do have one because it came in a package with the internet and I only use it for calling about billing or warranty calls as it's much cheaper.

Quote:
6. Cigarettes

I quit smoking 3 years ago after smoking for 20 years.

Quote:
7. Desktop computers

I'm one of the few people who actually uses their computer for work, so I need the grunt. I also have a laptop

Quote:
8. Television

I refused to pay for a UK TV license and eventually received an exemption as I demonstrated that I do not and refuse to watch UK broadcast TV. I use iPlayer and download AMC/HBO (Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Dexter etc) stuff from the Internet

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 11:25 am

Quote:
1. Email

There are a great many workplaces in which social media are not (yet?) used. The transmission of proprietary or sensitive material by social media is always going to raise security concerns. So long as email provides greater security, it will endure. At least for another year or two.

Quote:
2. Beer

Wine still consumes the biggest share of my alcohol buying. But beer is not completely excluded.

Quote:
Newspapers

Significantly declining. Now that The Guardian's cryptic crossword is available free online, I have less and less use for newsprint.

Quote:
4. Cars

Our second car is a co-op membership. Wave of the future.

Quote:
5. Landline phones

We have one. It's the bozo filter for telemarketers.

Quote:
6. Cigarettes

(shrug) what more need be said?

Quote:
7. Desktop computers

Laptop and handheld utility is getting there. Another five years and I think we're done.

BTW hyperlexian, try a docking station and monitor. All the benefits of a desktop keyboard and monitor, but the portability of a laptop.

Quote:
8. Television

Dropped cable three years ago, and haven't missed it.

i mostly watch stuff i have burned onto disk, and Netflix

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 12:19 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
Quote:
2. Beer

LIGHT BEER? WHAAAAAAAAA? why waste money on something that tastes like beer but... with less alcohol? when i am in the liquor store i'm doing rapid calculations to get the maximum alcohol content for my dollar.

hmmmm is that a sign of an alcoholic?

:lol:

Back in the day, in my early drinking days with friends, we would calculate: total volume*alcohol percent/price, then buy the one with the highest number. It makes logical sense if all you want is to feel it's effects (still, there was "too cheap" stuff which tasted awful, and had to be avoided.)

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 12:34 pm

Quote:
Facebook Generation

No. Just no. F**k off whoever came up with that.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 1:24 pm

ZX_SpectrumDisorder wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
i am the odler generation.

I too am odler.

hahaha i really need to use spellcheck.