Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheNightOwl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Apr 2012, 6:58 am

If you've taken the Systemizing Quotient test, which measures how systematic a thinker you are, you will see there are many parallels between what that measures and the type of thinking that would lead to a career in STEM fields. My scores are:

Systematizing Quotient (SQ): 47 out of 80

Systematizing Quotient (Revised Version: SQ-R): 104 out of 150

Those are pretty high scores. Probably not shockingly, my field of study is computational neuroscience, specifically modeling network dynamics in the human brain using approaches such as graph theory and multivariate pattern analysis. My topic of interest is decision making in multidimensional contexts. My advisor has a background in computer science, animal behavior, machine learning, multivariate statistics, and neuroimaging so we have some fun conversations. He makes me read a lot of textbooks from the late 70s and early 80s and it's a little crazy how relevant a lot of the work being done then is to what people are doing now, we just have technology that makes it easier.

I basically think entirely in concrete terms, albeit at a pretty high level of complexity, and think about pretty much everything as a system. I guess that's the very definition of a high systemizer ;). It definitely helps my work as a graduate student. I've learned that it can get in the way of me having fun, however; I tend to terribly over plan my vacations for example especially if it involves travel by public transit. I can get way too hung up on sticking to the schedule and memorizing the transit routes and such because I hate getting lost and wasting time.

What about everyone else? Does systemizing inform your interests, and does it help or hinder you?

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 7:38 am

The greatest satisfaction of my intellectual desire to systematize has been in two areas. One was the study of library cataloging (especially subject indexing) which reveals the different systems for describing the entire universe of information. Another was learning Hermetic Qabalah, which is a sort of filing system for every phenomenon in the universe as well as the interior world of symbols.

BassMan_720
Toucan
Toucan

30 Apr 2012, 8:55 am

No hope for me. 54 out of 80.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 2:41 pm

I got a 54/150 on the SQ-R. It seems I'm very systemizing when it comes to things I'm interested in (e.g., computers, language, etc.), but otherwise I show little systemizing tendency.

JoeRose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 May 2012, 5:09 pm

I did one of these tests and I was labelled an extreme systemiser. I had a very high systemising score and a really low empathy score which worried me for a while. But then I realised I may just be a very natural scientist! (I should be considering I'm studying for a masters in Pharmacy)>

anyway my interests are highly eclectic. I know an unbelievable amount about music (Artists, genres, periods of music, structure, songwriting etc), I also know a silly amount about psychiatry, psychology, pharmaceuticals, biochemistry and biomedicine. (and a lot of them aren't due to my degree but are out of my own personal interest.
I also know a lot about literature, history, aviation, politics, space flight and countless other things.

Most of my interests besides music and literature are extremely scientific and I often find myself engulfed in data, journals, research papers, scientific american and similar magazines and on wikipedia learning all I can about things like genetic disorders, psychiatric disorders, treatment methods, differential diagnoses, the epidemiology of disease etc etc etc etc

It's only recently I've learnt that I'm definitely an aspie although I'm not diagnosed. I had an assessment and met a lot of the criteria for someone with aspergers but they wanted to interview my parents and I wasn't happy with that.
To think at one point I used to think being interested in so many things was a normal trait!

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 4:11 pm

My interests include:

biological sciences

chemistry related to biochemistry

new research related to biology and biochemistry that improve one's health

learning about skills to research scientific research online at PubMed, for example

Researching information about NLD and AS online related to abnormalities in PET Scans, MRIs and the differences between these two diagnoses

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2012, 7:13 pm

Computer programming lets you systematize your system of systems. It's like systemception.

mastermenthe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 May 2012, 5:48 pm

I scored a 74 out of 80.
I find this odd, as I am currently out of work and failed out of university.
I know I am autistic with Asperger's syndrome, which explains a good bit.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 5:55 pm

Evinceo wrote:
Computer programming lets you systematize your system of systems. It's like systemception.

hehe

brilliant way of putting it.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 2:27 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
The greatest satisfaction of my intellectual desire to systematize has been in two areas. One was the study of library cataloging (especially subject indexing) which reveals the different systems for describing the entire universe of information. Another was learning Hermetic Qabalah, which is a sort of filing system for every phenomenon in the universe as well as the interior world of symbols.

Kabalah is, by empirical standards, mysticism and nonsense. Symbols are arbitrary conventions. The connection to reality is arbitrary and/or habitual association.

ruveyn

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 7:12 pm

History mostly. I like programming too, but I haven't studied it seriously.

Quazar
Raven
Raven

24 May 2012, 5:28 pm

apparently I'm 67/80, that explains a lot ;) my current interests are technology (particularly interested in the digital singularity), astronomy, astro-physics (similar to astronomy) and recently about my autism and how my brain functions :D

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 7:55 pm

Score 50. Interests math, physics, history, languages

I avoid sentimental slop like the plague

ruveyn

joannaaleksandra
Toucan
Toucan

31 May 2012, 1:58 pm

I scored 48/80.

My interests include neurodegenerative diseases of the childhood, quantum physics and ethology.

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 2:26 pm

SQ-R 71/150. My interests are all based on programming, engineering and electronics. Machines and electronics I understand - people, not so much :?

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2012, 2:44 pm

holistic psychology, nutrition, spirituality, meditation and neuroscience.