Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 12:39 pm

I haven't posted much over the past few weeks, interest waning slightly.

The past few days, I've gone into a sudden weird mood. I've a "tight" head, not quite a headache, not quite right either. Tinnitus full on. Last night, I came home, the wife asked me how the day was and I spoke one sentence, then completely lost the power to speak and move, the movement improved after an hour or two, then I was relatively OK. The lack of speech lasted the rest of the evening. It was though I had forgotten how to speak and I actually had to write a note and use gestures to communicate with the family.

I was relatively OK this morning, fine in work, but this afternoon I felt myself flagging and left work early. The headache has come full on back and I can feel myself getting into the same state again.

This is the most severe shut down I've had, it's slightly scary. So what to do?

Jason.

MrJosh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2012, 12:51 pm

I don't know if this is something that regularly happens to you, and I'm not sure if it's symptoms of a shutdown. But I'd suggest you visit your doctor. Not to worry you, but I definitely think ruling out any other underlying cause would be the best idea.

Hope you feel better soon. :)

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 1:09 pm

I also think you definitely need to go to the Doctor, just to rule out this being a physical issue, like a mini stroke or something. So don't panic, but take how you feel seriously and see a professional.

MrJosh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2012, 1:28 pm

Hi again,

I just re-read your post and I notice your in Wales. It might be worth giving NHS Direct a quick call and explaining your symptoms to them.

The number is 0845 46 47.

The web address is http://www.nhsdirect.wales.nhs.uk/

:)

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 2:16 pm

Fair point, I'll see the doctor tomorrow.

Jason

MrJosh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2012, 2:26 pm

Let us know how you get on. :)

questor
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 2:30 pm

My mother and I lived in a town house apartment for four years. One morning she came barging into my room there in a panic. She didn't know where she was--couldn't remember having moved there. This temporary mini amnesia lasted for part of the day. The doctor said she had had a mini stroke. Unfortunately, she kept smoking for years after that. According to what I learned about strokes and mini strokes at that time, the symptoms you describe sound like you may be having mini strokes. The stress of a long day may be causing your blood pressure to spike too high in the afternoons, and adding enough pressure to cause them. You really need to see a doctor right away.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 3:29 pm

I sometimes shut down and am unable to speak and/or move. Movement usually comes back before speech. Speech can be gone for quite a few hours - I type or write to communicate in these times, or don't communicate at all. It is NOT a physical issue for me but is a reaction to too many stressors happening at once.

Last time it happened I was actual in the medical centre waiting for an appointment with the GP. That time I couldn't even communicate through writing (he is familiar with me and knows that sometimes I need to type or write) so it earned me an emergency trip to the local psychiatric hospital... (definitely not a treat!).

But if it's something new to you, then it is probably worth getting checked out.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 3:34 pm

Just had a major meltdown a couple of hours ago. The horrible thing about my meltdowns is that I enter a state of uncontrolable rage and agression. Not pleasant at all and I always feel very, very ashamed afterwards.

MrJosh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2012, 2:32 pm

Jtuk,

did you manage to go to your doctor? How did it go? :)

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 2:55 pm

"Tight" head sounds like an allergy to me. We are into hay-fever seasons and I'm suffering terribly. I generally feel totally out of it when it gets to this time of year, and every year I feel worse.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 4:30 pm

Hi All,

I did go to the doctor today. He gave me a basic check over and said it's nothing serious (ie. mini-stroke). Regarding the headaches, he said it's either tension or a minor possibility it's sinusitis. So he prescribed some pain killers and a nasal spray. In all likelihood it's some sort of new anxiety/stress reaction, like yellowbanana described. I don't have any known allergies.

I'm feeling a bit better knowing it's nothing physical anyway.. Not so impressed that the outcome of 10 weeks of CBT is an evolution of my anxiety symptoms. On the plus side, when the doc was reviewing my medical history, I found that the NHS had actually accepted my private ADHD diagnosis.

Jason.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 4:39 pm

Jtuk wrote:
Hi All,

I did go to the doctor today. He gave me a basic check over and said it's nothing serious (ie. mini-stroke). Regarding the headaches, he said it's either tension or a minor possibility it's sinusitis. So he prescribed some pain killers and a nasal spray. In all likelihood it's some sort of new anxiety/stress reaction, like yellowbanana described. I don't have any known allergies.

I'm feeling a bit better knowing it's nothing physical anyway.. Not so impressed that the outcome of 10 weeks of CBT is an evolution of my anxiety symptoms. On the plus side, when the doc was reviewing my medical history, I found that the NHS had actually accepted my private ADHD diagnosis.

Jason.

Oh that's good, sorry if I panicked you with the idea of mini-strokes :oops: . I hope you feel better soon.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 5:45 pm

SilkySifaka wrote:
Oh that's good, sorry if I panicked you with the idea of mini-strokes :oops: . I hope you feel better soon.

No, you didn't. That was what was going through my mind when it was happening as it happens. Thankfully I was so still, I didn't have a chance to panic my wife :)

Jason.

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 6:28 pm

You are suffering from allergies my friend.

I don't even sneeze when I have them. My head just gets all weird and I get spaced out. Tinnutus is extremely common with allergies.

What sucks is when the medication has more side effects than the allergies themselves do, I use Flonase and now my head feels normal but I'm still l getting over the initial fatigue and confusion.

HDTV...

Whatever.

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 6:31 pm

oops

HDTV...

Whatever.