Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 2:07 pm

What damage can anger do to your body? I don't know why but my anger/anxiety is VERY bad and i am constantly exposed too things which trigger rage inside me.

I really don't know what too od because i fear my health will suffer very badly and i just want to have a happy life but that is hard when i have such bad anger problems :(

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 2:15 pm

Forget about your physiological changes (ulcers, high blood pressure, etc.) Uncontrollable anger can get you stabbed or shot if you explode on the wrong person at the wrong time.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 2:32 pm

any tips on how i can tame my anger

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 2:50 pm

I knew a guy who went from "cold" to "sizzling hot" at the drop of a dime. He knows he's bipolar and so takes medication for it. I am jealous because he eventually got married and had a kid, but I do have to be happy for him because he had a tragic past and seems to be doing much better.

I've told folks before I don't smoke weed or advocate its use but I really do believe smokers when they say it keeps them mellow. It probably works like. mood stabilizer. I drink beer and hard cider. Calms my nerves. I'm also creative so I write a lot. When I'm not writing I also play some musical instruments or play Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas or some other video game. All of these things are better than getting shot or stabbed. Trust me.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 3:16 pm

U think there is chance i might be bipolar

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 3:53 pm

I don't know. That's where a professional comes in. I do know that unabated anger in this volatile world can trigger someone else's instability. A very bad thing.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 9:14 pm

this old advice continues to be useful- get into the HABIT of counting from 1 to 10 before responding to anything anybody says or does, as long as that somebody isn't in the actual process of physically assaulting you.

winterishere
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jun 2012, 10:12 pm

Asperger's is related to poor emotion control - we can't understand or deal with emotions in proportion to our high sensory and intellectual processing rates.

When I am very angry, I do try several things (if possible):
- turn light switches on and off very fast (this actually helps a lot)
- curl into a ball and rock (find your best position, it will calm you)
- bang against walls, scream, punch stuff (not so great if you hurt yourself, and not so productive, but still...)
- breathe. think about air coming in and leaving your body.
- imagine your emotions as moving like an ocean - in linear waves away from where you can physically feel anger inside you
- be very aware of what is around you - ground yourself. think about where your feet are, what you can hear, the air around you... (and breathe again)
- count 1-2-3-4-5 repetitively (not slow, (also not too fast) and not expecting yourself to calm down at any second, just to empty yourself of whatever you're feeling, concentrate on the count)
- spin
- flap your arms like a bird (it sound weird but it helps)
- hum one note for as long as you can, loud or soft. concentrate fully on the hum.

Figure stuff out as you go. You have the power to deal with your anger. Try stuff that works. Journal.
Good luck :)

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2012, 10:14 pm

auntblabby wrote:
this old advice continues to be useful- get into the HABIT of counting from 1 to 10 before responding to anything anybody says or does, as long as that somebody isn't in the actual process of physically assaulting you.

I think this is really good advice for anyone who wants to change their own behaviours and reactions. Essentially, are you surrounded by jerks? Is that why you're angry all the time? If people are being jerky to you, maybe anger is an appropriate response. The anger could be telling you to distance yourself from that type of person.

If you're angry for no reason like that, maybe you could try some therapeutic work towards the responses you would like to have. You write down the event, followed by your feeling and then see what thoughts you had about the event and feeling, and then see what behaviour these things lead you to. If it leads you to this place you dont want to go (anger that deteriorates your health), then you would need to examine how you can change your thoughts in response to events (the events being generally out of your own control), which will improve your feelings and behaviours.

Just my two cents from what I have been taught and have personally found helpful,

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 11:59 pm

and while one is counting from one to ten, consider also the source of the irritation. one would not get mad at a barking dog, would one? consider some irritating humans to be akin to barking dogs. IOW save your energies for more important things than outbarking a mere dog on two legs, just to show him whose barks are stronger. be a BETTER PERSON than the unevolved person who is acting lousy towards you. strive to be more noble than the ignoble legions around one. :idea:

Candles15
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jun 2012, 4:59 pm

winterishere wrote:
Asperger's is related to poor emotion control - we can't understand or deal with emotions in proportion to our high sensory and intellectual processing rates.

When I am very angry, I do try several things (if possible):
- turn light switches on and off very fast (this actually helps a lot)
- curl into a ball and rock (find your best position, it will calm you)
- bang against walls, scream, punch stuff (not so great if you hurt yourself, and not so productive, but still...)
- breathe. think about air coming in and leaving your body.
- imagine your emotions as moving like an ocean - in linear waves away from where you can physically feel anger inside you
- be very aware of what is around you - ground yourself. think about where your feet are, what you can hear, the air around you... (and breathe again)
- count 1-2-3-4-5 repetitively (not slow, (also not too fast) and not expecting yourself to calm down at any second, just to empty yourself of whatever you're feeling, concentrate on the count)
- spin
- flap your arms like a bird (it sound weird but it helps)
- hum one note for as long as you can, loud or soft. concentrate fully on the hum.

Figure stuff out as you go. You have the power to deal with your anger. Try stuff that works. Journal.
Good luck :)

This is so good!

I have trouble controlling my anger as well. Usually I try and think of the consequences when I'm about to do something reckless. I've come so close to seriously hurting people and then have nightmares about me being locked up in a prison for it all my life. I think I'm less angry/ tense these days but it's not because I've learnt to deal with it, it's because I don't have many things to be angry at. I should mention that I don't get angry that often, either. I'm quite tolerating but I bottle up little things until it gets too much. So, I guess talking about your emotions can help, too.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 1:04 am

Anger can get you into a lot of fights I have a very bad temper

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 1:49 am

Joker wrote:

have you ever thought that the person who perturbs you just might not be worth your energy and attention? :idea:

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 2:22 pm

My husband went to court ordered anger management about 12 years ago. He had sort of a nervous breakdown after his dad died, and he overstepped the line with me a few times and I pressed charges. The anger management really just made him a lot worse. Not violent again or anything, he learned his lesson there, but it turned him into a real horses a**. I'm sure that some anger management therapy can help people, but this guy they had teaching him sucked at it.

You could try anger management. You could try impulse control. I have a temper and it's VERY easy for me to go off half cocked on somebody, but I've learned over the years to try and hold back and appear calm even if I'm not, because people will take me more seriously if I seem to be calm. Also, it doesn't do any good to go off on people, and it usually ruins whatever credibilit you may have had. I remind myself that I need to appear calm so I can "win" in the situation, and that I'm probably blowing things way out of proportion, and that there is always time to go off on somebody later but there is never a second chance to remain calm and appear to be reasonable. Once you blow your credibility or your reputation as a reasonable person, it's hard to get it back. The chances are slim and none and slim left town 20 years ago.

I'm not saying you have ruined anything. I'm saying that you should try to remind yourself of these things before going into a situation where you know you could lose it. Also, don't drink alcohol first. Not even one drink. Trust me on that one sweetie. It takes practice and it can take years to master it. Hell, I'm 48 and I still can't guarantee that I'll remain calm in a situation. It depends on a lot of things. But I have learned to try, and also not to expect much results the first few times. Even if you think to remind yourself to stay calm during the middle of a meltdown or a p*ssing contest, at least you remembered at some point. That's a start. If you don't remember until later, thats still a start because it's there in your mind.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 12:35 pm

I just raged at someone last night because he called this woman a "subhuman"... I'm so glad I did.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 12:41 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Joker wrote:

have you ever thought that the person who perturbs you just might not be worth your energy and attention? :idea:

I have but the only way to deal with some people is to bust them in the face.