Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Muse_of_Obscurity
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jun 2012, 8:47 pm

Anyone else here from Australia, especially in Brissy because it's soo frigging cold, I'm like layered in clothing, it's funny too because I use to live in Europe and I enjoyed the cold but since I've been back home and I've acclimatized I just can't seem to handle it! Don't mind me, I'm just ranting lol.

CokaCola
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 9:57 pm

Muse_of_Obscurity wrote:
Anyone else here from Australia, especially in Brissy because it's soo frigging cold, I'm like layered in clothing, it's funny too because I use to live in Europe and I enjoyed the cold but since I've been back home and I've acclimatized I just can't seem to handle it! Don't mind me, I'm just ranting lol.

I'm in NSW and it is bloody freezing.
It was about 15 C, but it was raining and windy(I just went out to go shopping) and let me tell you, I am so glad I decided to wear this big thick jacket!

You can find it here: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=wrongplanet

ThinkTrees
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jun 2012, 10:38 pm

Victoria, and it's worse :)

Tasmania next?

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 11:34 pm

It was 112f here the other day.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 11:36 pm

95f here.

Muse_of_Obscurity

06 Jun 2012, 12:32 am

My Dad lives out near Hardon out in NSW outback, he reckons there was some sleet at his house, it's not even winter! lol Tazzy, I think it's one of the most beautiful areas in Aus but it's quite cold even in summer! Yeah I work outside in the elements and gee am I rugged up!

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 1:21 am

I love the cold I live in melbourne but I did live in Tassie when i was younger.
Its nice to rug up in your fleecy tops and skivvies,.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 1:32 am

y'all seem to be from down under, can any of you tell me where are the temperate places [not too hot, not too cold but just goldilocks right] in australia? thanx in advance :)

LalaKitty

06 Jun 2012, 1:49 am

Morayfield/ Caboolture- yep, colder than Brissy :(

Don't ever call me normal, or I will bite you to prove you wrong.

ThinkTrees
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jun 2012, 3:46 am

auntblabby: Victoria is temperate, so is South Australia, and Tasmania is supposed to be as well, but it is really a bit colder.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 3:51 am

ThinkTrees wrote:
auntblabby: Victoria is temperate, so is South Australia, and Tasmania is supposed to be as well, but it is really a bit colder.

thanx TT :) so if my ship ever comes in will think southern. :idea: up here in yankee yahooland, it is the middle-north pacific coast [roughly from san fran up the coast to seattle] which is the temperate zone. is most of the australian population in the south?

ThinkTrees
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jun 2012, 3:57 am

I think it would be safe to say that most of the population is in Melbourne and Sydney, so South-East, followed by Brisbane (Northeast), Adelaide (South), Perth (West), and Darwin (Far-far North).
But yes, certainly not many people in the wilds up North or the centre....The Never-Never is quite sparse :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 4:01 am

ThinkTrees wrote:
I think it would be safe to say that most of the population is in Melbourne and Sydney, so South-East, followed by Brisbane (Northeast), Adelaide (South), Perth (West), and Darwin (Far-far North).
But yes, certainly not many people in the wilds up North or the centre....The Never-Never is quite sparse :)

i'm guessing that "never-never" is the outback?

ThinkTrees
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jun 2012, 4:03 am

Yes, waaay out back :)

Very beautiful, very harsh for soft little humans though.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 5:05 am

its freezing in brisbane?! the tropical north?! i mean the radio said severe weather warning but... it is bitterly cold here. it's both wet and windy.

ThinkTrees:

Quote:

im not sure if that is sarcasm. sydney is supposed to be temperate but victoria has a reputation for being wet, tasmania is cold and SA is hot. but i could be wrong. i havent been to any of those states though i have been to south NSW and the weather gets crappier as you go down. sydney is temperate.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 5:34 am

ThinkTrees wrote:
Yes, waaay out back :) Very beautiful, very harsh for soft little humans though.

i imagine then, that the real estate out back there must go for a song, then. airplane designer burt rutan [or was it his brother dick?] built a subterranean home mostly buried in the mojave desert in southern california, that has 2' thick walls insulated with alternating layers of rock wool and chickenwire, so well insulated that a typical 120F degree outside temperature is reduced to the upper 70s inside the house with NO A/C. for humidification he uses a water wheel in a little indoor pond. so if he could do it there, i am sure some enterprising bargain hunter with some $$$$$ could do it in the outback as well. i don't know, there seems to be something romantic about the outback in this yank's fevered imagination. :) i'm guessing the astronomical viewing out there is tremendous.