Musicians who have (or may have?) Asperger's Syndrome.

Page 8 of 31 [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 31  Next

themonkey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Oct 2007, 8:32 pm

NO JOHN FRUSCIANTE HAS NOT ASPERGERS!!

HE IS BEEN DOING DRUGS FOR SO LONG THAT HIS BRAIN HAS BEEN DAMAGED: HE WAS VERY NORMAL BEFORE!! IM RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS BIG FAN SO I KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT.

Sorry for big letters but i got like littlebit angry for comment that John has it.

And othet thoughts. I think 99% of people mentioned here has not asperger. I understand that people who has it WANT that some sucsessful people has it. It gives hope and proud. But im sorry a lot of peoplle mentioned here has not AS. That is a fact.

sag
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Oct 2007, 10:05 pm

hadapurpura wrote:
I think either Jack White or Meg White or both White Stripes are aspie...
Jack White definately. When he ran his own buisness no one took him seriously because he filled out forms in crayon and left poetry down the side of the furniture he moved.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 6:02 am

Todd489 wrote:
Yeah Slash is most likely AS. I know I'd have well over 100 guitars if I had the money. Hell, I almost impulse-bought a mint green fender strat at Music Center a few days ago. I already have a strat and I almost spent 250$ on another just cuz I liked the color.

Oh yeah, and Slash also always wears dark glasses which may have to do with eye-contact. And lets not forget the time he threw a fit because he lost his special top-hat in Cleveland (it was recovered late by a homeless guy who sold it back to Slash for over $1000)

don't forget GnR were doing a LOT of drugs, which can also be a cause of the eccentric behaviour of the band members... Of course it could be he has it, but we're basically speculating there.

Kaoru wrote:
I think some people are focusing way too much on lyrical points of view, you can be outcasted for different things than AS...

But Matt Bellamy (Muse) & Maynard James Keenan seem AS-ish to me...

Matt Bellamy? Not a chance I think.

tdbrown82 wrote:
I'm guessing Morrissey is too obvious for people to mention

Apart from Craig Nicholls, Gary Numan and Syd Barrett, this was the first name to come in my mind. The lyrics of the Smiths have a huge Aspie feeling (songs like How Soon Is Now, The Boy With The Thorn In His Side, There Is A Light That... say enough if you check the lyrics) and also when listening to his interviews I recognise several aspie traits. I would not be surprised at all if got it. But again, saying he definitely has it would be incorrect without a professional backing that statement.

As for Maynard James Keenan: I would be surprised. I am a big A Perfect Circle fan and a big fan of Maynard, so it would be nice if he were a fellow aspie, but I don't think his eccentric behaviour are linked to AS.

Dito for Ian McCulloch of my beloved Echo & The Bunnymen: a few fans said he has got it but I am sceptic about it. He did come out for having OCD and several EATB songs have lyrics about that (most notably The Back Of Love has lyrics clearly relating to OCD)

There are plenty of musicians with some aspie traits but that does not make them an aspie. I think we may better stick to diagnosed musicians for the sake of keeping the topic informative rather than a speculating game.

I believe Mozart would have been diagnosed with AS if he had lived in our era.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 6:24 am

Jack White? Really? Would be cool.

themonkey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Oct 2007, 8:00 am

Sorry I littlebit overreact. I mean John Frusciante had ONE OR TWO treat that can caunt as asperger traits. Yes, he knew a lot about Jimi Hendrix and at 8 could play all his songs but that it, he was sosially NORMAL!! SO PLEASE PUT OUT JOHN FRUSCIANTE OF THE LIST! One trait doesn't make anybody asperger!

And sorry yes I believe that some people mentioned here have as after I red this thread. So Im taking bag my words that 99% people mentioned here not have as. But still remember that 1, 2 or even more traits doesnt make yet somebody asperger.

themonkey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Oct 2007, 8:06 am

And yes I have asperger.

I mean nothing wrong about speculation if somebody have as but it bother me if some say IM SURE he have, without any facts. Sorry but that is just dumb.

Lazarus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Oct 2007, 2:47 pm

Since my diagnosis I've played the game of trying to decide who else has got it, and musically, one name stands out above all others. Moby.

Regarding Aphex Twin as well I'm pretty confident that yes, he's an aspie too. Both he and Moby are true solo perfectionists who tinker with a vast spectrum of styles yet all of which capture their own unique sound. I think it's fair to say a lot of EDM producers will be the same - in fact, I'd say it's probably an advantage :)

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Oct 2007, 3:00 pm

Bjork

I don't see how Mozart would have been diagnosed with aspergers. Explain.

Beethoven however.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 4:23 pm

Kitsy wrote:
Bjork

I don't see how Mozart would have been diagnosed with aspergers. Explain.

Beethoven however.

Mozart was extremely obsessive with his music from a very very early age. That could be an indication. He was not the most talkative person neither, he was always busy composing.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

Dhp
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2009, 11:23 pm

Peter Gabriel, an aspie? LMAO!! As if! He is very social in public, he has a wife and a daughter. He was a little bit shyin the beginning of his career with Genesis, but he in his acting and singing obviously shows that he understands body gestures and cues. He does have depression (or did have that). Also, he does not think in such literal terms; he can get quite abstract.

Okay, people, David Bowie does NOT have AS. However, we was a coke addict in the mid 70s. He easily recognizes social cues, body gestures, and maintains eye contact very well.

What surprised me was James Taylor. Yes, that singer/songwriter has AS.

Frank Zappa with AS? I really doubt it, but then again, he was very sarcastic and brutal with the social norms and with people.

Joey Ramone was diagnosed with OCD.

Brian May an aspie? I don't think so; he is shy, but easily maintains eye contact and socially communicates very well.

At this rate, why don't we only consider the most talented people to be aspies (extreme sarcasm)? Please, people, do your research. Talent has nothing to do with whether you're an aspie or not. Many aspies are talented, but there is no measured correlation between the two. Many musicians have just bipolar, or just depression, or maybe they are just shy or have social phobia. Many aspies are not talented at all. Being musically talented does not mean that one is an aspie!

The same thing goes for Math. Leibiniz was a party dude of his time (extremely social and charming) but he developed integral calculus. Should we state that Leibiniz is an aspie? Nah.

oli234
Toucan
Toucan

04 Apr 2009, 3:41 pm

Jarvis Cocker said in an interview recently that his wife though he was "slightly autistic" which could mean aspie. And it makes a bit of sense, he fits that aspie geek sterotype pretty well.

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

05 Apr 2009, 8:18 am

Miranda wrote:
Wasn't it documented that Kurt Cobain had bipolar disoder?

It's often been speculated - I seem to remember someone in his family saying that other male members of the family had been diagnosed as bipolar (and two of his uncles also killed themselves), but he was never formally diagnosed as far as I know. He was diagnosed with ADHD and put on Ritalin as a child. You can't assume AS as well from that, though. Even discounting the influence of various controlled substances, it's perfectly possible he was just plain weird.

I think you're on very dodgy ground trying to work out whether anyone has AS if they don't explicitly say they have it (especially if they're no longer with us). The only musicians I know of to whom that would definitely apply would be Craig Nichols, Gary Numan and recently, Ladyhawke.

Bizzy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Apr 2009, 9:58 am

Isaac Brock of Modest Mouse and Conor Oberst. But maybe that's just because I relate so well to their lyrics. Kurt Cobain, I could see that, too.

FerrariMike_40
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Apr 2009, 9:45 pm

themonkey wrote:
NO JOHN FRUSCIANTE HAS NOT ASPERGERS!!

HE IS BEEN DOING DRUGS FOR SO LONG THAT HIS BRAIN HAS BEEN DAMAGED: HE WAS VERY NORMAL BEFORE!! IM RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS BIG FAN SO I KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT.

Sorry for big letters but i got like littlebit angry for comment that John has it.

And othet thoughts. I think 99% of people mentioned here has not asperger. I understand that people who has it WANT that some sucsessful people has it. It gives hope and proud. But im sorry a lot of peoplle mentioned here has not AS. That is a fact.

Finally,someone who agrees with me! I don`t listen to Red Hot Chili Peppers but I think that these guys like Kurt Cobain and Slash just seem distant because of the drugs. Also,Muse is one of the few rock bands I do listen to and although Matt Bellamy seems AS if you read his lyrics,him and these other rockers are on a blaringly loud stage in front of thousands of people 4 or 5 times a week,I know that is something I could not handle!

If you want to find Aspies in music,look at a lot of the great classical composers,for many reasons. They could write and work at their own time and in solitude,they were,in my opinion,more gifted and attentive to detail than modern musicians and had more passion for their music than their appearance,which is the opposite of a lot of the musicians nowadays.

Maurice Ravel jumps out as having hfa to me,and I am a big fan of his work. (as you can see from my avatar) He was introverted in himself,and obsessed with composing so much that he never had any kind of a real romantic relationship. Most of what I have read about him said that he loved only Paris,his mother and his music. The extreme attention to detail in his work (String Quartet In F Major and Tzigane are my favorites) and the repetitiveness is something that I think only an autistic genius could come up with.

cantexactlysay
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Apr 2009, 5:48 pm

Paul Masvidal of the great prog metal band Cynic might be mildly autistic. Check out this interview clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHyfVgY8 ... playnext=1

sm0kenmirrhurz92
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Apr 2009, 7:47 pm

cantexactlysay wrote:
Paul Masvidal of the great prog metal band Cynic might be mildly autistic.

I never noticed this...I love Cynic and also Masvidal's work on Death's Human album...I can definitely see characteristics in his mannerisms similar to my own.