Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 11:16 pm

Do you guys frequently have unexpected reactions from people, like, when you strike up a conversation? Like, I was reading an online forum about dolls because it just seemed like something to do at the time, and I came across a thread for guys who are in dolls. Though I'm not a guy and I"m not into dolls, the thread seemed cute; the guys talked about teddy bears and stuff, and one even talked about how he was worried about being seen as abnormal because he would have conversations with his teddy bears when he came home, a fact the others assured him was normal. I then told another person who was there at the time about it, saying "look, isn't that sweet?" and immediately she started responding with innuendos about blow up dolls which are supposed to be for male enjoyment, which I didn't expect at all. Then I told her it wasn't about that, and she started talking about how if I really want to buy a doll, then I should go do it.

Needless to say, I found the conversation very confusing.

I've had this a lot, where people when I converse with them will take conversations in weird directions, leaving me feeling misunderstood and confused.

Do you guys have that too?

nerdfiles
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jun 2012, 11:25 pm

Yes. More often lately people have been confessing to me, spilling their guts as it were, as I have recently learned how to make eye contact (but too much).

An 18 year old girl randomly dove into a rant about a recent lover who expressed deep affection for her. After she expressed her lack of similar feelings to him, he prompted her with something along the lines, "Well, I have many guy friends."

After she told me this, I was feel with intense rage. I darted off on my bike to chase down cars on a busy street. I did not realize the source of my anger until the next day, shortly before bumping into her: I found his emotions to be "inconsistent" or at least the expression of them for that situation to be "inconsistent."

Generally, I couldn't understand why she felt she needed to share that with me anyway. We were hanging out at a Greek-style coffeebar.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 11:27 pm

Yes. I just think they can't even read or they have poor reading skills or I think I can't even word things right.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

CallMeAllie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jun 2012, 1:46 am

Will you share the area where guys talk about dolls and stuffed bears? I'm very curious. :)

As for your question, yes. Sometimes I think we are talking about one thing, and they thing we're talking about another thing. It can be confusing.

CallMeAllie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jun 2012, 1:58 am

Will you share the area where guys talk about dolls and stuffed bears? I'm very curious. :)

As for your question, yes. Sometimes I think we are talking about one thing, and they thing we're talking about another thing. It can be confusing.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 2:50 am

CallMeAllie wrote:

That has happened to me to as well. What else is funny is sometimes I realize me and another person are on the same page and we were both arguing about it when we both actually agree.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 4:10 am

Happens to me all the time. I just don't get why people can't say what they actually mean. The worst situations arise from misunderstandings, and what i hate the most are those idiotic sexual innuendo in response to statements that were not at all meant sexually.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 9:49 am

Just the other day I was talking to someone and spent 5 minutes or so thinking we were both talking about the same thing, then it became obvious that they weren't reallly listening to me. Things like that don't motivate me to be verbal