tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2012, 10:33 pm

I did.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

06 Jul 2012, 10:41 pm

Only during the fifth grade, during my stint in a special ed class.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 10:46 pm

Verdandi wrote:

Yep, got so sick of it that i walked to school the following year

JML101582
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 10:51 pm

I rode the little bus my whole public school life from 1985 to 2001!

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

06 Jul 2012, 10:52 pm

ghoti wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

I liked it, really. Got along with everyone else on the bus (all of whom were in my class). I didn't realize there was any associated stigma until my 20s.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 11:03 pm

I road my bike to school in middle school. In elementary school I took the normal bus. My cat went with me to the bus stop :). I walked him on a leash :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 11:12 pm

I rode the short bus to elementary school.

ComposerGal1928
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jul 2012, 11:35 pm

From about seventh grade to my senior year of high school, my dad drove me and my brother to school. He works at my high school (which was about a ten-minute walk from the junior high), so it was really convienent. My senior year, though, my brother drove our car to the technical school in our district (he went there in the morning) while Dad took me to school, and then when I went to the technical school in the afternoon, I drove myself home.

I never rode the short bus. Probably because autism and Asperger's where just starting to get popularity around my sixth grade year. Even so, I probably wouldn't even be allowed on there because I'd be classified as "normal".

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 12:27 am

I rode the regular bus and waited at the stop up until 7th grade, when the bus began stopping at my house. Rode the short one during freshman and sophomore years, then I began to bike or skateboard

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 12:31 am

I was lucky not to have to ride a bus at all; either my parents drove me or I was home-schooled. Even as an adult, buses stress me out so much that I'm no good at anything for the rest of the day. I wouldn't have been able to take advantage of school very much if I'd had to take a bus.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 12:40 am

I never rode the "short bus," but I'm willing to bet it was far quieter than the hooligans (the only nice and clean word I can use to describe them) on the normal bus.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 12:48 am

I rode the little bus most of my life. I do know the associations with the small school bus. I only had the regular school bus a few times (mainly after I moved up to Washington State). Of course it was awful due to bullying. I even knew where the bullies lived. I felt challenged in the short bus. I truly did. I know what they are meant for. I have been in special ed most of my life, even in college (while its not called special ed) I was in remedial classes. I remember the entrance exam in college. I scored so low that I had to go into the lowest class. I'll do anything for Brainpower.

PixelPony
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jul 2012, 12:51 am

They weren't screening for ASDs when I was a kid. A shame though, I may well have preferred the short bus. The regular bus was awful. Wouldn't have changed being picked on anyway. I was gifted and a teacher's pet.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 1:22 am

I did up until age eight. Then I went to my new school and was in regular ed so I rode the normal bus. I rode the short bus because it went around picking up special kids who were in special ed and we all went to this elementary school that had special classrooms for us. Then when I was in preschool, the short buses did go around picking up special kids too who went to that school. It was ran by the school district so my parents didn't even have to pay anything for me to go, only their taxes did. Plus the bus would also drop me off at daycare and pick me up which I hated because I hated being there but was always happy when the bus would come and pick me up because it got me out of there.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 7:00 am

Verdandi wrote:
ghoti wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

I liked it, really. Got along with everyone else on the bus (all of whom were in my class). I didn't realize there was any associated stigma until my 20s.

They put me in the special ed class with all the troublemakers, making me an easy target, and those were the same ones who rode on that bus.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 7:30 am

I rode the short bus from seventh grade until I quit school.

I had no choice. My mother didn't drive and they sent me to schools that were far away.

In seventh grade they sent me to be in a special class in a normal school that took the bus two hours to get to. I get carsick a lot so it was awful. I was the first to get picked up and the last to get dropped off. Everyone else got picked up in front of their home and waited inside until the bus got there. They picked me up two blocks away from my house. My mother and I would have to be out there by 6 AM waiting and in the winter it was dark and freezing out.

I only went there one year. I was in a different school every year.

Not surprisingly the year I went to that school I was absent over 100 days.

Last edited by hanyo on 07 Jul 2012, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.