Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 12:30 pm

I ran across this article about the changes in Hetero-sexual intimacy I though y'all would enjoy it.
It shows that hugging or even cuddling with dudes does not make a person gay.
Sleeping with dudes on the other hand still might.
Of course there are several things worse than being gay.
(being a homophobe comes to mind.)
enjoy the rest of the article here.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 1:48 pm

d'aaawwww!! !

Those photos are ADORABLE!

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 4:05 pm

One of my hopes is that the slashing of homophobia in popular culture will allow men to be close friends again.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 4:05 pm

Those guys look so much alike that they were probably brothers.
In fact you have to look at them long to see that they are not twins.

So its not quite the same as two unrelated guys.

But in a way you're right - that we can take things from another time out of context.

It looks like an 1840 or 50's tin-type ( deguerratype) that took hours to pose in front of and was expensive. So there were fewer photo oportunities than there were people back then. So you had to squeeze into the picture as best you could.

Likewise there were more people than beds in the frontier days. Nowadays folks look back on the fact that Lincoln slept in a bed with a male roomate in his youth as evidence that he was gay. Both modern aspies and modern gays are eager to claim Abe Lincoln as their own, and both will grasp at any straw of out of context evidence. But alas its wishful thinking . Its doubtful that he was either gay or aspie!

Guppy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Aug 2012, 4:16 pm

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 4:23 pm

LKL wrote:
One of my hopes is that the slashing of homophobia in popular culture will allow men to be close friends again.
Yeah I must have no close friends at all since I wouldn't do certain poses with them :roll:.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 4:33 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
LKL wrote:
Yeah I must have no close friends at all since I wouldn't do certain poses with them :roll:.

What bro, you and your bros don't bro out with duckfaces for bromantic Facebook pics, bro

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 4:52 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Those guys look so much alike that they were probably brothers.
In fact you have to look at them long to see that they are not twins.

So its not quite the same as two unrelated guys.

But in a way you're right - that we can take things from another time out of context.

It looks like an 1840 or 50's tin-type ( deguerratype) that took hours to pose in front of and was expensive. So there were fewer photo oportunities than there were people back then. So you had to squeeze into the picture as best you could.

Likewise there were more people than beds in the frontier days. Nowadays folks look back on the fact that Lincoln slept in a bed with a male roomate in his youth as evidence that he was gay. Both modern aspies and modern gays are eager to claim Abe Lincoln as their own, and both will grasp at any straw of out of context evidence. But alas its wishful thinking . Its doubtful that he was either gay or aspie!

look at the rest of the pictures it really is striking Some are clearly friends some may be "gay" but I don't think most are.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 5:49 pm

an interesting collection of photographs. it's strange how the behaviour of men in modern western society is so much governed by wanting not to appear gay.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

meems
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 5:55 pm

Vigilans wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
LKL wrote:

What bro, you and your bros don't bro out with duckfaces for bromantic Facebook pics, bro

I laughed so hard when I read this I almost choked to death on a jolly rancher.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 5:58 pm

meems wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
LKL wrote:

:lol: oops, I should have warned you. It is best not to eat hard candy when reading Vigilans

meems
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 6:40 pm

What you should do is invest in a proper warning label. ^_~

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 1:09 am

AceOfSpades wrote:
LKL wrote:

I will rephrase: '...will allow men to be overtly close friends, and to demonstrate their affection in public.'

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 2:16 am

Vigilans wrote:
meems wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
LKL wrote:

:lol: oops, I should have warned you. It is best not to eat hard candy when reading Vigilans

Or drink tea or coffee.

Please get a warning label since you like to change your avatar. :razz:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 2:44 am

I had had a professor back in my college days who had spoken of a trip he had taken to Korea, where it was common place for straight men to lay on the park grass together with arms around each others shoulders. Very different from the homophobic fear of touching another male in this country.
And yes, I admit it - - I'm just as afraid of being perceived as overly touchy with another guy as any other American man.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 6:15 am

Sad, but my first reaction to a lot of those pictures was "wow, that's really gay."

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View