Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 12:36 am

I've been told by my mother that I don't seem to have much common sense. She says I'm very intelligent when it comes to books and reading, but when it comes to figuring things out on my own, I seem to have more problems. And the "common sense" gene apparently never activated itself in me. I can do really stupid stuff. Anyone else have this problem? Sounds like a major Asperger's issue to me.

infilove
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 12:49 am

I absolutely relate! Oh boy do I really mean I relate to this one. Not only it drives me crazy but it drives other people crazy too. On top of it, it's hard because it makes you appear that you don't really care when doing things when in reality it's not the case and people get upset for thinking that. I've been wanting to do what ever I can to overcome this but i haven't seemed to be successful in hacking it yet. I find it makes life hard in almost every area, especially in trying to make a decent living.

I've noticed like me, you seem to be a creative person as well enjoying creative related things like photography ect. I wonder if part of the problem has to due with the fact that we're right minded thinkers? I'm interested in reading what other people have to say about this and weather most others with AS have the same problem?

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 1:51 am

I can give very sound advice but seem to be unable to follow my own advice.

Mike_Garrick
Toucan
Toucan

04 Sep 2012, 1:58 am

I think that we aren't the ones lacking common sense, but rather the only ones with it.

The rest of the world are the ones lacking common sense, but when we can't understand their twisted logic they blame it on us.

helles
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 2:35 am

Mike_Garrick wrote:
I think that we aren't the ones lacking common sense, but rather the only ones with it.

The rest of the world are the ones lacking common sense, but when we can't understand their twisted logic they blame it on us.

Yes

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Sep 2012, 2:41 am

I m actually pretty good at doing practical things. I just do it differently than others, but I tend to get the same result. It is a learned skill, however. When I was a child, I could do almost nothing tht involved practical application of common sense principles.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 3:57 am

helles wrote:
Mike_Garrick wrote:

Yes

Agreed.

MissMoneypenny
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Sep 2012, 7:57 am

Common sense: "The level of mind-reading expected by those who have neither the inclination or aptitude to explain things properly."

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 8:30 am

A witty refrain I've heard way too often..."When God was giving out brains, you thought he said trains and said no thanks." I'm still not always on the right page for a situation, but I have improved.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 9:20 am

I have a different take on the words : common sense - and I don't want any. That is thinking, or rather 'not-thinking' - like the masses. I wonder if words such as "zero tolerance for inane activities" would work better? :wink:

Erminetheawkward
Raven
Raven

04 Sep 2012, 9:32 am

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
- Einstein, a likely fellow aspie

Sure, not having the same "sense" as everyone else is problematic, but it also allows for new/different thinking.

Canaspie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 10:20 am

I've been hearing this one for as long as I can remember

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 11:12 am

Actually that's one thing I don't lack (although I agree with Einstein's quote). However, my brother has almost zero common sense even with a sky high IQ yet I'm the Aspie. The only thing I'm utterly clueless about are new social situations and intimate relationships.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

04 Sep 2012, 11:14 am

Fiz wrote:
helles wrote:
Mike_Garrick wrote:

Yes

Agreed.

+1

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 11:25 am

My big momma use to say: Baby, common sense, ain't so common. LoL.

Life teaches you things that a book or a laboratory experiment can not.

There is a difference between knowledge and wisdom.

TheSunAlsoRises

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 11:25 am

Yep yep. I have been told I have no common sense. I know I do have common sense because there are things I do know and I think all of us have common sense. Take a look at dumb 911 calls people do or dumbest things people do that we may never dream of ever doing, now that tells us we do have common sense. Plus I think everyone lacks common sense. We all have times where we didn't use it.

I think the reason why they say we don't have it or that we are not good at it is because of how we process things. Like for example, someone tells you to put a load in the washing machine. You do just that and leave it. But you didn't put soap in it and turn it on. Now that person may say you didn't use common sense because everyone knows you are to start the load. We know this too but because we were not told to put soap in it and turn it on, we didn't know we were supposed to do that too. Maybe that person was going to start the load and he or she just wanted us to put the load in to save them time. Maybe they were going to have someone else to put the soap in for them and turn it on. But to the other person who told us to put a load in, they assume we lacked common sense when we had these other ideas in our head about why we were told to put a load in. So basically this would be using our common sense right? This is how our mind work and process things.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.