Are there any Autists in video games?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 2:01 pm

Do you know of any examples?

The only one I could name is Kaidan Alenko in Mass Effect. No, nobody ever says that he's autistic, but some of his comments match Asperger's, if you ask me. He says stuff like "too many lights, too many colours" when you take him into a nightclub, and he mentions that he finds fountains "soothing". He's also a pretty calm, soft-spoken guy.

Oh, no, actually I CAN think of another example, and this one is ALSO in Mass Effect and, most importantly, confirmed. I think of David Whatshisname in the DLC Overlord (which, as a funny coincidence, sounds quite a lot like "Overload"). He's clearly autistic, which makes it even worse that he's part of an experiment that has his eyes being open all the time and his ears having to listen to the "voices" of a million robot programs without any way to escape.

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 2:38 pm

The only one that comes to mind is Link, and even then I don't believe it. It was just some half arsed theory I read once about possible reasons why Link doesn't talk.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 2:40 pm

Boxman108 wrote:
The only one that comes to mind is Link, and even then I don't believe it. It was just some half arsed theory I read once about possible reasons why Link doesn't talk.

Oh god, that's hilarious. Traits of autism: not speaking, breaking into houses and smashing pots.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 2:48 pm

Sam from "Sam and Max".

The scene where he's talking to his shrink.

Sam: I see... a painting
Max: Maybe it means you're autistic!
Shrink: Hm... well it could be a form of post-modern autism.

MinorAnnoyance
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Sep 2012, 3:37 pm

Oh, no, actually I CAN think of another example, and this one is ALSO in Mass Effect and, most importantly, confirmed. I think of David Whatshisname in the DLC Overlord (which, as a funny coincidence, sounds quite a lot like "Overload")...[/quote]It is specifically said that he is autistic.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 3:50 pm

MinorAnnoyance wrote:
Oh, no, actually I CAN think of another example, and this one is ALSO in Mass Effect and, most importantly, confirmed. I think of David Whatshisname in the DLC Overlord (which, as a funny coincidence, sounds quite a lot like "Overload")...
It is specifically said that he is autistic.[/quote]

That's why I said that it's confirmed. :wink:

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2012, 4:50 pm

Gordon Freeman (of Half Life fame) is a theoretical physicist who never talks.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 11:36 pm

Miles "Tails" Prower. He is too obsessed with machines, his genius with them is comparable to Eggman's and, most important of all, he follows Sonic everywhere. Everybody knows that autistics love Sonic.

In fact, the obsession of people on the spectrum with Sonic is enough to qualify Eggman, Metal Sonic and Amy Rose as autistics, too. They are all obsessed with Sonic. :P

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 9:11 am

Sanctus wrote:
Boxman108 wrote:

Oh god, that's hilarious. Traits of autism: not speaking, breaking into houses and smashing pots.

Well the alternative is another theory I read about Link apparently being a tree, so I' not sure what's worse. :P

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 10:30 am

David Archer is the only confirmed autistic character in Mass Effect Trilogy and that was in Mass Effect 2 and was in the DLC "Overlord". Amy in the video game "Amy" is an autistic 8 yr old girl.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 10:45 am

I think the recent Borderlands 2 mentioned that a character called Patricia Tannis has Asperger's tendencies, although some of her craziness is beyond that. This is a character who has such a great fear of social interaction that will do things like tie dead animals to the front of her house, has suffered a major nosebleed out of the stress of being in a conversation, and mentioned suprise at having only a mild reaction to be called pretty being only a few hours of "dry heaving", and surprise that she did not have a problem with a conversation, and said conversation was a pretty simple back and forward.

And then there is some attachment she has had with inanimate objects, although that is mostly her crazy.

47x
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Sep 2012, 4:35 am

Maybe not Autistic, but Merril from Dragon Age 2 definitely have some Aspergers. She always says she's making a mess out of conversations, she always answers to rhetorical questions, she's so naive and she always takes things literally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVPUitq12GA

Other quotes:

"Being First to the Keeper. I was always... a bit secluded. I studied magic and history while the others were learning the Vir Tanadhal. It's good that I left. I'd have made a terrible keeper. I was never that good with people."