Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2012, 10:10 pm

Just curious...what is the difference between bisexual and pansexual. I always assumed that bisexual meant attraction to anybody is possible, but now I am reading that this is wrong? Can someone clarify?

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

revertigo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2012, 10:27 pm

It is contraversial and you will not be able to get more than opinions either way that may help you in making up your own. But i will attempt to simplify.

Some argue that bisexual is attraction to male and female and pansexual is attraction to male, female and transgender.
Some argue that bisexual is the attraction to male, female and transgender and that pansexual is just a word people use to attempt to be cool and different.
Some argue that bisexual is the attraction to male and female and that they will consider a transgender to be the gender they are transitioning to and therefor there is no need for pansexual as it is segregating transgenders.

I may have missed some more that people would argue, but those are the main.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2012, 10:37 pm

Not trying to be controversial, but that is how I saw it: people who were attracted to transgender are still attracted to either a male or a female. When I saw the def for pansexual, it included transgender, so I got confused. Seems to me most (or all?) transgender people want to be considered a gender, just not the one they were born into. *shrug* Not a huge deal, so I hope this doesn't get controversial. Just a curiousity.

revertigo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2012, 10:46 pm

I know you arn't trying to be controversial, It's the topic that is controversial not you. But It isn't that big of a deal to be honest just alot of different opinions is all.
You seem to me that you would go for the seconed or third argument but not the first. Just make an opinion you are happy with and that is all you can do as not everyone agrees on the word pansexual.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 12:59 pm

Because people exist outside of the gender binaries. Some trans people fit into those binaries, but not everybody does. Pansexual covers all forms of gender identity and expression.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 1:00 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
people who were attracted to transgender are still attracted to either a male or a female.

What about people who don't identify as male or female? What about intersex people?

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 2:16 pm

Rorberyllium wrote:
littlelily613 wrote:
people who were attracted to transgender are still attracted to either a male or a female.

What about people who don't identify as male or female? What about intersex people?

Yes, I am aware there are others, but I was specifically referring to trans. When I saw that definition online somewhere else about pansexual being attracted to male, female, and trans, that's where I was confused. But I am aware there are people that don't identify as either.

Last edited by littlelily613 on 13 Oct 2012, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 2:18 pm

revertigo wrote:
You seem to me that you would go for the seconed or third argument but not the first.

Definitely not the first. I am beginning to see it now as bi= male, female (whether trans or not), and pan= everybody I listed in the bi category and everyone else not listed in the bi category.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 2:47 pm

Pan doesn't also have to mean attracted to "everybody", it mostly just means that the gender identity or biological sex of a person is inconsequential.

That's why a lot of people prefer the "Queer" label these days, and then specify what traits/identities/expressions they find attractive.

As someone who is agender and intersex, I tend to avoid people who identify as gay, straight, or bi, unless they're willing to approach things with an open mind. This is because a lot of them don't understand who I am or what that means, and instead of seeking understanding would rather put me into whatever category works for them, which isn't something I'm okay with. Except in certain scenarios, I'm not okay with being objectified as a gender.

Vatnos
Raven
Raven

14 Oct 2012, 6:21 pm

Pan was designed as a more modern, politically correct term to describe bisexual. I am skeptical that it describes a type of attraction that is different enough to be considered a separate sexuality. Rather, I think it just signifies whether someone is open-minded enough to date people outside the binaries or not, or if they go for androgyny instead of strongly masculine/feminine characteristics.

And it doesn't apply to transsexuals. Only intersex, genderqueer, and '3rd gender' identities.

Most people who are bi are also pan. Some aren't, but many of us that are don't feel the need to carry the 'pan' label full time. To me it would be like asking someone if they're gay, and then they respond "actually I'm a bear"... well... okay. That's one type of gay, but it's still gay. Similarly, Pan is one type of way you can be bi; not the only way, but wearing the term as a standalone sexuality unto itself seems ridiculous to me. I think it's a clarification.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 6:40 am

I prefer the term pansexual to bisexual, basically because 'bi' suggests that there are 2 sexes (male and female), thus excludes intersex people and anyone else who doesn't see themself fitting neatly into one or the other gender (whether the person means to exclude them or not). I am quite pedantic, so I would only say I was bisexual if I was only attracted to those who identified themselves as male or female.

sara4767
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Oct 2012, 6:41 pm

I'm gay, so I can't really speak to this, but from what I've read, there's only a subtle difference. Bi does not exclude trans people. The difference is the love itself or the expression of it. As far as I know, to be bisexual means you love anyone, male or female, cis or trans, and it's the same if you're pan. It's just that if you're bi, supposedly your love for a person is somewhat linked to their gender, i.e., most bi people prefer one over the other. If you're pan, it doesn't matter - they say your love is "gender-blind". To the best of my knowledge.

Marshmallows
Raven
Raven

29 Oct 2012, 10:21 pm

Pansexual refers to the attraction to all (or regardless of) reproductive sexes and gender identities. so it includes genderqueer, andro, intersexed etc.

I'm Pansexual and run the pansexualFTW twitter tumblr and fb page :)

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 7:01 am

I think pan means you're attracted to anything as long as it's human. :lol:

I consider myself pan, because I'm always changing. I do gear towards the opposite sex but I can find anyone attractive if they're aesthetically pleasing to my eyes/ears etc.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 11:52 pm

pansexual are basicaly bisexuals who also are attractive to transgender folks.
It just another fancy word for bisexuality

meems
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 12:40 am

billiscool wrote:
pansexual are basicaly bisexuals who also are attractive to transgender folks.
It just another fancy word for bisexuality

Aren't you a straight dude? I'm not saying you shouldn't post in here, either way. But who are you to decide what people are or aren't? For some people, it's not so simple and easy.