Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Pokelover14
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2012, 2:50 am

So my mom was admitted to the hospital earlier today. She has pneumonia and a few auto immune desesis. So it is a big deal but it doesn't phase me. I have a lack of emotion except in extreme cercumstances. But tomorrow I finally have a chance to see my friend that I talked about in a previous post. My mom said I could have someone over to look after me. My friend is 18 so he is legal. I called some other people and they are all busy. I really want to have my friend over at my house and to play some games. My mom won't be out until atleast Tuesday. Don't worry about me I live in a complex with neighbors that know my mom is in the hospital and I can come and ask for anything any time. I don't know wether this is my chance to finally get my friend over. I don't know why this would be a bad idea. Also I know that I will be fine this happens about 4-5 times a year and I am use to running the house. I know to check the stove to make sure it is off after I use it. I look the doors but. For some reason I have this weird feeling in my gut that something is going to go bad. I worry stuff like I would run out of meds, I would run out of food, or the thing I always worry about are robbers. I know that isn't likely but what if a robber found out I was home alone and thought it would be easy. Anyway. Should I tell my friend not to come. Should I go to his house.

the_beautiful_mess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2012, 6:01 am

Tell him to come.

Really, you know that there is a more than 99% chance that you will be fine, and to have a friend has got to be good to keep you calmer and happier for a while. :)

:elephant:

'I sometimes go to my own little world, but that's okay, they know me there.' ~ Joel Hodgson

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 6:18 am

It depends on the genders involved and the other person. If the person is the same gender and both people are heterosexual then I wouldn't worry as much. If I were a parent though, I would worry if you were a girl and your friend was male. On the other hand, if you have known them for a long time and know you can trust them, that's one thing. If this is a more casual acquaintance though, I would think twice. Being an aspie, you might find yourself in a situation you are not equipped to handle, like if they bring over a bunch of people and trash the place, knowing you won't be able to stop them. If it smells bad to you then reschedule for another time.

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Oct 2012, 6:27 am

Worrying is not good if you don't have a reason. That is so easily said, I know ...

But, if you'd miss something you would just go and buy it. That is never a problem

Or you would order pizza or ... whatever.

And, regarding keeping the household. It doesn't matter if you wouldn't manage it perfectly.

Anyway I'd suggest that you always take any chances to see your friends.

In that way it wouldn't be too good to phone him/her and cancel. The risk that you'll not be able to come to his/her house is big.
And then you'd feel stupid and disappointed if that would happen.

If you friend is a girl and you are interested, avoid changes in the last minute I'd say. Just try to have a nice time and try to cut down being nervous.

mljt
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2012, 7:45 am

Can you not get someone to come and look after you and also have your friend over to play games?

Having your friend round and having someone to look after you are two different things. Focus on getting someone to look after you first. Are the people in the hospital aware your mum has a 14 year old who's home alone??

MaKin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Oct 2012, 9:53 am

you mentioned neighbors. if there is someone of the neighbors that you feel comfortable talking to, maybe you could tell them your concerns and ask if you can call on them if you need help.
look at your meds and foods and make a point of seeing how many days your supplies would normally last you.

have you run into problems in the past of running short on foods and medicines? if so, did you have somebody to call for help with getting more? if you didn't and it happens this time, call your neighbor or your friend's parents and let them know what is going on. most people understand such circumstances and will help until your mother can repay them.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 10:08 am

I have been away awhile, so do not know about this friend.

Does your mother not allow this friend in the house? If she doesn't, why not? I really don't think it is a good idea to have this friend over if your mom does not allow him/her into the house when she is there. She may be picking up on some signals that you are not. As a mother, I can tell you that there are certain kids I would allow my son to be home alone with when he is a bit older, and there are certain kids I would let him have over when I was home, but not alone, and certain others that I don't want in my house period.

And just because your friend is 18 and (legal) does not mean they are a good choice as far as someone to look after you. It is not like you magically become responsible when you are 18 and it seems to me that some kids magically become more irresponsible when they turn 18 because suddenly they think they have become "adults" because a date on the calendar come and gone. There is a lot more to being an adult and having good judgment than turning 18.

Count out your meds right now and make a plan for what you are going to eat for each meal for each day. Make sure you have enough meds and enough food. If you realize you don't, go to a trusted neighbor for help.

Do NOT tell any kids at school that you are home alone. In fact, do not tell anyone who doesn't already know. There are people out there who could take advantage of that information.

I worry for you. Yet on the other hand, I think it is completely possible for a 15 year old to be at home alone safely. Try to keep your routines and patterns as close to usual as possible. If you are afraid, do not be ashamed to ask for help. Being alone can be scary, especially when you know that you might not be aware when others are trying to trick you. Remember that your ability to read social cues is impaired. I don't want you to feel like you should be paranoid, but I don't think now is the time to take any risks either.

I hope your mom gets better soon.