Thrift Store Clothes and older clothing

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ravenloft68
Raven
Raven

04 Nov 2012, 11:28 am

It may have nothing to do with AS. I however, just LOVE going to thrift stores and finding clothes either of a very comfortable material and/or vintage manufacture. It seems that many older shirts,coats etc. were made better and the quality of materials, construction and detail is superior than what they just "Throw Together" now in China.
If it's AS related, I guess I must have that "Quality Feel" on my skin. Well too, why pay $15.00 for a shirt when I can pay $3.00? Or, $6.00 for a pair of jeans instead of $30.00 with no holes or wear of any kind? Maybe it's thereputic in a way :).

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 11:50 am

For me the appeal is from not wanting to see good items being recklessly discarded, alongside the attractive pricing and certain cosplay items I hunt for. The tradeoff is the bright lights, the loud announcements on the PA, the yelling and running kids, the inattentive parents talking loudly and jamming the aisles, and the long lines at the checkout

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 11:57 am

I used to buy clothes at thrift stores and it wasn't for sensory input. It was because I liked buying things I liked and it had to be comfortable on me of course. I quit doing it when I had too many clothes and I decided I had enough clothes now. I quit growing so these clothes would be fitting me for life so it's not like I be buying clothes and then having to get rid of them and then buy more. Plus they're cheap. I have gotten rid of some of my clothes over the years and got rid of more when I moved into our house. It's never easy getting rid of things.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ravenloft68
Raven
Raven

04 Nov 2012, 12:07 pm

Yeah, I also like finding some real high-quality "Gems" along with the rags, that are in such good condition it would be a crime to just toss it. I'm pretty picky but I have a knack for combing trough many items before something special catches my eye. I once found a rare 1960s Baracuta Rain Coat (Made in England) in perfect condition for $5.00.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 12:10 pm

I buy clothes from thrift stores because I don't have money to buy them anywhere else. That said, I buy all preppy brands.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 12:48 pm

I shop in thrift stores because it's possible to find stuff there that is indistinguishable from new, so paying full price just seems stupid.

Pompei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Nov 2012, 1:00 pm

I prefer to buy at outlet malls. There are some great deals on new name brand clothing.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2012, 1:18 pm

I totally see the appeal of finding old/vintage clothes and other quality items at thrift stores but for me, it's almost the exact opposite of you guys; I have a seriously hard time putting on something that someone else has worn. Something about the idea that they might even be deceased or what nefarious deeds were committed in said clothing disturbs me to no end, ha. I know it's utterly senseless, though ;) and to be honest, I have PLENTY of clothes that are hand-me-downs, I guess I just have to adjust to each particular piece in time.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 2:04 pm

2wheels4ever wrote:
The tradeoff is the bright lights, the loud announcements on the PA, the yelling and running kids, the inattentive parents talking loudly and jamming the aisles, and the long lines at the checkout

The thrift store I went to wasn't like that at all but they closed earlier this year. I used to get jeans there and they were a maximum of $3-4 a pair. Once I got several pairs for $1 each.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 5:18 pm

Though I usually hit surplus stores (which are now becoming too expensive for my tastes), I have purchased clothing (just not boxers or briefs--those must be new and unopened) at second-hand stores. I also like to check out the discount stores and any retail outlet that has a major sale going on (I've bought new clothing from high-end stores for as little as $3.00).

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 5:22 pm

I prefer second hand clothes. I just put them in the washing machine before wearing them for the first time and than I'm good to go.

I am not into vintage because that just means paying a lot of money for hand me downs and I like to get my second hand stuff as cheaply as I possibly can.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 5:45 pm

I love buying vintage clothes, because they're from a time in history that I'm drawn to, unlike today. They also have to appear unisex or androgynous, except for a touch of lace that goes down the front of a comfortable shirt that's not fitted. I also like the fact that thrift store prices are cheaper as well. It's also the right thing for me, because I feel like myself. I don't feel like I'm forcing myself to live in the present by pretending to like what my typical peers like.

chtucker18
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Nov 2012, 6:25 pm

I usually look for sports jerseys, they have some really good ones sometimes, i'm a collector

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 9:46 pm

I failed to add that I've gotten clothes for nothing; checking behind laundromats or washeterias on the weekends can yield good zero-dollar finds. Also good pickings during times when rental properties are vacated. In college towns they call moving-out day "hippie Christmas" due to the sheer volume of discarded items on the curb. Alley scouting is a somewhat strong interest for me, though clothing is secondary to what I actively look for

evening
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Nov 2012, 10:21 pm

I agree : )

Its been a dual sensory- pleasure in hunting thing for me. I also loathe throw-away attitudes. Im hyper sensative so really notice the 'nice' feel of second hand fabric to the weird feel of new clothing/ its not simply that its been washed a lot; its also that the physical composition (processing, weave, mixed fabrics) feels very different.

finger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Nov 2012, 10:27 pm

Thrift stores are amazing but they're so far from my house. I wear my thrift clothes far more than my store bought clothes soo I don't know why I don't go more.