Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

How long do you think it will be until the first commercial BMI will be available?
<5 years 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5-10 years 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
10-20 years 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 10

LawlessFlogic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Dec 2012, 5:26 pm

...Is anyone else impatient when it comes to the subject of brain-machine interfaces(BMIs)? Recently, there have been several technological leaps, such as the prosthetic arm that kinda reads neural signals. I can't wait for neural interfaces to develop and become available for the general population. My idea for an "interface" would be to splice visual data into the optical nerves on the way to the brain, enabling us to see things that are not there. For example: A Heads Up Display, and other virtual reality-like systems. If you were to take a look at the anime called "Accel World" you can get a general idea of what BMIs can be like. Please share your thoughts, concerns, and opinions on this matter...

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 5:33 pm

I'd love to be able to replace a keyboard with a direct interface to the mind.

That is especially true for the small tablet computers we are seeing now. I don't understand how people can put up with using such small virtual keyboards as are found there.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 6:24 pm

there is the emotiv headset that can use specific patterns of activity to simulate keypresses.

it is on sale and cheaper than one would think, less than 500 dollars as far as i remember.

unfortunately the more complicated side of the headset requires specific program compatibility,
their own games are made so that your character quite literally shows the emotion you are feeling.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 9:27 am

eric76 wrote:
I'd love to be able to replace a keyboard with a direct interface to the mind.

That is especially true for the small tablet computers we are seeing now. I don't understand how people can put up with using such small virtual keyboards as are found there.

Use Green Dragon (tm) and dictate your input. That is a kind of "mind control".

ruveyn

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 Dec 2012, 11:43 am

LawlessFlogic wrote:
...Is anyone else impatient when it comes to the subject of brain-machine interfaces(BMIs)?
Not if Microsoft is involved, thanks.
I have enough trouble with mental BSOD's as it is without their baleful influence. :lol:

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 3:05 pm

Cornflake wrote:
LawlessFlogic wrote:
...Is anyone else impatient when it comes to the subject of brain-machine interfaces(BMIs)?
Not if Microsoft is involved, thanks.
I have enough trouble with mental BSOD's as it is without their baleful influence. :lol:

the thought alone is terrifying, worthy of a fear turkey.
apple wouldnt be much better, it would work but their DRM could become... let's say.... intrusive..
:lol:

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 Dec 2012, 3:34 pm

Ah yes, but it would look metallic, sleek and very sexy - right up until you get sued for thinking patented thoughts. :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 3:36 pm

That's all we need ... direct access to the human mind.

No thanks.

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

LawlessFlogic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Dec 2012, 4:28 pm

My idea for a BMI eliminates most of your concerns. The visual nerve does not send back much, if any, useful information. If the visual part of the interface is integrated into the visual nerve, the machine would not have access to any significant part of your brain/mind. At the worst, the machine could show you a swinging pocket watch and you could become hypnotized into telling "them" your credit card information, or something. :)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 Dec 2012, 5:02 pm

LawlessFlogic wrote:
(...) My idea for an "interface" would be to splice visual data into the optical nerves on the way to the brain, enabling us to see things that are not there.
Including blackness - or a BSOD, both rendering me blind.
Or worse, once (God forbid) the idea becomes established and the machines controlling the BMI become hacked - and they will, if Microsoft is involved. I'd rather my senses weren't incorporated into a botnet...
Still thanks, but no thanks. :lol:

LawlessFlogic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg