Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Claytomau5
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Dec 2012, 9:16 pm

Hello!

I was just wondering... See, I always wear three quarter sleeve shirts, as they are the best shirt to wear. They are the perfect length, not too long to where they touch my hands, but not too revealing to where I have no sense of security like short sleeves. I also wear them because they are the most comfortable shirts I have ever worn. I also wear my fluffy pajama pants underneath my jeans, on days that I wear jeans. Also because I like the material, it keeps me comfortable, and warm. I only do so in the winter though. I always have to have a jacket with me, even in 110 degree weather in Texas. No I am not a cowboy. A city boy that lives in the internet more perhaps. Anyways, I also am very very picky about my under wear and socks, and I have grown to dislike shoes that I normally used to like because I now find them uncomfortable. I seem to only wear clothes that I find useful, efficient, and comfortable as well.

I was diagnosed with Aspergers a year ago, though therapists and others had been suspecting for years.

Anyways, I was wondering, if you have AS, what possibly odd clothing habits do you have? :o

42. Dont ask questions.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 Dec 2012, 9:20 pm

I tend to have a kind of "uniform" I wear all the time. This changes at times. For the last seven years I've stuck to jeans and shirts. Before that it was skirts and blouses. Before that it was jeans and shirts.

Left to my own devices, I just tend to wear the same clothes over and over.

I also have this sweater...duster...thing that's cloth and fairly long. I wear it everywhere in all kinds of weather. I hate leaving the house without it, and I hate when it gets misplaced because the idea of not having it is frustrating. I've owned this garment for approximately ten years, and it's actually not in good shape, but I still wear it.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 10:21 pm

I like to wear skater sneakers even though I do not skate-the flat soles help me keep my balance-I am also picky about socks and underwear I like to use softener on those articles of clothing and like jeans and polo shirts and it took a long time but I found that I like to wear hooded sweatshirts.

The_Postmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Dec 2012, 11:05 pm

All clothing that I wear has to have either black/grey or white colors. I find that this color scheme tends to deter people who could potential want to make conversation quite effectively. I always wear gloves, because I hate shaking hands, and they make it much easier. They have to be fingerless, though, because my fingertips are sensitive. In terms of pants, I alternate between corduroy and dress pants- the material jeans are made out of is irritating. I generally wear either a plain white or black t-shirt under a grey trench coat. There's no sensory reason for that one, I just like trench coats.

kat333
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Dec 2012, 11:17 pm

I've always had an interesting relationship with clothing. When I was little I would only ever wear gumboots, even if I was wearing a pretty dress with them. I have never been able to wear wool, it irritates me to the point of it being painful and maddening. Same with some other fabrics like suede and microfibre type materials.

I get very uncomfortable in tight clothes and cannot wear anything constrictive. I basically have a uniform which is jeans, a top and a cardigan/jacket. I ALWAYS have to have a jacket with me, even in Summer.
I cannot stand wearing shoes and socks. I wear either sandals or thongs (i.e. flip flops for the non-Aussies) every day, even when it's cold.

I hate wearing a bra and take it off any chance I get. Basically I hate having to wear anything at all. I find clothing uncomfortable, restrictive and annoying.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 11:44 pm

I only wear loose clothing. Fleece around the house and jeans when I go out. Nothing constrictive, just a loose blouse and jacket with jeans and sneakers, that's all I ever wear. All clothing is uncomfortable but I wear it any way because it looks better.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 12:03 am

I mostly wear comfortable clothes in nice materials. Very eclectic. Whatever I find beautiful at the moment with little regard to what's in mainstream-fashion (though it is fun when that lines up as it's easier to get clothes). Never belonged to a particular subculture though most look more fun than mainstream and I borrow freely whatever I find interesting.
and kat333 I feel you on the shoes and bra issue! I absolutely despise shoes or socks, and am really happy I'm not in a country where it is the norm to where that indoors (well.. shoes, that is, being sockless is frowned upon).

LordExiron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Dec 2012, 11:36 am

My clothing is primarily affected by my OCD, as I feel compelled to keep my face clean-shaven, my hair perfectly combed, and my clothing smart. I always dress about a notch more formal than everyone else. For example at college where everyone else where's shorts, tennis shoes, and T-shirts, I wear at least jeans, but more often corduroys or chinos and a button-down long-sleeved shirt. If everyone else is wearing something along those llines, I will put on slacks, a sport coat abd a tie.

Now, long sleeves are somewhat of a sensory thing, because they make me feel snug in a big hug/weighted blanket kind of way. That is also why I like tight shoes, which works well with my formal thing, because there are lots of dress shoes with pointed toes. I don't point an eye towards fashion, because I figure if I wait long enough, whatever I wear will become fashionable eventually, and if I buy what's fashionable today, it won't be tomorrow anyway, so why bother?

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Dec 2012, 12:21 pm

I remember as a little kid, I'd cry when my Dad made me wear things I wasn't accustomed to, like overalls. Flippin' overalls, gah. My sensory issues with clothes have gotten better but despite having several pairs of jeans, I only wear one pair because it's the only one I'm comfortable with, I have about four shirts that I've rotated around and worn for at least three or four years now (almost hipster-vintage, hey! lol), I've had the same pair of shoes for three years that I always wear in my house and so on. As far as fabrics and fit, I can't stand clothes that are too soft like the fuzzy lining in some coats, coats with fleece anywhere...anything like that, and I can't stand jeans or underwear that exert even the slightest pressure on my stomach. I don't wear anything baggy but still, It'd drive my insane if my pants were even the least bit restrictive. No long sleeve shirts or hoddies that don't zip up because I feel choked off for some reason. Anyway, as you all know, it's a real pain!

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Dec 2012, 1:27 pm

Oh I have a lot of sensory issues no tight clothes ( am more comfortable if they stretch). can't wear clothes with rough textures give me a rash. Cant wear silk makes me feel icky. No wool or fur. They give me a runny nose. I only wear cotton most of the time.. Except when cold when I have no choice.

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Dec 2012, 2:03 pm

I'm extremely fussy about the comfort of my shoes, and I like loose-fitting clothing. I'm also self-conscious about my clothing, not so much that it's in style, but whether there are unsightly bulges, creases, or something tends to ride up, things like that. I try to only wear clothing that won't fail somehow and embarrass me.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Dec 2012, 2:14 pm

I can't wear wool unless I have something underneath it, and I think tagless clothing is one of the best inventions, as I have to cut tags out of all my clothing.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 2:42 pm

I am incredibly fussy about what I wear. I only wear loose fitting jeans, with a blue or black t-shirt (and sweatshirt or hockey jersey in winter) and sneakers. Needless to say, this is part of what caused me to be violently beaten up in school: heaven forbid I not wear the super tight jeans with itchy denim shirts that made my skin crawl. I also specifically remember in elementary school I was the only kid in the entire school who refused to wear pajamas to school.

Even though I've been told hundreds of times I look like a "10" when dressed up, I simply can't stand the sensation of formal clothes or a tie.

Edminzodo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Dec 2012, 2:49 pm

I always wear jeans, a T-shirt and a shirt. I have a pair of chinos and yellow socks that I am incredibly attached too, and would wear every day if I were allowed.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 3:59 pm

Yep, a few clothing related quibbles for me:

-I cut the tags out of all of my clothes as I find them irritating
-cannot wear socks that are longer than ankle length. they itch my calves.
-certain fabric types I cannot wear. denim in particular. Usually only wear cotton based clothing.
-cannot wear shoes that fit too tightly around the top of my foot closer to where it connects with the leg. Running shoes in particular seem to have this problem. I prefer the basic Puma sneakers. Fabric top and simple flat sole. Any sort of arch support drives me crazy.
-I almost exclusively wear sandals outside when the weather permits

Clothing related but in an entirely different category: I have to wear long sleeves at all times to cover the self-harm scars on my forearms.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 4:06 pm

I seem to buy a few new clothes now and then, but, because they are new, I keep them for best.
Now as "best" never comes, I just carry on wearing the same old clothes Ive had for years.
My sister especially has a dig at my "Green Jumper" because when ever I visit her in Sweden, I have my jumper that I wear most every day except when the weather is warm.

I bought this jumper for £5 at a market in 1990, so Iam getting my monies worth.

Anyway, I bought a new hoodie on the net that Iam waiting to be delivered:- NAMBOS NEW HOODIE LINK