Page 1 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Do You Have Synesthesia?
Yes, I have some type of synesthesia; colour, letters, sound, taste, touch. 58%  58%  [ 52 ]
No 42%  42%  [ 37 ]
Total votes : 89

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 4:56 am

I'm curious to see the prevalence of synesthesia within the autistic population to compare it to the NT population and see if it's more or less prevalent or mostly the same. I have grapheme-colour synesthesia, meaning that I see letters, numbers and words in distinct individual colours. Does anyone else have this, or some other type of synesthesia?

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

14 Jan 2013, 5:03 am

I see music as colors, and many other sounds. Human voices tend to have textures to me (textures like razor blades, balloons, oak wood, stone, water, among other things. Sometimes two or more). I also have color -> taste. Many of the tastes are hard to describe precisely, so I end up saying things like "kind of minty" or "kind of citrusy." The blue here is kind of a mild minty flavor and the green is kind of citrusish.

Words are kind of odd - I am not sure this is synesthesia, but they tend to have colors and flavors associated with them. That I get two things from words makes me question whether it's that pr. how I visualize the words (I think in images).

One thing that I do not like is that it seems less intense than when I was younger. Then again, having words or colors cause actual nausea is something that hasn't happened in a long time and I do not miss that.

J87
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2013, 5:18 am

I see certain numbers, days of the week and music notes in colours and organise my CD collection by the colour I associate with an artist. Sometimes it is annoying. I dislike the colour yellow which is associated with the number 11 and I can't remember things that happened in 2011. 2013 is really green so I will remember a lot.

megahertz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Jan 2013, 5:51 am

I have *-to-colour/shape/texture synesthesia on as good as everything. I love it, because it makes the world beautiful. Even the noise of a train looks interesting when I close my eyes. Of course, it also helps me to understand remember things quickly.
Sometimes I think synesthesia is my brain answer to being highly sensitive. Instead of getting sensory overloads all the time, it uses some free visualizing capacity to process all that information from the outside world. 8) Too much sound coming in through ears, audio system used to capacity ... no problem, moving queued data to visual system! Too much abstract stuff to learn at university ... no problem, switching to visual mnemo automatics!

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 8:00 am

I have ticker-tape. I "see" any word that is spoken to me,usually running by as if I'm reading a book. Different words can appear with different background colors depending on speaker, context, time, etc. Nothing I can control.

I also have motion>sound. Whatever moves makes an inherent noise to me. A blinking light is automatically beeping; watching a group of people walk can almost trigger a sensory overload because of the varying frequencies of their legs' movement.

Lastly, I have the reverse of motion>sound. Music has spatial qualities - one note is over here in space, one is over there. That drum layer in a song can roll along the bottom, while the string layer can travel up from left to right. I can't really explain it. I don't see it. It just is. It helps me play music by ear as the notes all just fall into place on the instrument.

Yeah, it's kind of weird like that. My brain is bizarre.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 8:01 am

Verdandi wrote:
I see music as colors, and many other sounds. Human voices tend to have textures to me (textures like razor blades, balloons, oak wood, stone, water, among other things. Sometimes two or more). I also have color -> taste. Many of the tastes are hard to describe precisely, so I end up saying things like "kind of minty" or "kind of citrusy." The blue here is kind of a mild minty flavor and the green is kind of citrusish.

Words are kind of odd - I am not sure this is synesthesia, but they tend to have colors and flavors associated with them. That I get two things from words makes me question whether it's that pr. how I visualize the words (I think in images).

One thing that I do not like is that it seems less intense than when I was younger. Then again, having words or colors cause actual nausea is something that hasn't happened in a long time and I do not miss that.

I really would like to know what my voice sounds like to you.
Just sayin'.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 8:47 am

I'm pretty sure that I have some form of spatial-sequence synesthesia. I see days of the week, months of the year, and years in a century/decade in a specific sequence. I also see lists of special interest facts in a specific sequence. I also have a very strong association with colors and days of the week. And finally, like EstherJ, I have "ticker-tape" synesthesia, where I see every word I speak or hear spoken "written" in front of my eyes like a teleprompter. This happens with Spanish, too, ever since I became fluent.

Nash: Is there a difference?

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 12:57 pm

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that I have some form of spatial-sequence synesthesia. I see days of the week, months of the year, and years in a century/decade in a specific sequence. I also see lists of special interest facts in a specific sequence. I also have a very strong association with colors and days of the week. And finally, like EstherJ, I have "ticker-tape" synesthesia, where I see every word I speak or hear spoken "written" in front of my eyes like a teleprompter. This happens with Spanish, too, ever since I became fluent.

I'm excited because it happens with Spanish with me, but now I'm getting to the point in Hebrew where I'm beginning to see words in Hebrew with Hebrew letters going the right direction for Hebrew! This is a big deal. :D :D :D

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 2:14 pm

EstherJ wrote:
I'm excited because it happens with Spanish with me, but now I'm getting to the point in Hebrew where I'm beginning to see words in Hebrew with Hebrew letters going the right direction for Hebrew! This is a big deal. :D :D :D

Awesome! :D I find it so bizarre, yet fascinating, that you and I develop this for foreign languages. I guess the brain pathways really do react the same way, even to the point of the "ticker tape" phenomenon. This is why I have difficulty understanding a lot of spoken Spanish- if the words go too fast for me to parse apart and "see", I just get lost. :lol:

Nash: Is there a difference?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 2:15 pm

Nope

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 2:19 pm

I do.
I have mostly sound synesthesia, colour synesthesia and touch synesthesia, but sometimes I even experience it with letters, tastes and smells.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 4:04 pm

No, I don't have it.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 4:17 pm

That's cool you guys, I think having sound synesthesia would be really neat, seeing colours with sounds. The ticker-tape sounds interesting too, but I think I'd get distracted by all the words floating past! I only see individual words, they usually hang in the air and they all have their own colour, even French words. Often a word takes on the colour of the first letter, for example the word 'apple' is green because the A is green, but sometimes a word takes on a random colour that has nothing to do with the beginning letter, for instance, Tuesday and Thursday are both orange, even though T is white, and the only orange letter in my alphabet is O, which isn't present in either word. I find it hard to grasp that some people only ever see words in black, that's very odd to me. Most of the time I don't pay attention to the colours, but when I get too many words letters or numbers crowded in my head at once, the vibrance of the competing colours can give me sort of an internal overwhelmed headache, it's kind of hard to describe.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

knifegill
Raven
Raven

14 Jan 2013, 7:22 pm

Quote:
I see certain numbers, days of the week and music notes in colours and organise my CD collection by the colour I associate with an artist. Sometimes it is annoying. I dislike the colour yellow which is associated with the number 11 and I can't remember things that happened in 2011. 2013 is really green so I will remember a lot.

But why would you and I BOTH see these numbers as the same colors? 13 (and thus 3), 5 and 8 are all (usually, depending on context) blue/green to me. 7 is usually red. Is your 7 red?

My eyes don't see things, they feel them. I almost taste things I see, it's very useful while driving! I never miss ice on the road because I can taste it coming.

But it's inconsistent and it changes. Certain sounds remind of certain smells, but not always the same ones. The smell of artificial berry flavor reminds me of the sensation scraping fingernails on ridged vinyl, like on book-covers.

I also dream about and sometimes imagine sensations in-between real sensations that cannot be experienced in real life.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

14 Jan 2013, 8:08 pm

EstherJ wrote:
I really would like to know what my voice sounds like to you.
Just sayin'.

You are the second person to say this to me.

The first was my nephew.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 8:13 pm

Nope.