Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Trombonesalone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2013, 9:41 pm

I was just curious to see if anyone around my age liked jazz music, either playing or listening. Please message if you do! Also, specifically what type of jazz?

charlottez
Raven
Raven

20 Jan 2013, 10:07 pm

I like jazz. Still learning about what I like and don't like, but I know I like Mingus and Ellington a lot. Not sure what your age is, but I'm in my 40s.

Oh, and some Miles Davis.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 10:19 pm

I like most jazz that I've heard, especially Dixieland Jazz.

If you get a chance, check out http://www.radiofreeneworleans.com/.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 10:51 pm

I love me some
Yellowjackets
David Benoit
Al DiMeola
Ella Fitzgerald
Art Tatum
Tom Scott
Steps Ahead
Keith Jarrett

Does Joni Mitchell and Steely Dan count?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 12:46 am

i like most of the older stuff, from the 50s back to the 20s. dixieland/ragtime/2-beat and the like. swing, boogiewoogie/shuffle, some bebop and western cool jazz also are nice. but starting in the 60s the pickings for me get a lot slimmer, confined to people like vince guaraldi and rob mcconnell. today's jazz seems too angular and lacking in "swing" to appeal to me.

Trombonesalone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2013, 12:53 am

Thanks for that link, Eric! I've never heard of that; that's really cool!

I like a lot of jazz including, but not limited to: Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond, Gerry Mulligan, John Coltrane, Clifford Brown, Lee Morgan, Art Blakey, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Lester Young, Dizzy Gillespie, J. J. Johnson, Carl Fontana, Frank Rosolino, and many others. Some modern players: Wynton Marsalis, Wycliffe Gordon, John Allred, Delfeayo Marsalis, Steve Turre, Branford Marsalis, The JLCO, etc. I also love trad jazz! Preservation Hall, Satchmo (of course), Sidney Bechet, Kid Ory, King Oliver, Jack Teagarden, so much more! My main musical inspiration is Dave Brubeck; I love every thing about his music. He was a genius.

I'd like to ask as a general question for everyone: what was your favorite live jazz concert?

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 1:26 am

I'm about to be 22 and do like jazz. I'm not particularly well versed in it, though. For me my favorite type is actually jazz fusion. My weird niche is actually Japanese jazz fusion. One particular Japanese jazz fusion artist I like a lot is Toshiki Kadomatsu. He's written some o the funkiest songs I've ever heard, but also has more relaxing albums like Sea is a Lady. One Western fusion artist I enjoy is Shakatak. Their most famous song is probably "Night Birds." George Benson is very good, too. I also have Herbie Hancock's Magic Windows album on vinyl. But I'd have to confidently say fusion is the jazz genre I enjoy most, and the Japanese are exceptonal at making jazz in general. Also, one interesting thing about Japan is jazz fusion is apparently on the radio there, which is neat. But for me, I definitely most of the time like a "funky" component to my music.

I might be getting more into smooth jazz, too, my friend complained that his dad was mad as less smooth jazz is being produced nowadays, so I figured "I bet Japanese people make great smooth jazz he's not heard before." So I downloaded him two Kaori Kobayashi albums. Her version of "Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You" is great.

Before finding the jazz fusion, my jazz pretty much consisted of "Yeah I think the music from Cowboy Bebop is cool." After seeing CBB in elementary school or whatever, I wanted to get more into jazz, but finding music was a lot harder back then with no youtube, wikipedia, etc. But, I found some cool jazz in my quest of "Man I wish other music as cool as Cowboy Bebop music was around."

For "regular" jazz I have Herbie Hancock's Speak Like a Child album because it was the title of a Cowboy Bebop episode. My favorite regular jazz album I've heard thus far is Kenny Burrell's Ode to 52nd Street. Very good album, and would be happy if someone can recommend me something similar.

But those are my weird uncultured jazz tastes.

Trombonesalone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2013, 1:53 am

That's really interesting, you seem pretty down with it! To be honest though, I'm not that familiar with jazz fusion. I'm always open to getting in to new genres though! Which artist/album would you recommend to a novice?

g2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jan 2013, 12:26 pm

I play jazz, that's why I picked up trombone! Nice to see a fellow trombonist here!

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 7:55 pm

Probably Shakatak's "Drivin' Hard" or "Night Birds" album. I was gonna get you a bunch of links, as I'm on my mobile. I mostly have Japanese jazz fusion, so I have Toshiki Kadomatsu, any of his stuff is good for a funky sound. There's also like crossover jazz/R&B singers like the group Sade or George Benson, or Herbie Hancock during the 70s/80s. Sometimes the lines get blurry a bit. Kadomatsu's new stuff sounds significantly more jazzy compared to his 80s stuff which was definitely for the most part more of a funk/R&B sound. Another good Japanese artist you may like (I think all of his stuff is in English) is Masayoshi Takanaka. Lastly, you know David Weckl is really popular in Japan?

Trombonesalone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2013, 2:05 am

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions! I will check out all those names. And I didn't know that, that's interesting! I know in general that jazz has become extremely popular in Japan. I'm sure it's not new, but I recently discovered that connection on online forums.

Phenom
Raven
Raven

27 Jan 2013, 9:25 am

BIG TIME. I enjoy playing as well as listening to it. Gotta' love that ride! tss-tss- tss,tss -tss- tss,tss -tss-tss-tss (and repeat) :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 9:47 am

on the subject of riding cymbals, bill cosby [an amateur jazz scholar himself] terms much jazz music as "boom-titty-boom" music.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 9:52 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVe0x8jIfdQ[/youtube]

My favorite Toshiki song. Lots of pictures of hot scantily clad Japanese women, so mods maybe won't like. Pretty much his most funky song.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsHYVAzRslU[/youtube]
"Midsummer Drivin'" is totally great.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIBl2LaWQLE[/youtube]
Shakatak's "Night Birds"

Numbuh4
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2013, 8:44 pm

I like playing jazz. I usually play piano, but my dad said I could play saxophone. :D
I don't like listening to it, though. I like songs that I can sing along with.

joannaaleksandra
Toucan
Toucan

23 Feb 2013, 3:28 pm

I like to listen to jazz, and I wish I could play it.