Playful and Child-like normal for Aspies?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Punnyguy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jan 2013, 11:21 am

I can be as cutesy and hyperactive as a child on silly pills (minus the loud voice),is anyone else like this?

To compare, I can be like Dino from The Flintstones, giving hugs and cuddles are always a priority, having plush toys and making cartoony snore sounds. Personally, I love this aspect :)

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 12:12 pm

i have some of the "man with the child in his eyes" thing going off too

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 12:38 pm

I personally think I act somewhat childish myself, though in a good way ;P

Author/Writer

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 12:39 pm

I can be, but I'm also sometimes depressed and slow so I can't say if I'm dominantly the way you described.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 12:44 pm

Heck yes! Though, like another person mentioned, sometimes I fall to the other end of the scale and I'm depressed and sluggish... When happy I burst with energy like Dino (great example!) but sad and slow like Eeyore.

Like.... too much emotion? I've sometimes wondered if that makes me "manic depressive"?

:shrug:

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 1:03 pm

Yes, I consider it one of the positive things about Asperger's. People always say I look younger than I actually am, which is nice for a variety of reasons. I'm also a bit immature, but not in a bad way.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 1:53 pm

I'm very playful and I laugh and smile a lot.
People think I take nothing seriously.
I also joke a lot, it's just that people can't understand my jokes most of the times.

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 2:08 pm

I am totally playful and child-like. I think it is one of the things that make my friends like me. I don't think it is a bad thing either. It makes me happy and I think a lot of adults need to get some of their child-like enthusiasm back. A lot of people are too serious because they are afraid of looking immature and they end up miserable because of it.

ShelbyGt500
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jan 2013, 12:21 am

One of our characteristics is that in some ways everything we do it seems like were doing it for the first time. That's part of what makes us problem solvers and people who like to optimize everything. Every time I make a cup of coffee, it's a feel-good experience and I'm trying to think of away to do it better or differently. That is the typical childlike learning mode that we stand for life. I'm 57 years old, but my general attitude and excitement about things is more along the lines of a 27-year-old graduate student or young professional. I get excited when I see an aquarium full of fish and I wonder how everything works. In my age group, most people have thrown out the intellectual anchor and are in a holding pattern until the day they die. I will tell you this, as you get older you will become more of an outcast among your peers. Not only do I have my core autistic characteristics, but I'm actually too young mentally for most people my age. Mind you, I've got a bachelors degree and a master's greedy, plus I've had a fully successful career. That said, I wouldn't give up my characteristics for anything. Due to the autism, I look decades younger than I am, I feel very young, and there's nothing wrong with socializing better with people in their 20s as opposed to people in their 50s. For me, as a software engineer, that's a good thing.

Pabalebo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2013, 12:25 am

Hahahah! YES. My friends tell me every day that dealing with me is like dealing with a 10-year-old kid, and most of my friends act like 10-year-olds themselves most of the time.

notinabox43

28 Jan 2013, 12:31 am

Definitely considered younger and more naive than my peers. Also told I look younger.
I think it has to do with seeing things with fresh eyes, and also being less aware of how the world works. Its like seeing it for the first time, like a child.
I'm a fairly serious person, but have a quirky silly sense of humour that not everyone gets! But when something tickles me I find it hard to stop laughing. My family just say "There she goes again!" and they sit and watch me laugh like I'm the entertainment. Sometimes they start laughing at me laughing, not at the joke! :lol:

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 10:48 pm

Children love me and its probably because I never talk down to them and always engage them at their level. I also can act very child like when im out and about but always in a positive way. Most people think its cute how children run up to me all the time and tell me their life story but of course I've recently been told what I always suspected: some parents don't want that "weird" guy near their children in spite of the fact kids ALWAYS initiate contact with me and I have cleared all the background checks for my workplace. Oh well I guess if you love and respect children and treat them with respect you must be a pedophile or other weirdo :roll:

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 10:53 pm

I'd say yes. My son is quite immature in comparison to his peers. Then again, so am I, at times. I don't feel/look my age at all.

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 6:54 pm

I have not changed since i was 7, I dont
see why I shood, but I also found out
I cood not if I wanted to, I tride and
flopped.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 11:02 pm

I take everything far too seriously, and I'm generally not playful at all. I have my moments, but for the majority of the time, I'm very sombre. This can be both positive and negative.

Moronerd

12 Feb 2013, 12:50 pm

When I was younger, people online often told me I act/talk like a forty year old, while people in real life seemed to get an impression from the way I 'held myself' as being childish or immature. As I catch up to forty in years, People often say I look younger (but I still feel I'm by no means attractive, and nobody gives me that impression from what they say). I think it's because I tend to have a blank affect and don't tend to use facial expressions, hence less wrinkles (though I'm developing a few now, I must admit).