Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ClovisIII
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Feb 2013, 9:49 am

I'm wondering is it normal to not really like babies. I see people go up to infants and they coo, use infantile language, and they say babies are beautiful and wonderful. I don't really like babies nor do I coo and use infantile language. To me newborn babies appear bald headed and they are annoying when they cry. Is it normal for some aspies to not like newborn babies?

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 9:55 am

I feel the same way. I really don't like being around babies. Their crying makes my head feel like it's gonna explode. I usually have no interest in them when I'm around them.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 10:06 am

I don't mind babies to much, but I don't feel like I should talk gibberish to them just because they're a new born. I would rather use normal language to challenge their brain even if they don't understand me.

If anything other adults around a baby talking gibbersish to it are more annoying.

Baby crying used to get to me, but internally I just think I'm not gonna the noise bother me. Or I amuse myself imagining what the baby is thinking. "WTF where am I? What is this s**t? I think I'm gonna puke."

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 10:10 am

i'm female and dont like babies! a colleague at work brought her three months old, and all the women ran after him, cooing and making faces, and i just stayed by my computer, because i found the baby boring and irritating.
i love my nieces very much, but cant imagine being their mom, ever, only their aunt. i dont have the patience.
i like animals much better.

Lilithlee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2013, 10:15 am

I like babies their easy to understand, however, baby's crying is suppose to annoy people it's hardwired into are nervous systems that way we want to put the baby up to get it to stop crying.

scarp
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Feb 2013, 11:56 am

I like babies and small children in controllable doses. Most people's babies are ugly or weird looking, but I am overcome with a potent case of the "d'awwwws" when I see a really cute infant or toddler! My three year old little sister, for example, is absolutely precious, and I enjoy her presence when she's not being a brat. She has this most adorable heart melting voice and smile! :)

So it really just depends. In most cases, no. But if the baby is particularly cute, or fascinates me in some way (e.g., shows signs of high intelligence), then yes.

paris75007
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2013, 1:17 pm

I love babies...their crying is a lot less annoying than, say, a whining seven year old. At least when a baby cries, you can do something about it fairly easily (at least with my son, who pretty much only cried when he was hungry). I miss my son's infant stage...it didn't get hard until he was about three.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 4:31 pm

I'm also a baby lover.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 4:38 pm

Considering how many people I see saying they dislike babies, find them disgusting, find them boring, think they are just lumps, think it should be okay to perform surgery on them without anesthesia, think infanticide is okay, etc. I really have the feeling that must be the actual norm and I am the abnormal one because I empathize with babies.

Really, I'm not talking about this forum. The most common confession on the internet in general is "I hate babies", I swear.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 5:59 pm

I'm the opposite, I love babies and I find them so cute. They are fun to hold and fun to watch when they are doing something. But I don't have a long attention span for them but I did for my son and for my nephew when he was first born. My son got so jealous when I was holding his new cousin and looking at him and sniffing him and rubbing him. So I had to hold him in my arms too and he calmed down.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

TinyDancer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Feb 2013, 12:27 am

I like....CLEAN babies. It's okay if their hands are a little sticky because that's hard to avoid, but I've seen babies with their moms at the store and out in public and am just repulsed when a baby has been left with food all over its face or soiled clothing or dripping and dried snot.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 12:48 am

Not into babies, crying and whaleing sends me into sensory overload along with the smells of dipers, I always thought they looked ugly and out of perportion too and I fail to see any personallity or anything in a baby. To me its just a baby, nothing more. Young children, in preticular well beheaved intelligent ones now thats a different story.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 8:03 am

I actually have no opinion at all about infants.

hockeytaz
Raven
Raven

18 Feb 2013, 4:21 am

Not a fan at all of babies. Would rather not be around them if at all possible. I don't find baby showers remotely exciting at all and would rather gouge my eyes out with a spoon. Children are OK in small doses and they have to be certain ones. Well behaved children that are semi-quiet are decent, the rest are annoying.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 5:40 am

I can relate to the OP.

I strongly dislike babies and children. Particularly noisy/restless ones. I sometimes move to a different carriage when I have annoying babies/children around. Having said that, there is maybe 1 in 100 babies that is nice, quiet and cute.

Adults' baby talk makes me very uncomfortable.

I don't think it is an "aspie thing" to dislike babies. In anonymous places like this, many people admit to disliking babies. My parents who don't have AS sometimes tell me their stories of annoying babies that they saw in a restaurant etc.

Ivasha

18 Feb 2013, 5:54 am

I dislike 'babies' in general, but I'm rather fond of mine (who is actually a toddler now) :D

I don't get people that find 'anything babyish' cute, nor do I understand 'ooh just any cat! how wonderful' - even though I have 3 cats that I really like as company. I guess I'm just picky :)