Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 7:52 pm

How do you get stronger by cycling?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 11:54 pm

until my accident last summer, i'd climb long steep inclines for about an hour or two. that made me pretty strong.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 2:01 pm

If strength is what you want then do Intervals.

cycle as hard as you can for 10-15 seconds then cycle slow to completely recover and repeat. It'll kick your ass but you'll notice improvements.

Cycling long distances will help somewhat but it can also cause you to burn muscle and will not be as good a use of time.

long distance riders are strong but not as strong as you'd think, They emphasise overall fitness and aerobic fitness. Sprinting is more all out power over a short duration, as such their legs are huge.

Something i see as pretty important to cycling is an efficient pedal motion that involves as many muscle groups as possible.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 12:55 am

climbing hills is a good way to get your intervals in.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 5:15 pm

No matter what your chosen workout, you're not going to gain muscle and strength without feeding your body the nutrients required to build muscle.

Eat protein asap after any workout. Yes, you need carbs and other nutrition, too, but protein is essential to make the most of your workout effotts and build some muscle mass. You can only digest up to 25g every 2-3hours, so eating any more than that and it just goes to waste. (Excreted.)

Since I cut out most dairy and soy, I switched to hemp protein powder and I find I digest it better and am getting stronger for it. I still eat meat/fish and some nuts etc, too.