anyone here with an average or even a sub avg. vocabulary?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2013, 7:57 pm

Just wondering... cause I say I have a basic vocabulary and no where near the large vocabulary that most aspies have. But then again, I'm not an aspie so.....

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 8:41 pm

Although I'm good with numbers and other logical things, language is not my strength. My vocabularies in English and in my first language, I believe, are both below average. I often feel unable to express myself because of that.

Boogoose
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Feb 2013, 9:51 pm

My vocabulary is quite low, thankfully I'm in country Australia so I can just throw in a few swear words and a mate or two and nobody knows the difference. I had a hard time writing essays and stuff at school because I would just write what I wanted to say and still be 2000 word off the minimum.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 10:12 pm

probably sub-average

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

26 Feb 2013, 11:03 pm

jk1 wrote:
Although I'm good with numbers and other logical things, language is not my strength. My vocabularies in English and in my first language, I believe, are both below average. I often feel unable to express myself because of that.

I'm the exact opposite of this. I'm good with literacy and writing when I can completely think straight, but I can't do math to same my life. :lol: :hmph:

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 12:13 am

I have always had a good vocabulary however I spend alot of time at shops and race tracks and with lower educated people like that so I think I tend to come off sounding like Larry the cable guy if he was a top university graduate when I talk, lots of big words coupled by some questionable grammer, no swearing though, no figureitive languge either. I need to get out of the habit of using words like "ain't" and lately I think I have as I spend more time alone. No one can understand what I say often without explaining, my creative writing skills are poor though along with my math skills.

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

27 Feb 2013, 12:27 am

Boogoose wrote:
My vocabulary is quite low, thankfully I'm in country Australia so I can just throw in a few swear words and a mate or two and nobody knows the difference. I had a hard time writing essays and stuff at school because I would just write what I wanted to say and still be 2000 word off the minimum.
For me it's that I don't know many big words so my words tend to be basic.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 1:49 am

no less an intellect than einstein, said that it wasn't really necessary to have a large working vocabulary so long as one had themselves a good dictionary at the ready.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 6:35 am

hey_there wrote:

Maybe that's why I tend to enjoy reading your posts. They are always to the point and easy to understand.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 9:21 am

rapidroy wrote:
I have always had a good vocabulary however I spend alot of time at shops and race tracks and with lower educated people like that so I think I tend to come off sounding like Larry the cable guy if he was a top university graduate when I talk, .

I used to read the dictionary for fun as a kid, and memorize opera arias and poems, so I have an enormous vocabulary. But as you said, I sound like Larry the Cable Guy with a college degree (I have a college degree). I'm Southern and poor and I've picked up the idioms and syntax of those arround me, although I don't have a strong accent. I'm hopeless at math too.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 9:33 am

I recognise a lot of words but I tend to not use them.

GnothiSeauton
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2013, 9:34 am

All the "big words" are an intellectual shortcut for the more educated.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 10:32 am

GnothiSeauton wrote:

Yeah, the art of sounding smart without nessisarily being smart....not to mention it sure helps take up space for those 5 page or longer college essays without being obvious :twisted:

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

27 Feb 2013, 3:54 pm

jk1 wrote:
hey_there wrote:

Maybe that's why I tend to enjoy reading your posts. They are always to the point and easy to understand.
Yup. I'm not an aspie, but many aspies here have a large vocabulary and I don't know the meaning of like 90% of the words used on here. But who cares, even if expressed with a basic vocabulary, as long as what your saying makes sense, that's all that matters right? :)

Growlithe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Feb 2013, 3:56 pm

i got a average vocabulary wutever that means.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 5:59 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
GnothiSeauton wrote:

Yeah, the art of sounding smart without nessisarily being smart....not to mention it sure helps take up space for those 5 page or longer college essays without being obvious :twisted:

Sometimes the big words can more accurately express what you're trying to say.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I