Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2013, 1:25 am

I suffer quite a lot with anxiety (to the extent that I am 'frozen' with it, and have been unable to get out of bed).
A GP recently added 'generalised anxiety disorder' to my notes.
Does anyone else struggle with this?

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2013, 5:46 pm

social anxiety all the way... I feel for you... for the longest time, I could not even talk to a stranger on the phone...

My sister (also an aspie) has posited that, since we don't have the NT fear of pain response, that our healthy levels of anxiety are redirected elsewhere.

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

06 Mar 2013, 1:11 am

Ever since I got put on anti-depressants, my panic attacks have slimmed way down but every once in a while I get this sudden terror while I'm trying to go to sleep. The terror goes away after a few seconds but I have no idea why I get it since I am on medication for the anxiety.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 4:59 pm

Today I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder and it is something I have always had to some degree in my opinion and it is worse now due to circumstances beyond my control. Also I have been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder and it is something I have in specific situations such as presenting to an audience, being new at work or school, and/or meeting a group of people I have never met before. I can relax usually with exercise and watching a favorite TV show, but when something really bad is happening in my life it is difficult.

caissa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Mar 2013, 5:39 pm

I have severe anxiety about pretty much everything, especially social situations.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 11:33 pm

According to professionals I meet the criteria for anxiety disorders such as Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder and probably OCD (they're still working on setting the official diagnoses). So yes, I do suffer from GAD and I've done so since I was about 12. I'm always anxious but sometimes it's really bad. I then go to bed and can't get out of there for a while. I just lie there all anxious and can't focus on anything but the anxiety. I get all restless, touch my face a lot, feel like a prisoner in my own mind, get that very uncomfortable feeling in my chest/pit of my stomach etc. At those times I often hit/throw pillows or hit my own head. I also get very withdrawn and introverted (more than usual that is) when feeling like that.

Is that similar to how you're feeling?

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 3:38 am

rebbieh wrote:
According to professionals I meet the criteria for anxiety disorders such as Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder and probably OCD (they're still working on setting the official diagnoses). So yes, I do suffer from GAD and I've done so since I was about 12. I'm always anxious but sometimes it's really bad. I then go to bed and can't get out of there for a while. I just lie there all anxious and can't focus on anything but the anxiety. I get all restless, touch my face a lot, feel like a prisoner in my own mind, get that very uncomfortable feeling in my chest/pit of my stomach etc. At those times I often hit/throw pillows or hit my own head. I also get very withdrawn and introverted (more than usual that is) when feeling like that.

Is that similar to how you're feeling?
Yup, that does sound like it. I usually try to sleep through as much of it as I can.

Rattus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Mar 2013, 2:12 pm

Alycat! It's magic_carpet...I hope you're the person I think you are (the coinicidence would be uncanny if you aren't and highly embarassing for me). Yes, anxiety is awful. I am on pregabalin which I am trying to see if it helps, might be worth a try.
x

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 3:16 pm

Rattus wrote:
Alycat! It's magic_carpet...I hope you're the person I think you are (the coinicidence would be uncanny if you aren't and highly embarassing for me). Yes, anxiety is awful. I am on pregabalin which I am trying to see if it helps, might be worth a try.
x
Yup, I am the person you're thinking about (I'm Alycat on both sites as I'm too unimaginative to come up with to names). I'm on Citalopram, and they've bumped me up to maximum dose. I'm hoping it works.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Mar 2013, 4:48 pm

I had lots of various anxiety problems thought my life. I had a psychotic depression when I was 20 because my OCD kept dwelling on my ex girlfriend & our recent breakup. I kept having panic attacks when I stared thinking about various things that could be going on that probably weren't & after a while I wasn't sure what was really going on & what was just in my mind & I kind of snapped. I was on various psych meds the next 5 years & I was alot better after I quit them but I kept worrying in the back of my mind that my anxiety could cause me to flip out & break down again. I got in my 2nd relationship a couple years ago & kept worrying I would screw it up because of I was acting really clingy & needy due to my anxiety. I had a bad panic attack after a misunderstanding & after that I realized I needed to do something about my anxiety. I researched various anxiety medication online &. I decided to try Buspar because it's specially for generalized anxiety instead of being used for various other things as well. My anxiety got alot better & I quit having panic attacks. I still had problems with OCD thou during the relationship & after it ended. Buspar kept me form panicking & stressing too much usually but I was still obsessing & dwelling on things because of my OCD. I researched treatment for that & I'm taking Neurontin/Gabapentin) for it. The Buspar & Neurontin combo is helping my anxiety, panic, OCD & other anxiety stuff alot. I'm taking 15mg of Buspar 2x a day & 400mg of Neurontin 3x a day.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 8:57 pm

I take Buspar 15mg 3x.

shyengineer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Mar 2013, 3:55 am

I'm the same. I've been diagnosed agoraphobic and then recently generalised anxiety disorder. Also severe depression and avoidant personality. I've had problems with this since I was about 10 and it's only gotten worse. If I'm in my safe area then I'm fine but I have trouble leaving it - I too feel frozen and incapable of doing some things. I'm taking escitalopram which is helping.

LaPelirroja
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2013, 5:18 am

I never really have panic attacks- rapid heartbeat, sweating palms, that sort of thing. What I feel is really more of a constant low-level anxiety all throughout the day (though it can get to be quiet high, depending on the situation). I don't often feel like I can totally relax myself, or live in the moment, as so many NTs seem to be able to. I also have a high level of irritability, more towards things than towards people. I'm on Risperidone (which helps TONS), Setraline/Zoloft (which helps a little, but not as much as I'd like it to), and Valium as a PRN (which is a friggin' LIFESAVER, and if you suffer from anxiety I would highly recommend keeping it on hand for emergencies).

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Apr 2013, 11:19 am

LaPelirroja wrote:
I never really have panic attacks- rapid heartbeat, sweating palms, that sort of thing. What I feel is really more of a constant low-level anxiety all throughout the day (though it can get to be quiet high, depending on the situation). I don't often feel like I can totally relax myself, or live in the moment, as so many NTs seem to be able to. I also have a high level of irritability, more towards things than towards people. I'm on Risperidone (which helps TONS), Setraline/Zoloft (which helps a little, but not as much as I'd like it to), and Valium as a PRN (which is a friggin' LIFESAVER, and if you suffer from anxiety I would highly recommend keeping it on hand for emergencies).
I've heard Risperidone can somwtimes cause/increase anxiety but it does help some people.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2013, 8:37 pm

I have anxiety, and I've been having panic attacks since I was six years old. I'm on Paxil CR.

I don't have panic attacks very often. I had them a lot when I was a kid, though. But this past week, I've had two. Both were caused by my computer doing something unexpected, like restarting by itself or freezing. I know it's a silly thing to be afraid of, but every time it does something like that, my heart races and I feel faint and nauseated.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2013, 9:37 pm

I have GAD as well as OCD. Meds have not been effective for me, and antidepressants actually make it worse. I do take a very small dose of klonopin before bed to help me fall asleep. I have ADHD as well, so there's some symptom overlap, such as racing thoughts, etc.