Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

helles
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2013, 7:47 am

Just a happy story.

Since the twins started in kindergarten I have noticed that one of them seems to have problems with all the noises. Before kindergarten they were looked after in a very small and safe environment (four children) and there were no problems.

I am not saying that the boys have asperger (they are only 3 years old) but there is a possibility, and at least one of them def. has this problem with sound. He will stand with his hands over his ears and hide in a corner. The other day when they were on the playground I had problems with all the sounds (and the sunlight).

So I bought him a pair of noise reducing earmuffs. We have been talking about it and he told me that he very much would like such a thing (they are very vocal and have excellent speech abilities). This morning the earmuffs arrived with the post and when we put them on, in the kindergarten he looked absolutely happy. Happy face, happy smile and he told me he liked them :D

There might be an element of getting a new toy, but he still seemed to like them very much. Now the only problem is that I did not buy a pair for his twin brother - he threw a fit (and got to borrow the headphones from his very kind brother). Guess I have to buy one more pair.

:thumleft:

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2013, 8:02 am

Awww! I love a happy story. Thanks. :D

My kid won't even wear a hat or sunglasses--much less earmuffs.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2013, 9:25 am

Awww, cute!

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2013, 10:53 am

Yay!

BTW - if down the line you reach a point where earmuffs aren't socially acceptable to your child, we've found that noise-reducing earbuds (the kind you use with an ipod) work pretty well and are easier to explain as long as all the adults know what they are for.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2013, 11:01 am

How do these work in a classroom environment?? Do they actually muffle background noise w/o affecting the kid's ability to hear the teacher??

I would love to try these on DS5-- the dx is now ADHD (thank God-- 10% is a hard minority to marginalize or ignore and "bad kid" is an easier stigma to fight than "psychopath") but it seems to me that he has much more trouble controlling his behavior the more overstimulated he gets (still suspect ASD but getting someone to see it is going to be hard with all the "covering" tricks I've ingrained and besides that I am sooooo not going to push it).

I wonder if something like these might make it easier for him to keep his focus (and therefore his self-control) going into first grade... Which I guess he will be doing as I cannot make a legitimate case to retain a child who is performing academically at or above grade level.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2013, 5:37 pm

Again, can't speak to the other kind of headphones, but that's my understanding - and that is how DS (12) feels about the earbuds - it actually helps him to hear because he can screen out the outside noise.

ConfusedNewb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 May 2013, 5:51 pm

Aw that's sweet :)