Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 12:23 pm

I can't play Skyrim because it makes me severely nauseous. Does anyone else have that issue? From what I recall, I have never had that issue with any other game.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 12:32 pm

It might have been a migraine or motion sickness

Quote:
Motion sickness or kinetosis, also known as travel sickness, is a condition in which a disagreement exists between visually perceived movement and the vestibular system's sense of movement.

Maybe it's too real, so your body feels like it should be moving and then it doesn't?

Sorry that happened, hope whatever it was doesn't happen again :(
I haven't had that issue with Skyrim at least, but I had to get a mod to stop the camera from spinning so fast around the char when AFK (and some mods to make it less grey and boring, but that's not as relevant)

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 12:37 pm

I do get migraines a lot, so maybe it was triggering me? I just uninstalled it because I wasn't really hell-bent on playing it anyway. From the couple of hours I did play, I couldn't see what the hype was all about, at least graphics-wise. I hadn't played long enough to really experience game play.

Weirdly enough, I didn't this this effect when I used to play Unreal. That was a long time ago, though.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 1:43 pm

My guess is that it's from the graphic effects. Have you tried going into the options and modifying them to see if it helps? Setting everything to the lowest possible would probably help, since then you wouldn't have all of the extra lighting stuff

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 2:02 pm

Believe it or not, what helps me is to make sure my framerate is not too high... turn up details to the max and see if you can slow down the motion?

Of course, everyone is different.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 2:19 pm

I dont get that with Skyrim, but there was one game I had on the Amiga that I could hardly play for motion sickness.
Cannot remember the game, it was a Doom type game.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 2:28 pm

I used to play Skyrim, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

starship
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 May 2013, 2:28 pm

First person games, like Fallout and Skyrim, used to make me nauseous too, but I guess I got used to it. It used to be that I could manage an hour or so before having to stop, but lately I haven't noticed it at all and forgot about it until you mentioned it. I wonder if it's because I have a new computer that's much more powerful and can run the games on their highest settings? (I'm also prone to migraines.)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 2:33 pm

The virtual motion sickness that FPS games seem to cause is one of the main reasons why I went back to playing table-top RPGs.

The only time I felt nauseous playing Traveller was when the referee went into too much detail while describing a post-mortem on a Hiver.

:eew:

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 2:39 pm

Usually, it's choppy low FPS that gets to me. But I didn't have the patience to mess with the settings since the game didn't really hook me anyways. I'm playing on a laptop, but the screen is bigger and better than my PC since it's a gaming laptop. I haven't touched my PC since I bought this a year ago.

I miss tabletop games. I can rarely find people who are into them anymore. I miss my rogue. I also like card and board games.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 2:56 pm

I've never played Skyrim but I've never really gotten motion sick from playing games. I'm afraid to play the Nintendo 3Ds, however, because I heard it made a lot of people sick or get bad headaches. That and the fact that I heard it sucks. :(

I heard that when you get motion sick it's mainly because of the fluid inside your ears being sloshed around, messing up your balance. This must mean the stuff inside some people's ears is like water while inside my mother's ears it's like cement, because even though she's flown a lot and been on ships and told me she's never gotten sick. Lucky. :? Oh, and your brain thinks you must be poisoned. Well it's wrong, duh! :x

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 2:59 pm

Something about the motion in Bioshock2 on my big screen really brought on the nausea... that so rarely happens... it could be just the wobbly way the character moves...

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 3:22 pm

Just remembered the Amiga game that made me sick, "Breathless"
My Amiga 1200 was maxed out so was faster than the following you-tube that doesn't look so bad, on mine when you turned you would go too far and too quickly then would have to turn back to correct etc.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDnEOHqQ6VU[/youtube]

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 4:54 pm

I had a bit of the same issue (although I only got dizzy) when playing Battlefield 3 after getting a monitor with 120 Hz refresh rate. However, it went away after 10 minutes or so...

Anyway, if it *is* the frame rate causing the problem in Skyrim, there is a mod...

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/34/?

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 5:22 pm

I never played Skyrim but there are video games with certain kinds of camera movements that give me really bad motion sickness so I can't play them. A couple that have bothered me were Legacy of Cain: Soul Reaver for the PS1 and the Buffy game for the PS2. I can't play most games where the camera is behind your character and moves automatically. I prefer games with a fixed camera angle. I prefer rpgs and simulation games so I don't run into that as much but I still do sometimes.

I get the same effect from watching a youtube video or movie with a shaky screen, like if they filmed it with a camcorder and a shaky hand.

I'm reluctant to get the 3DS because I don't know what it looks like or if it will make me sick. I have no way to check and it makes me suspicious that the video game store doesn't have one on display like they always did with past dses. When I tried to look at a 3d tv in a store it was a blurry double image and didn't look 3d to me. I don't know if I can't see it or they just had it set up poorly. I did have the glasses on.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 5:34 pm

I googled a bit and apparently more people experience nausea from playing Skyrim. Someone even made a mod to get rid of some of the causes:

No Motion Sickness Mod

(GGPViper also posted another mod like this)

Apparantly the head bobbing/camera bobbing is one of the reasons for this. I read that Skyrim has both head bobbing and weapon bobbing, while Fallout: New Vegas only has weapon bobbing and that made a difference for some people. Another one is FOV (field of vision), which is different from game to game.

Motion sickness is actually a false positive for poison. The body interprets the discrepancy between the senses as something caused by poison and tries to make us vomit. You can try it out by drinking alcohol until the world starts spinning and you start puking, very similar to motion sickness.