Do you try to go beyond repetitive activities?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 12:24 am

Such as finding new hobbies, or even trivial actions like finding new places to eat at or different ways of doing usual activities.

I notice repetitive behaviour is something that drags me down to my rut so I try to have some variation (though perhaps not very successfully). This is a subject I admit I do know much about, so I thought I would start a thread.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 3:06 am

I love repetitive activity. I have repetitive motions, routines, thoughts, and interests and I love those repetitive motions, routines, thoughts and interests because my brain just wants to go there over and over again. I don't try to go beyond repetitive activities, but sometimes something new will interest me and if it really really really interests me it will become a new repetitive activity that my brain will go to over and over and over again.

alakazaam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 May 2013, 9:44 am

I always listen to music at home. My mp3 player charger stopped working, which meant no music. I threw everything off the table because I was so mad and paced back and forth for 10 minutes. I never try to go out of my way for new habits or new interests unless I can do the same interest while doing another interest.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 10:17 am

I completely relate to the OP. I need that novelty and excitement of exploration sometimes, or I start feeling in a self-imposed prison.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 10:38 am

I do like novelty and excitement of exploration also. Especially things like looking at artwork in museums or books. In fact that is one of my repetitive interests. I love looking through the colorful pages of art books and exploring all of the visual images.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 10:53 am

I've been thinking to myself for a while now: "What would happen if I just took the bus to a random place in the city, and walked around and saw what was there?" I wouldn't go to a high-crime area, of course. I just wonder--what would it be like to do something unplanned and random? But I haven't tried it yet.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 12:27 pm

Exploring new places and experiencing novel situations can be mind expanding. It is like reading a book and learning about new ideas. You don't have to change your repetitive behaviors to learn new things. It doesn't mean you have tired of your repetitive behaviors, they will always be there.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 12:34 pm

Marybird wrote:
Exploring new places and experiencing novel situations can be mind expanding. It is like reading a book and learning about new ideas. You don't have to change your repetitive behaviors to learn new things. It doesn't mean you have tired of your repetitive behaviors, they will always be there.
Ah, now, new books--that I can do. It's just new things and places that freak me out. :)

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 12:59 pm

A significant paradox in my life is my desire (sometimes a craving) for novelty and my tendency towards routine. Novelty of experience is important to me. Not so much when it comes to food though. I want to travel a lot and see many different places. I don't like to go to the same places for vacation every year even though my family always wants to go to the same cottage. I do tend to like certain foods so much that I feel like missing even one opportunity to have them is the end of the world. Since trying a new food would mean giving up the one that I'm practically addicted to for just once I'm less eager to do it. Leisure is somewhere in the middle. I actually get tired of certain activities but not as quickly as most people. I'm usually still enjoying something when other people have already moved on but I do eventually get tired of activities and move on to something else.

My desire for new experiences is something that pushes me towards trying certain substances but at the same time my conscientiousness regarding my financial situation makes me worry about getting hooked on something. I also have trouble finding things due to my lack of a social connection. So far I've tried Salvia because it was the only accessible hallucinogen and hallucinogens appeal to my desire for novelty more than mood altering substances. I got ripped off. The Salvia was fake. I tried methylphenidate even though it wasn't as attractive as a hallucinogen. I finally found some friends that are going to show me marijuana but I still haven't gotten that hallucinatory experience that truly appeals to my desire for novelty.

New places and new experiences are attractive to me but I also have a tendency to get stuck in a routine. I go on autopilot.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 1:22 pm

Sometimes, but not with some routines, such as my food routines. I can handle, and even enjoy, some novelty as long as my other fundamental routines are intact.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 1:22 pm

Callista wrote:
Marybird wrote:
Ah, now, new books--that I can do. It's just new things and places that freak me out. :)

Yes, books are wonderful. They can take you anywhere.: )