Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

snailey
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: Dec 10, 2012
Posts: 13

14 May 2013, 8:59 pm

It seems like we even get obsessions that torture us and we just want them to stop. This is all because we have a one track mind? Can anyone explain why Aspies obsess? I've been googling for while and haven't come up with much more than that.



syndragon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: May 06, 2013
Posts: 43

14 May 2013, 9:16 pm

Its because it is a safezone. Your doing what u like a u dont have to socialize to get it.

Usually when you decide that your going to do something different, specially if it is outdoors, means or requires u to talk to someone or more than someone.
When u are doing what u like most and not needing to interact with anyone else, your anxiety goes away and you are also having a enjoyable time.

U won´t see an Asperger that have the obsess of meeting new people or going for sports like football, volleyball that requires teamplaying and cooperating with a lot of different people.


_________________
The more I know the less I know.


seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Feb 22, 2012
Posts: 1198

14 May 2013, 10:23 pm

Syndragon provided a good explanation for enjoyable obsessive interests but ones that torture us are a different story.



boywonder
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: Aug 01, 2010
Posts: 114

14 May 2013, 11:30 pm

Some dogs obsessively clean, creating wounds. Obsession can be either genetic or a learned behaviour. Both would contribute in most cases. Repetitive behaviours are like a shamans drum, and pacing of the room, so are not always harmful. Smoking ciggies and jerking off all day could be improved

Like someone who is born genetically challenged may not obsess if parents and society do an amazing job with them, or even a non genetic disposition may have such a poor childhood that obsessing would likely occur.

Genes and place in society are linked, so it gets blurred regarding nature or nurture.

Trauma and fear, boredom, as well as autistic repetitive behaviours. Border collies and sticks!



CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Jul 17, 2004
Posts: 91557
Location: In a quiet and peaceful garden, where gentle Mick Avory-like Sweet Peas grow.

14 May 2013, 11:55 pm

Because we can.


_________________
The darling, unworldly Mick Avory with hands like shovels, who wouldn't dare choose to hurt a soul: I'm the cuddly, adorable Kink. Sweet Peas: http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/C ... 20Smileys/ Blog: http://ramblingsofasuccessfula


oceandrop
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: Jul 09, 2011
Posts: 411

15 May 2013, 5:51 am

"Obsessions that torture us and we want them to stop" sounds more like OCD than AS.

The two can be co-morbid, but people with AS like their special interests and they are the opposite of torture, providing happiness and comfort etc.



seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Feb 22, 2012
Posts: 1198

15 May 2013, 10:54 am

oceandrop wrote:
"Obsessions that torture us and we want them to stop" sounds more like OCD than AS.

The two can be co-morbid, but people with AS like their special interests and they are the opposite of torture, providing happiness and comfort etc.


You can like your special interests and still be tortured by them. They can torture you if you can't explore them. I've had obsessions that wouldn't have been painful if they were possible to explore. I've had special interests in things that I couldn't even be certain existed. How can you study something that doesn't exist? It's impossible so if your special interest doesn't exist it is frustrating even though the interest would be desirable if it did exist. You like the obsession but it's eternally frustrating.



Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Apr 26, 2012
Posts: 1485

15 May 2013, 11:46 am

I think your cortex is just hard wired for obsessive and repetitive behavior.
I love obsessions. I live for obsessions.To me they are not torture. It would be torture to take them away.



Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Apr 26, 2012
Posts: 1485

15 May 2013, 11:50 am

seaturtleisland wrote:
oceandrop wrote:
"Obsessions that torture us and we want them to stop" sounds more like OCD than AS.

The two can be co-morbid, but people with AS like their special interests and they are the opposite of torture, providing happiness and comfort etc.


You can like your special interests and still be tortured by them. They can torture you if you can't explore them. I've had obsessions that wouldn't have been painful if they were possible to explore. I've had special interests in things that I couldn't even be certain existed. How can you study something that doesn't exist? It's impossible so if your special interest doesn't exist it is frustrating even though the interest would be desirable if it did exist. You like the obsession but it's eternally frustrating.

How can you be interested in something that doesn't exist? Does it exist in your mind or is it an idea?



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Feb 23, 2010
Posts: 10671
Location: Great Britain

15 May 2013, 12:26 pm

Quote:
U won´t see an Asperger that have the obsess of meeting new people or going for sports like football, volleyball that requires teamplaying and cooperating with a lot of different people.


You wouldn't think so, neither would I, but for some weird reason I happen to obsess with certain people. I didn't have any obsessions when I was a small child, but when I got to about 11, I started getting intense obsessions with people. I am currently obsessed with bus-drivers, and bus-drivers are people, and so this obsessions requires social interaction if I want to pursue it even further. So when I'm looking out for buses, I'm not all interested in the way the buses are built and I can't give an intelligent monologue about how buses work, and I can't memorize the routes or the times or the numbers and destinations of the buses (I barely remember the times of the bus that I get almost every day, I still have to keep looking at the timetable). I just look out for the buses just for the men driving them.

Even my grandmother said, ''they just fascinate you because they're bus-drivers.'' She's right.

I would have thought Aspies naturally wouldn't get obsessions with people.


_________________
Yes I am a straight female.
From East UK
Aged 24


seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Feb 22, 2012
Posts: 1198

15 May 2013, 12:44 pm

Marybird wrote:
seaturtleisland wrote:
oceandrop wrote:
"Obsessions that torture us and we want them to stop" sounds more like OCD than AS.

The two can be co-morbid, but people with AS like their special interests and they are the opposite of torture, providing happiness and comfort etc.


You can like your special interests and still be tortured by them. They can torture you if you can't explore them. I've had obsessions that wouldn't have been painful if they were possible to explore. I've had special interests in things that I couldn't even be certain existed. How can you study something that doesn't exist? It's impossible so if your special interest doesn't exist it is frustrating even though the interest would be desirable if it did exist. You like the obsession but it's eternally frustrating.

How can you be interested in something that doesn't exist? Does it exist in your mind or is it an idea?


It can be an idea. It can be something that I don't know for sure exists or not but I hope it does. If it didn't exist it would explain my frustration with it. It can be something that I know doesn't exist in real life but I can't accept that so I obsess over it anyway. It could also be something that I used to believe existed whole-heartedly and now that I know it doesn't the feeling that it does is still there. I know it doesn't exist but I have such a strong feeling that it does which creates cognitive dissonance.



Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Apr 26, 2012
Posts: 1485

15 May 2013, 1:06 pm

seaturtleisland wrote:
Marybird wrote:
seaturtleisland wrote:
oceandrop wrote:
"Obsessions that torture us and we want them to stop" sounds more like OCD than AS.

The two can be co-morbid, but people with AS like their special interests and they are the opposite of torture, providing happiness and comfort etc.


You can like your special interests and still be tortured by them. They can torture you if you can't explore them. I've had obsessions that wouldn't have been painful if they were possible to explore. I've had special interests in things that I couldn't even be certain existed. How can you study something that doesn't exist? It's impossible so if your special interest doesn't exist it is frustrating even though the interest would be desirable if it did exist. You like the obsession but it's eternally frustrating.

How can you be interested in something that doesn't exist? Does it exist in your mind or is it an idea?


It can be an idea. It can be something that I don't know for sure exists or not but I hope it does. If it didn't exist it would explain my frustration with it. It can be something that I know doesn't exist in real life but I can't accept that so I obsess over it anyway. It could also be something that I used to believe existed whole-heartedly and now that I know it doesn't the feeling that it does is still there. I know it doesn't exist but I have such a strong feeling that it does which creates cognitive dissonance.

I think maybe a lot of great discoveries have been made by people with obsessions like that. It's part of thinking outside the box.



Darrin_Rowan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: May 14, 2013
Posts: 3

15 May 2013, 4:09 pm

I don't believe I ever had that problem. I know I have asperger's, because a few different psychiatrists diagnosed me. Though, I don't recall being fixated in any way on anything.

The closest I've ever come to being obsessed about anything is when I'm playing a video game that's really difficult; I become obsessed with finishing it and seeing the ending.



drewski56
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: Dec 13, 2012
Posts: 79
Location: Cascadia

16 May 2013, 12:42 am

Marybird wrote:
I think your cortex is just hard wired for obsessive and repetitive behavior.
I love obsessions. I live for obsessions.To me they are not torture. It would be torture to take them away.


My understanding is that in the Autistic/Aspergers brain neurons form fewer and weaker long distance connections but extra, redundant short term connections resulting in a sort of feedback loop.



Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Oct 17, 2010
Posts: 579

16 May 2013, 3:24 am

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
U won´t see an Asperger that have the obsess of meeting new people or going for sports like football, volleyball that requires teamplaying and cooperating with a lot of different people.


You wouldn't think so, neither would I, but for some weird reason I happen to obsess with certain people. I didn't have any obsessions when I was a small child, but when I got to about 11, I started getting intense obsessions with people. I am currently obsessed with bus-drivers, and bus-drivers are people, and so this obsessions requires social interaction if I want to pursue it even further. So when I'm looking out for buses, I'm not all interested in the way the buses are built and I can't give an intelligent monologue about how buses work, and I can't memorize the routes or the times or the numbers and destinations of the buses (I barely remember the times of the bus that I get almost every day, I still have to keep looking at the timetable). I just look out for the buses just for the men driving them.

Even my grandmother said, ''they just fascinate you because they're bus-drivers.'' She's right.

I would have thought Aspies naturally wouldn't get obsessions with people.


I obsess with people! Usually teachers or people in that sort of role (I used to want to be a teacher but couldn't get through teacher training). Not sure why though :/



Display posts from previous:  Sort by  


Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next



 Similar Topics 
Other Aspies what are the interest you obsess over.

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in General Autism Discussion

14 Apr 2010, 4:53 pm

SpongeBobRocksMao View the latest post

Do Aspies obsess about being normal?

[ Go to page: 1, 2, 3 ]

in General Autism Discussion

24 Sep 2014, 12:56 pm

Jensen View the latest post

What do you obsess about?

[ Go to page: 1, 2, 3 ]

in General Autism Discussion

16 Dec 2008, 5:36 pm

richardbenson View the latest post

Is it wrong to obsess?

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in General Autism Discussion

15 May 2014, 8:13 am

RainbowFairy View the latest post



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to: