What do you think is a good age to start dating?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Amberlena
Toucan
Toucan

18 May 2013, 4:01 pm

How old do you think someone should be to start dating? If you have been in a relationship before, how old were you?

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2013, 4:07 pm

When you feel like; this is the only answer. Too bad the society we live in will judge any man who haven't dated by the time he's 18.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

18 May 2013, 4:09 pm

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2013, 4:44 pm

The only sure way not to start dating too early is not to date ever.

In the worst case, the right age is as soon as you’re fully independent, so neither your parents, nor anybody else, can stop you anymore.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2013, 4:51 pm

I was allowed to double date at 14 and date at 16.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2013, 6:37 pm

When you're ready and when it feels like the right person.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2013, 11:54 pm

JanuaryMan wrote:
When you're ready and when it feels like the right person.

Not to mention we're all different... some of us mature slower than others and might not even be "ready" at 18-20! (Depending on the level of 'sperg?)

I dated too soon and got terrible advice from my nutcase mother (no advice at ALL from my absent father.)

She told me (in so many words) that sex=love, so I pursued sex. It didn't make me happy... I desired love more than anything. :oops:

InnaLucia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 May 2013, 4:38 am

I was 16.

mattarga
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 May 2013, 5:19 pm

Any age. I don't think it is ever too late to date, regardless of age.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 5:25 pm

For actual dating I would say 16 or 17. But I am old fashioned and I don't believe they should go parking or start being too physical until at least 18.

People mature at different rates but I don't think anyone younger than 18 is ready for all that goes with a real relationship, and are too apt to fall in love with someone wrong for them due to inexperience (in life as well as love.)

WestBender84
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2013, 6:13 pm

Never. Just be friends to minimize drama.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 6:40 pm

Amberlena wrote:
How old do you think someone should be to start dating?

Old enough so that you don't have to ask your parents' permission.

Amberlena wrote:
If you have been in a relationship before, how old were you?

First 'serious' relationship at 20 - it ended 12 years later.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 6:43 pm

Popsicle wrote:
People mature at different rates but I don't think anyone younger than 18 is ready for all that goes with a real relationship, and are too apt to fall in love with someone wrong for them due to inexperience (in life as well as love.)

This has always baffled me. If you have no experience, you’re not qualified to start doing it, so you should keep putting it off, so you’ll never get any experience. There’s no way out of the vicious cycle other than breaking the rules, which is what most people do.

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

20 May 2013, 10:40 am

Whenever it happens. If anybody judges, well screw them.

That being said, I wish I'd started earlier, not for the status but for the experience so I'd find things easier now.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2014, 4:17 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Popsicle wrote:

This has always baffled me. If you have no experience, you’re not qualified to start doing it, so you should keep putting it off, so you’ll never get any experience. There’s no way out of the vicious cycle other than breaking the rules, which is what most people do.

I have to agree with Popsicle here, though. Dating and experience aren't mutually exclusive. Nobody "qualifies" for dating. You just decide you want to and you go for it.

And I don't think there really is any meaningful "experience" you get by diving in earlier. Keep it simple. You run in a particular social circle. You see certain people all the time fairly regularly. You have a nice conversation with someone every time you see that person. You say, "hey, that's really interesting, and I like to hear more about _____. You want to get together at [name_bar] at __o'clock on ___day? Awesome! See you then!"

That's really all it takes. Anybody can pull that off.

It doesn't guarantee that you'll end up in a relationship (with that person). I doesn't promise you'll get laid. It just means you started out with only 5 minutes to spend with someone, and now you have at least an hour later on. And that's just the beginning. The only previous experience you really need is just with making friends and maintaing platonic relationships. If you can do THAT, dating and romantic relationships are not going to be a problem, regardless of your lack of experience in that arena.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2014, 4:22 pm

Never. Dating is not for neurodiverse people. Start experimenting with neurodiverse flirting instead, which I did at age 13 or something.