Page 4 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 6:51 pm

You know if I start reading her books I'll come here and torture you all with it; chapter and verse. :D

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 7:41 pm

Raptor wrote:
You know if I start reading her books I'll come here and torture you all with it; chapter and verse. :D

You do know I have the option just not to read your posts, if that indeed is you plan. :lol:

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 8:02 pm

/\
You don't seem to be able to help it. :D
And even if you don't I assure you there are others that will.

Besides, it's not like the left doesn't intentionally post it's fair share (putting it conservatively) of one sided rhetoric here.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 10:21 pm

Raptor wrote:
/\
You don't seem to be able to help it. :D
And even if you don't I assure you there are others that will.

Besides, it's not like the left doesn't intentionally post it's fair share (putting it conservatively) of one sided rhetoric here.

I read everyone's posts because I am exceedingly polite.

normal2357
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 May 2013, 11:43 pm

Dox47 wrote:
normal2357 wrote:
Read the second paragraph again, I make it clear the absence of "Teleological" thinking in Aspies is not absolute, therefore some Aspies will think "Teleologically" regardless.

I saw your hedge, and it's still wrong, just look around the forum a bit. There is a slightly different flavor to AS thinking when it comes to politics, but to say that we're less susceptible to ends based thinking because of our condition is patently incorrect. I've talked politics with Aspies and NTs alike over the years, and while the NTs might as a group tend to be more forceful in person simply due to our communications deficiency, there is nothing remotely approaching a universal belief or method in Aspie politics and philosophy. I'll say it again, look through any thread in this forum, and you'll find multiple people making ends based arguments, the evidence is right there for you to see.

No body is arguing with your empirically derived argument, on the contrary, it is just not pertinent to my argument, which is not really an argument but restated facts accepted by Neurosciencetist and Neurologist alike. Read the following you will love it. "Scientific American" even has a blog on this very article.

For facts concerning "Teleological thinking" in the "Aspie" population see the following article in "Scientific American":

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/obs ... heir-lives

See you at the "The Square Peg" event in Bothel this Sunday if you can make it.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2013, 12:20 am

normal2357 wrote:

Ahh, I saw your location and kinda wondered if I might know you. The PNW is such a small place really.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2013, 5:17 am

Dox47 wrote:
normal2357 wrote:

Ahh, I saw your location and kinda wondered if I might know you. The PNW is such a small place really.

Do you ever come east of the Cascades? If so, swing by Spokane Valley.

PseudointellectualHorse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jun 2013, 5:53 pm

1000Knives wrote:
I'm diagnosed NVLD/AS and have fairly socially conservative/libertarian views.
The buzzword of the era is "tolerant", which everyone seems to advocate and everyone says the other side isn't. Seems to me the truly "tolerant" society achieves a balance between authoritarianism (where the central planners tell you what to do) and anarchy (theoretically free, but as a practical matter something big will rise up and stomp you). The Western trend of the last century has been toward enlightened authoritarianism for the presumed sake of the common good; this is bad news for people that are "different" and not politically influential. So as a "different" and un-influential creature, with a healthy (some would say "unhealthy") distrust of authority...yeah, tilting "conservative" seems right to me. This is not to say that plenty of "conservatives" don't hold bonehead opinions; I just don't see the "conservatives" as being -- in the context of the present day and the present culture -- as inclined as the "liberals" to beat me into enlightened agreement by force of law. "Conservatives" will point their fingers at me and tsk; "liberals" will send in the regulators and bureaucrats.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 10:15 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Well, she certainly didn't show any love toward the downtrodden. In an interview with Mike Wallace, she said Christ was wrong to show compassion to those in need, and that they didn't deserve love. If that's not hatefulness, then it's certainly hardheartedness.

Those who are the most productive or original deserve the most praise. That is simple justice. To elevate someone just because of their deficiencies and their consequential needs is the kind of sentimentality that will lead to ruination. One should value most, the Brightest and the Best. Charity towards the incompetent is of much less utility.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 12:33 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Well, she certainly didn't show any love toward the downtrodden. In an interview with Mike Wallace, she said Christ was wrong to show compassion to those in need, and that they didn't deserve love. If that's not hatefulness, then it's certainly hardheartedness.

Those who are the most productive or original deserve the most praise. That is simple justice. To elevate someone just because of their deficiencies and their consequential needs is the kind of sentimentality that will lead to ruination. One should value most, the Brightest and the Best. Charity towards the incompetent is of much less utility.

ruveyn

It's not a matter of who deserves the most praise, but rather, it's a matter of compassion.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 12:35 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

It's not a matter of who deserves the most praise, but rather, it's a matter of compassion.

Try practicing compassion in a leaky lifeboat over filled with people half of whom can neither bail nor row. That kind of compassion kills.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 12:38 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Try practicing compassion in a leaky lifeboat over filled with people half of whom can neither bail nor row. That kind of compassion kills.

ruveyn

I refuse to be the one to start throwing people overboard. And eventually, someone's going to figure my family and I should get tossed to certain death for the benefit of "my betters." If someone makes such a threat, I'll suggest they be the first to take a swim for the greater good.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 9:46 pm

Compassion has to be practical and it cannot be the deciding factor in everything.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 9:50 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

I refuse to be the one to start throwing people overboard. And eventually, someone's going to figure my family and I should get tossed to certain death for the benefit of "my betters." If someone makes such a threat, I'll suggest they be the first to take a swim for the greater good.

Then be prepared for an earlier death than you would like.

Here is a hint. Might makes Right. It always has and it always will.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 11:15 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Then be prepared for an earlier death than you would like.

Here is a hint. Might makes Right. It always has and it always will.

ruveyn

Another Jew once said, "Take up your cross and follow me." Sometimes doing the right thing has a cost, but it's still the right thing.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 11:16 pm

Raptor wrote:
Compassion has to be practical and it cannot be the deciding factor in everything.

But neither can we be ice cold and hardhearted when making decisions.