Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AlienCat
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 May 2013, 8:08 am

I know that this might be a bad idea but I am just just throwing this out. Aspie Affection is actually still used (to some degree) and as everyone knows, that site is broken. So I am thinking about making a new site, that are perhaps less focused on dating but meeting other persons. Some obvious flaws are that none would use that site and that it kind of defeats the purpose of this site.

So what do you think? Would this be useful or just waste of time? What would that site contain, what can you do on that site? How would a site like that differ from a forum such as this?

I got some ideas and arguments but I am just want to hear the general opinion.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 9:31 am

I think it would be very useful. A lot of intro posts on here get lost and there's so many of them, and none of them are organised. Same goes for the "Eligible Odd Bods" thread and the friendship threads.

I did see one autistic dating site that charged people for using it, and I signed up and found out you had to pay for it. I really resent the thought of paying when there's lots of free dating sites around.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 9:35 am

I'm single and looking for a guy. If there was a decent Aspie site I'd use it.

BTW why is that other site broken?

AlienCat
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 May 2013, 11:51 am

This site would be free (for anyone that are not NT that is. There are many dating sites where you have to pay to compensate that you are different as far I understand. This might do the other way around). I cannot assure you if there will be any advertisements or premium functions, a small income are needed to keep the site up. But you will be able to use all the common features that a dating/contact site have for free.

Structure is important for sure, I will make some sketches if interests exists.

The other site is broken because none is working on it. This is called "code-rot" and simply put: as web browsers and operation systems develops, something computerbased will with time break and loose compatibly. Also, hackers will always find new methods to abuse websites and if you are not keeping it up to date, it will not be protected. Most likely that is.

Adam_Raki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 May 2013, 12:17 pm

I am totally agree! This kind of site would be very helpful!! !
I am single and I don't know where I can find aspies for meetings and dates.
Maybe what I am saying sound weird, but I am looking for such website.

Thanks for this great ideas :D

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 12:39 pm

MollyTroubletail wrote:
I'm single and looking for a guy.

If thats you in your Avatar, I dont see why you would have much difficulty, where do you live?

JDintheQuietCorner
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2013, 1:45 pm

Maybe the worst part of that site was not being able to search by location.

So there you are, with the task of clicking through How Many Pages?

I signed up, them gave up.

AlienCat
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 May 2013, 3:39 pm

You mean the the interest form that you fill in the beginning? That stuff will be more or less gone in this site, instead you could add interests and facts about yourself in similar ways as popular social sites.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 4:08 pm

MollyTroubletail wrote:
I'm single and looking for a guy. If there was a decent Aspie site I'd use it.

BTW why is that other site broken?

    You're Pretty!! !
    With a capital P!

Edited to add unsolicited advice:
widen your eyeliner and eyeshadow a bit, narrower eyes look old at any age.

Logan5
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2013, 4:40 pm

There are (or were) other dating and friendship websites targeted towards people on the autism spectrum. http://www.autisticdating.net/ appears to be made using the same template software as Aspie Affection, but it does not (yet) suffer from as many problems as Aspie Affection. Also, one can sometimes find people with autism spectrum disorders on websites for people with disabilities (for a partial list of sites, see http://www.alldatingwebsites.com/dir/di ... tingsites/ ).

Unfortunately, searching for a friend or romantic partner who is also on the autism spectrum tends to be difficult because people on the autism spectrum make up a small minority of the general population (roughly 1%; a recent study suggested about 1 in 50 males and 1 in 300 females). If you then narrow your search by demographic characteristics (e.g. acceptable age range, religion, etc.) and geographical location, there may be no one left. :?

mfs1013
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2013, 5:37 pm

did you know that PlentyOfFish.com has a forum section?

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/mfs1013

http://soundcloud.com/DJMFS
http://mixcloud.com/DJMFS

AlienCat
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 May 2013, 12:38 pm

Actually, I was not aware of other autism spectrum sites. By searching on the internet, I just got Aspie Affection suggestion. Maybe this is not a good idea after all? I was however thinking something slightly different than what I have seen so far.

And for tackling austisticdating, that site have an ancient look so something looking more modern would surly attract more users. I will however talk with them, perhaps we can work something out together.

(A side note, I am not even able to create a profile on austisticdating, I never got the confirmation mail)

ALguy1957
Raven
Raven

29 May 2013, 5:27 am

That is something I would be in favor of too. I've been using dating sites for the past 3 years and am still very much looking for a nice woman over 35 or 40. That free autisticdating site I was able to do searches on it without even joining. But there were only about 20 or 30 women on it in the whole USA over age 40. That is kind of useless. I use POF.com, datehookup.com (which has plenty of forums including a disabled section - I have seen aspies post in there). OKCupid and two BBW dating sites (for plus size women). Any new site would have to have a distance based search (like miles from your zip code). Or at least a search for each state. City name searches are useless in countries like the USA where lots of small town names are duplicated in many states. Also many people don't live in big cities. There a lot of active groups springing up on facebook too. Just type "aspie" or "asperger" into the search box at the top to find them. Some are private so non members can't read the posts.

AlienCat
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 May 2013, 12:59 pm

I would have to iron out what kind of terms that should be able to searched on. I want this site to be for people that want to be somewhat anonymous and don't want the whole world to know that they are dating. Therefore, a facebook group are not suitable for this, since everyone are able to see what groups you are in, as I understand that.

ALguy1957
Raven
Raven

29 May 2013, 3:43 pm

All dating sites are pretty much anonymous for the user so you could look at any site to see the set-up. You may have to contact someone that developed one for info. One woman that might be able to help you with that created a dating site for BBWs from her facebook page and I could find out how to contact her for you. Her site didn't have the distance based search so it was a hassle for me to use. It might be a good idea to allow non-aspies willing to date aspies or people with other conditions like ADHD or depression to join. Limiting a site to aspies only will result in at least 4 or 5 men for every one woman making it of little use to the men on here. (Except for the gays)

AlienCat
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 May 2013, 11:10 am

Yes, this site will be able for everyone. However if a normal person want to date another normal person, there are plenty of other sites that they can do that on. But I would not be able to- and do not want to stop them from doing that on "my" site.

Also, I am not familiar with all those acronyms; BBW?