Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 9:26 pm

neilson_wheels wrote:
It only serves to be a problem because those with AS are victimized and then continue to see themselves as victims

My ideal aspie would not have a victim mentality...
Victimism would not be in his/her vocabulary...
Unless he has a copy of the Urban dictionary... :P

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 6:36 am

My ideal aspie is psychologically flexible...
He/she has a scientific approach to life...
If he sees a better argument, he will embrace it...

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 Jun 2013, 4:19 am

[Moved from Autism Politics, Activism, and Media Representation to General Autism Discussion]

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 6:58 am

I'm not looking for an ideal Aspie. I'm looking for the ideal person, for me. And I'd like that person to be somebody that shies away from social situations (yes, it can be a person of any neurotype, not all NTs are tarred with the same brush all the time), and also somebody who has a lot of humour, but not annoying humour in the way where they're always bantering with others and all of that stuff. I just meant have good humour where you can say something stupid and they'll just laugh with you. Also they can empathise with me and we can make compromises, and if we do argue we always make up again minutes later, or even a day later as though it never happened. That is my idea of a good friend. Someone you can feel comfortable with expressing your thoughts and opinions without worrying about falling out or other forms of awkward conflict.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 11:00 pm

Pepe wrote:
Assuming you are an aspie, what traits do you most value in yourself?...

My deeply felt feelings and care for animals and their plight, my ability to empathise with their pain, my ability to gain and keep a pet's trust and love. That's a trait I find far more prevalent in Aspies than in NTs.

I would also count my concerns about the environment as one of the best things in me, but I'm not sure if that's more typically Aspie than NT trait.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 2:03 am

Skilpadde wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Assuming you are an aspie, what traits do you most value in yourself?...

My deeply felt feelings and care for animals and their plight, my ability to empathise with their pain, my ability to gain and keep a pet's trust and love. That's a trait I find far more prevalent in Aspies than in NTs.

Agreed...
I think aspies tend to have a greater affinity/respect with/for animals...
(Perhaps most of us were Buddhists in our former lives... ;) )
And this would be a positive trait I would add to my ideal aspie...

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 4:32 am

Imagination in problem-solving (and, at times, making).

EQ: 6.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 6:56 am

vanhalenkurtz wrote:
Imagination in problem-solving (and, at times, making).

Could you expand on what you have said here?

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 3:01 pm

Huh? :?

I mean, if autism is a spectrum, aren't we all different people? Therefore none of us would have a clear idea of what the Aspie is. I talso depends on where the person grows up, how people treat them, etc. People are born with certain advantages than others and that makes us who we are.

No such thing. I mean, what's the ideal human?

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 4:08 pm

BeggingTurtle wrote:

I mean, if autism is a spectrum, aren't we all different people? Therefore none of us would have a clear idea of what the Aspie is. I talso depends on where the person grows up, how people treat them, etc. People are born with certain advantages than others and that makes us who we are.

It's a theoretical discussion not a philosophical one.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 9:17 pm

neilson_wheels wrote:

It's a theoretical discussion not a philosophical one.

Indeed...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 9:34 pm

BeggingTurtle wrote:

It has been well established that Aspies tend to have certain characteristic clusters...
...which tend to be different, usually in terms of degree, to those of neurotypicals...
The purpose of this thread is to shed light on the traits that are positive...

"Know thy self..."

<quote>
"To thine own self be true..."
"How many people do you know in your life who pretend to be something that they're not?

Maybe they're trying to make their parents proud. Maybe they're pretending they're not hurt by something so that no one sees their "weaknesses".

And maybe they've squashed all their passions, all their life's desires to meet what they think society expects of them.

These people are not being TRUE to themselves. They're ignoring what they would TRULY want because they fear the fallout should they pursue it."
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 713AAGZE9b
<end quote>

In essence, you need to know your basic nature, your strengths, your weaknesses...
...if you wish to achieve your maximum potential...
Or in other words, if you want to strive towards self actualisation...

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jun 2013, 9:35 am

It's subjective as it depends on the individual's traits. You are more likely to regard a trait as ideal in people if you have it yourself, or know someone that has it and you admire them for it. Personally my list of ideal traits are honesty, being caring, accepting, and positivity.

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 7:07 pm

excellence in intellectual and moral qualities

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 7:41 pm

WrongWay wrote:
It's subjective as it depends on the individual's traits. You are more likely to regard a trait as ideal in people if you have it yourself, or know someone that has it and you admire them for it. Personally my list of ideal traits are honesty, being caring, accepting, and positivity.

On one aspect you have got it the wrong way around, WrongWay... :P
Just kidding, I like what you said, just couldn't pass up the opportunity for a little word smithing... ;)
Probably never been said before <irony>...

I can enormously admire traits that I will never possess, like real time intellectual fluidity.
That is, picking up real time information/data and comprehensively incorporating it into one's own philosophy/theory, on "the fly"...
(I guess being a Borg is out of the question then... ;))

I believe most aspies fall into this category of needing time to process new information and it is atypical if they do not...
So I guess I can't really add that trait to my ideal aspie as I couldn't add physical wings to my perfect aspie paradigm...
Unless I drink some "Red Bull"...

But surely, you have to admit there are characteristic "clusters" associated with being autistic, many of them advantageous in a social and personal context if allowed to develop without social judgmental/biased interference?