Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cgbspender42
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jun 2013, 4:16 pm

I hate weddings, but i'm going to one in an hour.
I think they are boring. I think it's great two peopel have foudn eahc other and want to live a life together but wish my friends would leave me out of it. They're always on saturday thus ruinning my weekend relaxation and the ceramony is dull. The pary that follows always leaves me sitting in a suit somewhere eating something that I could make for my self and make it tase far better at home. At the end the couple leave to go have a week of fun and i'm stuck with their friends and relatives for hours :evil: in a suit. There we go end rant.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 4:47 pm

Weddings and all other types of rituals are stupid and a waste of time and resources. Don't go.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 11:49 pm

Just become a super drunk embarrassment so nobody invites you to another one.

kahlua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jun 2013, 3:13 am

I agree. I hate them, end up sitting there for hours wishing I was elsewhere.

The worst one was when my OH was in the bridal party, I ended up on my own, bored and anxious.

FirstDay
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jun 2013, 7:39 am

Funerals are not much better, LOL

No matter what the cause for the gathering, it always involves
- hours of BOREDOM (because you're not doing anything meaningful), and
- public demonstration of feelings (which feels FAKE, no matter if you have the expected feelings or not).

Worth going only if invited by really very close people.
In my case, "really very close" people are just a few people, so I don't think I will have to attend any more weddings in my life (as we are all over 30, married or divorced), and very few funerals are expected.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 7:58 am

cgbspender42 wrote:
At the end the couple leave to go have a week of fun and i'm stuck with their friends and relatives for hours :evil: in a suit. There we go end rant.

O_o Now I am jealous. Around here it is expected of you to stay and entertain your guests until the last one is willing to go on his own. I was at home at 5:30 Sunday in the morning and felt completely destroyed for two days.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 2:53 pm

I might have to go to one in two weeks and really don't want to, because I heard it's all shallow and pointless conversation. I might either pretend that I'm nonverbal or start confronting people's approaches in a super-rational manner until they start talking about something more interesting and meaningful. I'm very tempted by food, though. :P

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 3:38 pm

Get drunk and argue with everyone about Politics and Religion.

WildTaltos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 7:58 pm

weddings in my religon are fun, so I gues it just depnds waht religon/tradition the weding is based upon - genraly it expcted for everyoen your inviting to bringg one food item whiel the couple provides a cake or soem other centerpiece food, anyoen who plays an instrumnt will bring it, so thatt aftre the ceremony (which, if traditonal, shuold end wtih couple copulatin on the altar), everyoen will eat and drinkk and musicians wil take turns playin so people can dancee and it is a veryy fun time.

EmberEyes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2013, 8:47 pm

I have only been invited to three weddings in my life, and I have always managed to sneak a book with me. Since nobody wants to talk to me or even notice I'm there, it doesn't seem to matter. Hide behind a plant in a corner and read, is my advice. Or in today's modern world, use the interwebz on your phone.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 9:41 pm

I work weddings. There are three ways to have fun at a wedding

1.) Bring a guest

2.) Mingle

3.) Get s**t faced and mingle.

It's good to try to get intel on a wedding. Are there a lot of single women coming? Is it all couples?

That helps to know to prepare.

BookPerson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jun 2013, 12:56 pm

I hate weddings as well. I'm happy for the couple, and I understand the ceremony, but the reception is so bloody boring. I hate dancing, and relatives always pester me to get on the dance floor - though I never yield to them. Relatives always go on trying to make me socialize and always inquire when I'm going to get a girlfriend, so one day I can get married too. I dislike how one can never discuss things of real importance or interest at the things. I normally end up sitting in a corner with a sympathetic relative of a similar mindset.

Last edited by BookPerson on 26 Jun 2013, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merceile
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jun 2013, 4:38 pm

The problem with weddings is that they take so damn long and you spend a lot of time waiting for the bride, for the food, speeches ect. That and having to wear a dress. You complain about suits? Try wearing nylon stockings, heels and make up. Just because I am female does not mean I like wearing anything even remotly looking like a skirt. But there tends to be a dress code and brides are easily insulted.

Another bad thing about weddings is that people want to share their happiness and try to set you up, especially if you are the only single women in the party.

By the way I am sure that stag nights are a lot more fun than bachelorettes parties (hen night). Just imagine a whole night with silly girls talking about shoes, hair styles, dresses, make up, complaining about men and more shoes.. and don't forget the baby talk, about the color of poop and the pain of giving birth. I get along ok with women normally, but large numbers of them among themselves are the most annoying thing in the world.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 8:56 pm

there's a tradition that the guests are not allowed to leave the reception until the bride and groom do. not sure if this is followed anymore.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 9:31 am

tweety_fan wrote:
there's a tradition that the guests are not allowed to leave the reception until the bride and groom do. not sure if this is followed anymore.
ot

Not at any wedding I've ever been to.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 10:01 pm

it is an old tradition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_reception

A ceremony is often made of the newlyweds' departure. Rice or birdseed, signifying abundance, may be thrown at the departing couple, with birdseed preferred by facility managers, since it requires less clean up work than rice, and new, mess-free substitutes, such as blowing soap bubbles or ringing small bells being even more favored by the cleaning staff.[5]

As the newlyweds are the guests of honor, the other guests are expected to remain at the reception until they leave them, and consequently, it is an imposition on the other guests for the newlyweds to stay unreasonably long at the party.[5] On occasion, the newlyweds will stage an official leave-taking, so that guests feel free to leave, and then quietly return through another door.

I remember going to my aunts wedding as a kid and sleeping in the car. (my sister was flower girl).