Page 2 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 2:52 pm

I enjoyed the Cross character's portrayal but think that the disrobing in front of her boss was indulgent and a cheap shot to get some skin on camera. I also felt that her apology for the lack of empathy was a bit reaching and contrived--it was as if the writers were trying to scream, "Asperger's!" instead of relying strictly on observable behavior and "natural" dialogue. If they had left it alone at just asking him if he wanted a glass of water, that would have been enough. Less is more.

nopenope
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jul 2013, 6:20 pm

So far it seems quite a bit like bon cop/bad cop plotwise

Triple__B
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jul 2013, 7:21 pm

Yes, it had cars on it. But seriously, no I don't watch tv.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 29 of 200
Nothing is permanent in this wicked world. Not even our troubles. ~ Charles Chaplin

analyser23
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jul 2013, 7:25 pm

I have watched the whole first series - I LOVED IT and can't wait for series 2!! ! :)

Oh, I just realised there is now an American version. I watched the original one.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2013, 9:25 am

mikassyna wrote:
I enjoyed the Cross character's portrayal but think that the disrobing in front of her boss was indulgent and a cheap shot to get some skin on camera. I also felt that her apology for the lack of empathy was a bit reaching and contrived--it was as if the writers were trying to scream, "Asperger's!" instead of relying strictly on observable behavior and "natural" dialogue. If they had left it alone at just asking him if he wanted a glass of water, that would have been enough. Less is more.

Interesting. I agree on both issues. Have you seen the original? It's on YouTube and it's very good. They have the scene with changing in the office, but it was not exploitative and it was an empty office at 4am. Her boss is there but stays nothing. He has long hair and the general counter cultural look that in Europe would automatically mean he would not care very much about nudity.

Speaking of which, and on the exploitation front, the original has some scenes of a male actor getting dressed that expose much more than anything in the US show.

Also, the eye contact issue is more that she stares, which works better in her job. There is no moment when her boss says "make eye contact" and no moment when she says " sorry if I didn't use empathy" -- which did seem really off in the US version.

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jul 2013, 9:29 am

I DVRed it and watched it last night. My partner watched it with me and kept poking me throughout the scene with the judge's husband saying "That's you!"
I asked her this morning "So, you really thought the woman on that show acts like me?" She chuckled and said "YES!" So, I'd say Alex is doing a good job.

I've been thinking about how some people commented that they should just use a actor with AS but actors have to overplay their characters quirks to a certain degree to make sure the audience catches it. I think it would actually be hard for an actor with AS to actually do that because I think it's hard for us to see ourselves. I didn't really catch what was so different about her other than a couple times but the AS seemed much more evident to my partner. How does a director tell an actual Aspie to play up or play down certain traits when it's inherent to who they are and they may not actually have any control over it? It's like casting someone with an actual cold to play someone with a cold and then telling them to sneeze a little more or a little less.

*Spoiler Alert*
I think her driving is out of character. I would think she'd drive carefully and under the speed limit because it's the law and the law should not be broken, just like the crime scene should not be compromised. It kept my interest enough to make me want to watch again next week. I'm curious how all the story lines tie in together. They could make more dramatic cliffhangers. The only one they nailed was the widow about to open the locked cellar door. I would have ended the car bomb scene when the timer hit 00:00 and left people hanging all week. I wasn't entirely in love with the Revolution series on NBC this year but they had wonderful cliffhangers.

IdleHands
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Jul 2013, 10:05 am

You would just leave out all and any "act like you have AS" and just let the AS actress play the role. The AS tendencies would just be there and it would be natural. After all it is not a show about Autism; it's a show about crime where a character happens to be Aspergers, no different then a character just so happening to be black or asian or gay. Part of what draws people back to certain movies and shows with certain celebrities is that part of that person that shows through the character.

Get it?

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2013, 11:12 am

I disagree that the character just happens to have AS. It's a part of the whole theme.

This is a story about differences and membership in groups with shared perspectives. It's about the inability of people to see outside of their situational points of view. The detective has a unique perspective and sees things differently than most on either side of the bridge because of her neurology. This is an integral part of the artistic vision of this thing.

amaris74
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jul 2013, 11:30 am

Tori0326 wrote:
*Spoiler Alert*
I think her driving is out of character. I would think she'd drive carefully and under the speed limit because it's the law and the law should not be broken, just like the crime scene should not be compromised.

Yes! This bugged me as well. Then again, I hardly ever drive - just don't trust myself to be in charge of such a powerful machine.

IdleHands
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Jul 2013, 12:12 pm

How can the character see things different due to her neurology if her neurology is that of a NT? You cannot simulate the internal workings of an autistic no matter how polished the external cues get rehearsed. If it was that easy we would not be so misunderstood.

I understand this is a tv show with many people acting, but I'm sorry, an autistic person would not have to try to exhibit that part of Sonya's character that makes her autistic.

Autistic people seem to be in need of opportunity, and I would be surprised if the show even considered casting an actual autistic person. It is this thinking that paints false images of who we really are.

This is what I want you to see. We have to learn to change things for ourselves.

We must rid our minds of can't.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2013, 12:47 pm

I think the show has a lot of potential to pair ability and autism, and to show that women can show empathy and still get some things messed up while being very driven and capable and getting the job done. And I love that it will pair autism with getting the job done.

I do think she can't have reached the point she has without understanding there is a high level of disapproval of her at times, and I hope they develop that aspect of the character in terms of what it is like to be so capable and at times be blocked by limitations related to her social difficulties.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2013, 3:29 pm

IdleHands wrote:
How can the character see things different due to her neurology if her neurology is that of a NT? You cannot simulate the internal workings of an autistic no matter how polished the external cues get rehearsed. If it was that easy we would not be so misunderstood.

I understand this is a tv show with many people acting, but I'm sorry, an autistic person would not have to try to exhibit that part of Sonya's character that makes her autistic.

Autistic people seem to be in need of opportunity, and I would be surprised if the show even considered casting an actual autistic person. It is this thinking that paints false images of who we really are.

This is what I want you to see. We have to learn to change things for ourselves.

We must rid our minds of can't.

You are confusing the character and the actor. Actors portray people who they aren't.

How would you apply this logic to the serial killer? Only real serial killers should apply for the role because they are being dishonest otherwise?

Shooting video or film is very weird--all sorts of events are shot out of sequence. The actors are not having normal sequential experiences and reacting naturally. They are surrounded by lights, sound guys, crew, cranes for the camera--all kinds of intrusive equipment, and they have to pretend not to notice. It's all fake. It may be that there are some awesome autistic actors who would do well in this environment, but "reacting naturally" is not what is needed.

You would not want to have a good autistic actor denied roles portraying NT people. Don't reverse that idea and deny a good NT actor from portraying autistic people.

IdleHands
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Jul 2013, 6:01 pm

Adamantium I agree with you. I just think an autistic is just as capable at playing an autistic and by over looking autistics and allowing ourselves to be overlooked we/they end up missing opportunities.

And yes, a serial killer would play the role better as a serial killer.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2013, 6:43 pm

Regardless whether the actress is neurotypical, that the series pairs autism and the ability to analyze and understand a great deal about people, including things someone more typical might miss, is really pretty exciting.

Has the potential to open people's minds to something other than a stereotype of autism as wordless and unable to communicate, or brilliant math/computer person who is clueless about people.

Quazar
Raven
Raven

14 Jul 2013, 2:35 am

"ensign Quazar report to the bridge" "aye sir" XD

Bliss

14 Jul 2013, 5:25 am

Waterfalls wrote:
Regardless whether the actress is neurotypical, that the series pairs autism and the ability to analyze and understand a great deal about people, including things someone more typical might miss, is really pretty exciting.

Has the potential to open people's minds to something other than a stereotype of autism as wordless and unable to communicate, or brilliant math/computer person who is clueless about people.

I agree completely.