Could aspie's form a working sub-social existence?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 11:19 pm

OK! What if one day the governments of the world decided to take every aspie on earth and round us all up and send us to a huge deserted island somewhere in the world. This island would not be cut off from the rest of the world. Trade, bartering of goods and telecommunications( ie internet) would all be allow. The only rule is, no aspies are allow off the island and no NT are allow on. That said, I would like to know if an all aspie society could form a social network that's is as efficient as an NT one? Could we from and make work an all aspie society? After all, we're all in the same boat aren't we?

OMT: In an all aspie society. Do you think we would have dance clubs for stimmers where stimmers could go out on to the dance floor and do there thing and not feel ashamed or embarrassed about it in front of other fellow aspies? After all, where all aspies, We all do it and we can all relate. Right?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 11:48 pm

You know, when it comes to aspies, I think a lot about the X-Men. In a way, we're like that - mutants, some of us with powers, most of us pass for "human," all of us are different.

I also think about the possibility of factions, too. Some of us like being aspies, some don't. This is like Charles Xavier's crew vs Magneto's crew. They're locked in a perpetual war.

An island of just us aspies could devolve into two warring factions, and with no outside interference or protectorate, we'd annihilate each other.

The island idea probably wouldn't work.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 12:13 am

If two aspies get together and make an NT baby, what happens to it?

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 1:50 am

redrobin62 wrote:
You know, when it comes to aspies, I think a lot about the X-Men. In a way, we're like that - mutants, some of us with powers, most of us pass for "human," all of us are different.

I also think about the possibility of factions, too. Some of us like being aspies, some don't. This is like Charles Xavier's crew vs Magneto's crew. They're locked in a perpetual war.

An island of just us aspies could devolve into two warring factions, and with no outside interference or protectorate, we'd annihilate each other.

The island idea probably wouldn't work.

Who knows, or even cares?

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 2:42 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
If two aspies get together and make an NT baby, what happens to it?

BBQ! :twisted: We're subhuman according to them, so it can't be cannibalism.

I don't think that island would work. (Then again, neither does society, so...)

People would get on each other's nerves with their different symptoms, functioning levels, obsessions and personalities, Some might be able to network to some degree, but a lot of us wouldn't and a lot of us wouldn't even want to. Quite a few of us can't get enough alone time and are very asocial.

Like redrobin I think we'd see factions and cliques quickly and we'd be no better off on our island than where we are now.

I wonder how many of us would rather commit suicide than be forced to leave loved ones to never return. I think I would if that scenario became real. I'd seriously consider doing something drastic and go out with a bang before they could deport me, forcing them to shoot me or similar. (Don't wanna go too graphic, but this topic triggered very negative thoughts). That's just like a nightmare come true.

Man, this one got to me :(

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 2:51 am

There are no huge deserted islands left.

Judging Aspies on this site there would be plenty of fighting going on.

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jul 2013, 5:22 am

We'd all be too busy trying to be alone to cooperate enough to get anything done.

Besides, I rely on NT's to get things done that I can't cope with (I really need my NT minions).

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

17 Jul 2013, 6:38 am

No, many people on this website are only DXed with Asperger's because they loosened the standards. It's fashionable to diagnose Asperger's nowadays while before they would have variously diagnosed a personality disorder or a mood disorder. I know a kid who was diagnosed with Asperger's simply for expressing the desire to be the next mass shooter.

People with real clinical Asperger's often cannot live independently and without full-time care. Real Asperger's is a serious disease, with a sub-average IQ. People who think Asperger's is cool probably have a few nerd traits and a high IQ, not traditional Asperger's.

I think BAP should be a diagnosis.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 7:15 am

Tyri0n wrote:
People with real clinical Asperger's often cannot live independently and without full-time care.

Sounds like this island community is not going to be Utopia then.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 10:49 am

Tyri0n wrote:
No, many people on this website are only DXed with Asperger's because they loosened the standards. It's fashionable to diagnose Asperger's nowadays while before they would have variously diagnosed a personality disorder or a mood disorder. I know a kid who was diagnosed with Asperger's simply for expressing the desire to be the next mass shooter.

People with real clinical Asperger's often cannot live independently and without full-time care. Real Asperger's is a serious disease, with a sub-average IQ. People who think Asperger's is cool probably have a few nerd traits and a high IQ, not traditional Asperger's.

Tyri0n is very right and his statement is so true. Many asperger folks who have reached adult age have trouble living on their own.
I know in New Jersey a group of parents had to get together and throw in money to buy a house and "make" a group home for their kids since the regular waiting list is so long.

On this site, many are high functioning, however in reality it is not the case. My mother knows many whose asperger children require various different services.

The standards must have been loosened or the stereotype of the genius aspergers (such as Reed on Criminal Minds) seems to be the ideal image for some folks.
I have a friend who is 33 with Aspergers, unfortunately he just moved back home to take care of his mother (his awful siblings could have yet they are taking advantage of him when he can barely care for himself). He will likely have a breakdown in a matter of time. He left to get away and had been doing better, so now i worry for him.
He has been in special help classes his whole life, yes he has his "aspie accent".

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 10:53 am

neilson_wheels wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
People with real clinical Asperger's often cannot live independently and without full-time care.

That is kind of harsh if you are saying the island isn't going to be a Utopia due to Aspies that can not live independently and need full time care.
If it were a true Utopia, you'd have higher functioning aspies taking care of lower functioning ones and everyone would have a place and feel they were part of the community.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 11:05 am

I think we are back to the spectrum concept and this also seems to be a very american centric view as well.

I am classed as high functioning, I can't work regular jobs but I can take care of my personal needs. I can not get any medical support from a system that I contribute to whether I'm working or not. I can not and do not want any government agency help.
It does not matter what diagnosis I have attached to me if there is no treatment available.

The fact is I don't care if I'm a 'real' aspie or not.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 11:12 am

Chloe33 wrote:
neilson_wheels wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

That is kind of harsh if you are saying the island isn't going to be a Utopia due to Aspies that can not live independently and need full time care.
If it were a true Utopia, you'd have higher functioning aspies taking care of lower functioning ones and everyone would have a place and feel they were part of the community.

It seems that high functioning people don't qualify for Aspie island by these criteria so who's going to do the care giving?

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 11:29 am

I think it's a mistake to think that NTs get along with NTs and aspies get along with aspies. I get along better sometimes with NTs than with other aspies. Aspies couldn't create a cohesive society, it's not their nature. Even here on wrongplanet, there isn't much of a cohesive society, it's just a place to vent.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 11:57 am

AspE wrote:
Aspies couldn't create a cohesive society, it's not their nature.

With all due respect, please put up a source for this statement.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 12:01 pm

Tyri0n wrote:

I think you're getting Aspergers and low functioning autism (LFA) mix up. Aspergers is a mild form of autism that mostly effects one's ability to socially interact.