Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Raskolnikov_k
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2013, 5:06 pm

This is becoming a serious issue for me. I've finished college 2 months ago and I am really struggling to get my first job or even just an internship. After interviews, I generally receive positive feedback concerning my technical skills... Still, all I got so far were rejections after rejections.
At home (I still live with my parents) things are not better... It feels like I have (involuntarily) built a brick-wall separating us apart. Communication between us is a real problem (there is almost no communication at all). I also feel that I am losing the few friends I made in the university.

I know that everyone feels more frustrated in some point of life. But how do you deal and overcome it? I simply keep on losing hope, motivation, and self-esteem. Whenever anything goes wrong, I just lock myself in my room for days reading books or building imaginary cities on my desk with staples and monopoly pieces.

How do I get myself out of this negativism cycle?
(Sorry for any english mistake)

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 5:13 pm

OMG, that is one of the most magnificent avatars I have ever seen.

If I get really frustrated I tend to have a meltdown. But I find that physical activity, particularly a sport like cycling or skiing is really fantastic for me to help me with frustration. It's very calming to me and helps me regroup and focus again. Also if I do a workout video that really helps me too. Listening to my favorite music in the dark and pacing and dancing to it helps me a lot too.

Best of luck with your job search. It's tough out there but hang in there, something will come.

Raskolnikov_k
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2013, 5:45 pm

I do have meltdowns as well sometimes. But they are a "temporary" reaction, at the heat of the moment. They eventually fade away. The thing is that demotivation doesn't...
Thanks for your advice...

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 5:55 pm

Raskolnikov_k wrote:
I do have meltdowns as well sometimes. But they are a "temporary" reaction, at the heat of the moment. They eventually fade away. The thing is that demotivation doesn't...
Thanks for your advice...
You are welcome.
De motivation is hard and it gets harder with each rejection. Musicians and actors go through that rejection thing a lot especially at first. But you have to believe that it will come. And two months really is not very long especially in this economy. Take it one day at a time and know that each day is a new day with new opportunities. And you may need to start with a job that is not exactly what you are looking for at first. I know I did. My first job was working in an ice cream shop. It wasn't my dream job but it got me started and I loved it and did great and the actual job experience got me other jobs. But don't think of it as a bad thing if you have to do that. Every job is honorable and any job is a good job if you don't already have one.

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2013, 8:33 pm

depending on the cause of the frustration, perhaps something else ending with ion.
It could be finding motivation, it could be racking my brain for intuition, it could be ambition, it could be deprivation.
Often it may be communication, finding a destination, or conversation.
If all else fails there's another one that begins with m, but that's a very private solo thing.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 4:15 am

When frustrated, I bear down on my special interest(s). Fortunately, this is creative activity. Even when "uninspired" I push through w/ small projects, minor goals. The point is completion. Small successes can build confidence for larger ones. Maybe rewrite resume, check grammar, tighten sentences, get something to the place where you can see a perfection originate from your hand. Then you're getting armed.

EQ: 6.

Mr_Nice
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Aug 2013, 4:32 am

I go for a run or masturbate, the two are mutually exclusive so it's one or the other for me. Edit: I'm not a prolific runner.

Last edited by Mr_Nice on 12 Aug 2013, 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 4:37 am

Mr_Nice wrote:
I go for a run or masturbate, the two are mutually exclusive so it's one or the other for me.

Running is good :wink:

Raskolnikov_k
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2013, 5:44 am

vanhalenkurtz wrote:
When frustrated, I bear down on my special interest(s). Fortunately, this is creative activity. Even when "uninspired" I push through w/ small projects, minor goals. The point is completion. Small successes can build confidence for larger ones.

I guess you are right!

doofy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 5:45 am

Quote:
I go for a run or masturbate, the two are mutually exclusive so it's one or the other for me.

Poor multi tasking skills, eh? :wink:

Mr_Nice

12 Aug 2013, 6:04 am

doofy wrote:
Quote:

Poor multi tasking skills, eh? :wink:

Yep That's how they knew for sure i had AS, The old failure to wank and run test. :D