Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

BreeBee
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Oct 2013, 9:27 pm

Hey there, I'm new to the community and wondering if anyone's in a similar situation to myself. I have borderline personality disorder and my husband has Asperger's. We've worked really hard over the past four years to learn how to communicate healthily and effectively, but have found it challenging because we seem to be on opposite sides of the emotional spectrum - I'm overly-sensitive to the moods and actions of others, and he has a hard time identifying emotions and understanding how his actions impact other people.
Anyone else in a similar situation, with one partner on the autism spectrum and the other living with a psychological disorder? What challenges do you face, and what has been helpful for you?

Schizpergers
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Oct 2013, 7:25 am

I dated a girl with PTSD for 4 years. she had a BPD dx as well but thought she was misdiagnosed.
Communication between us was very difficult and we did not understand each other well at all.
We did get along well and are still friends but we did frusterate each other a lot.
The best advice I can give is to accept you will not always understand each other.
In any relationship you have to look at the persons worst traits and decide if you can accept those qualities or not and don't expect them to change.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 7:58 am

Well, I'm no psychologist but I'm at the point where I have to accept my girlfriend is almost certainly Borderline as she ticks every single one of the boxes and I can see no other explanation for her confusing behavior and crazy mood swings. In my case I have been forced to seeking out a counselor because we simply cannot communicate. If I had my time back I probably would have just walked away the first chance I had.

I wish I had advice to get but I do not. I'm curious to see how counseling will go: maybe I will be told to just let go or maybe we can finally work things out.

Stargazer530
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Dec 2013, 9:34 pm

Husband is AS and I'm am (undiagnosed) BPD. We have always had difficulties but since having kids it has been miserable. I'm constantly trying to explain how I feel and why and wanting some type of response from him and he is constantly staring at me with a blank expression. I have begun to think things will never get better no matter how hard I try. He is still fighting the dx and trying to find some other reason for his difficulties and behavior and thought processes.