Shopping (Black Friday or in General)

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Moop
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Right here! Ya! Right behind the monitors glass! Get me out of here!

29 Nov 2013, 2:14 pm

So now that it is the day after thanksgiving, it is officially "Black Friday" despite most stores having sales for weeks that could be considered door busters, and also that many stores opened at 8 pm on thanksgiving day..

Has anyone done any holiday shopping yet? Did you buy something for yourself, or as a gift? What do you like to go shopping for, and where?

In General: I don't know why, but there are certain cleaning products I love to buy. I currently have eight bottles of Tide detergent in my laundry room and bottles of those Downy Unstoppables! I couldn't resist the sale sign at Target...

For the Holiday: Wednesday I tried to buy a Wii U because I knew the stores would be out of them by black friday. By the time I got to Target there was only one left, and snatched it. I unboxed it, set it up, cried a little (my dad had previously yelled at me to quit playing my Wii games once so he could watch TV, and called me a baby. Opening my game brought back that memory). Once I turned on the game pad, the screen on it was broken. I tried looking for them for hours between different stores on that day, and ended up just being disappointed and returning the defected console.

To cheer me up today I searched online for one, and finally found out that BestBuy.com was selling them. Now I'm over my credit limit!

Shopping and browsing catalogs and sale prices seems to give me a type of calm. Does anyone else practice "retail therapy"?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 2:20 pm

This is where being an aspie has its advantages. I can almost say with 100% certainty that no aspie was crushed as the doors opened for Black Friday sales. I just don't see the rush as something an aspie would be interested in. Now I notice there were fights at Walmarts all over the country. I can bet no aspie was harmed in those fights and none was trampled under foot.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 2:47 pm

My deals right now are at rightstuf.com

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 3:01 pm

I think there was a sale on the Chinese food I treated myself to as a celebration of being able to hold food down again. I noticed when I was paying it was almost half price. :lol:

Otherwise, I'm going to stay in... Black Friday sounds like chaos and stuff is just stuff.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 3:08 pm

:lol: So true, redrobin

Yeah, today for me is a lot like hiding in a bunker waiting for the bombs to stop falling. I really can't get into the ravenous spirit of Christmas shopping that goes on. The sales are not worth warranting such torture. I figure it best to do what I do every year, and miss seeing Americans at their worst.

Really though, I don't really enjoy buying things aside from daily necessities, and if I must, I do tons of research and then weigh if I even need it or not before going off and getting it. I might be strange but I find having more possessions stressful to manage... so I don't add them to my belongings unless important enough to me to warrant doing so.

Also, the only things I'm interested in are higher end music gear, and it rarely goes on sale ever (many such brands aren't allowed to be set on sale by the manufacturers demand to retain a high image). Keeley Electronics has a private VIP sale going on that they keep emailing me about since I have spent money with them once on a wah mod about a year ago. 20% off anything in their line is rather nice as I've wanted to get their 2 knob compressor to finish my pedal board for over a year... but I have to be saving money to move in about four months, so oh well. I'll probably just end up with it for my birthday as a gift from my father in a few months, since he doesn't do giving money as gifts. If not then, maybe I'll have the money and lack of demanding expenses next year... desire is not an urgent matter.

Moop
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Right here! Ya! Right behind the monitors glass! Get me out of here!

29 Nov 2013, 3:13 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
This is where being an aspie has its advantages. I can almost say with 100% certainty that no aspie was crushed as the doors opened for Black Friday sales. I just don't see the rush as something an aspie would be interested in. Now I notice there were fights at Walmarts all over the country. I can bet no aspie was harmed in those fights and none was trampled under foot.

I've never been to a store on Black Friday either. Never lined up all night. That's just not my thing either. I particularly enjoy shopping on Tuesday and Wednesday when there are relatively few people in the stores. Thanks to online shopping I can skip going to the store and be antisocial.

My ups driver must find it interesting all the things I order from target.com when there is a target less than 1/4 mile away from me. I could even walk there. And he makes deliveries nearly twice per week.

I used to have an amazon prime until target began offering truly free shipping on all purchases as long as you have a credit account with them. I try to avoid paying shipping on things just because I'm stubborn and don't want to leave my house.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 7:39 pm

Yeah, I don't do Black Friday, or most shopping during the holidays for that matter. I either buy online (if there's something specific I want) or compile a list of things I'd like and let my mom pick and choose from it. However, I do enjoy buying things for other people, and will brave the holiday shopping crowds for their sakes. :)

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 8:00 pm

Also, I tend to be claustrophobic in nature. Just thinking about the crush of people impeding my movements like a straight jacket is enough to keep me at bay.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 1:27 am

Those crowds on TV look terrifying. I didn't go shopping today. You couldn't pay me to shop on black Friday!

I bought a few little things to put in Christmas bags for the elderly I take care of weeks ago. And I might get a few tiny things for my mom and step dad in a few days when I get paid again. Other than that screw it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Nov 2013, 4:14 am

I never had any desire to go shopping on Black Friday but I worked at WalMart 3 Thanxgiving nights(I cleaned floors). It was pretty chaotic & stressful & got worse as the sales time got closer but most all off us overnighters got to leave before or when the sales started because there was too many people for us to do much of anything besides be in the way. I bought a chair at an office store afew years ago on Black Friday but the one I was using had gradually been getting worse it for awhile & my mom was going there anyways to look for a laptop & she saw in sales paper that the chairs would be on sale too. I would of waited & got it when the one I was using got worse otherwise. I buy most of my stuff online thou & usually get them when I need them, see a good deal or have extra money.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 8:41 am

I was going to order some tea for 40% off, but I forgot. :cry:

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 11:49 am

No way, no how. Years ago, I worked in retail and saw some crazy things on Black Friday. My last apartment was about a little less than a mile away from the outlet malls here in Lancaster and I used to have trouble pulling out of the driveway on Black Friday because traffic was so bad. It was primarily tourists from NY and NJ who'd drive several hours on Thanksgiving and stay in the area for a few days, primarily just to shop at our outlets, which I never understood. What kind of a holiday is that?