Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Azureth
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Apr 2014, 2:27 pm

I have owned quite a few animals and I have noticed I mimic them a lot. For example I used to own a Quaker Parrot that would make a "bur" noise (kind of hard to explain) and I would go back and forth with it making the same noise all the time. My cat makes a kind of odd "meow" that's low pitch and sounds different but I find myself mimicking it as well.

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2014, 2:35 pm

i have no idea if this is typical of aspies, but i definitely do this with any animal i've encountered. i tend to copy their vocalisms and body language when i run into an other animal of the same species, to try to set them at ease and connect.

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 2:36 pm

I think mimicry in general is a common autistic trait. I started as a child, mimicking cartoon voices I heard from the television and ended up in a career in broadcasting.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 4:15 pm

I'm fairly certain that it's a common trait among people on the spectrum. I know that I imitated animals a lot when I was younger, and that I still sometimes catch myself meowing at my cats or barking at my dogs. :P

InTheDeepEnd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Apr 2014, 4:19 pm

I do that but I didn't think about it until you asked. I know how to make the right noise to call my cat like a mother cat would and then to praise him for coming. Actually it sounds more like a "so glad to see you" sound. And I used to make the same sound my dog made when she was happy, whenever we were cuddling. She was a Lab and they make a unique booming sort of "mmmm" sound when happy. I do it to communicate with animals, not just to see if I can make the same sound.

AutisticGuy1981
Toucan
Toucan

02 Apr 2014, 4:25 pm

It's not something I ever find my self doing.

Liblady
Raven
Raven

02 Apr 2014, 4:43 pm

At the zoo, I communicate with the cougars by mimicking a chuffing sound they seem to make when they want to be friendly as well as purring. I also communicate with my own cats a lot through purrs, meows, and nonverbal behaviors such as headbutting (my manx cat laves the latter token of mutual affection). At the zoo and sometimes the pet store, I sometimes mimic the movements of the parrots. When I do it out in the public, the men in white will probably come to get me one day, but animals love someone who's not too self-conscious and proper to communicate with them in their language.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 4:58 pm

I've mimicked animal noises all my life. Everything from cows to dogs. My cat "meow" drives dogs mad... running around looking for a cat. :twisted: Now I have chickens I mimic them too and have mastered half a dozen chicken sounds, they seem to like it too and respond all the more to me. I have no idea what the conversation is about, but they seem to like it.
When my dog wants to go for a walk he sometimes whimpers and I whimper back at him... that sometimes gets him annoyed because he knows I'm taking the piss then he barks at me. :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 5:30 pm

I am known as the Wolfman at work. I howl in the halls. I meow in my cubicle. I've been on my job 33 years.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 5:42 pm

I have no idea if it's a spectrum related thing, but I've always mimicked animals. They seem to like it too, so I figure why not. It's like attempting their language. When I'm hanging out with a goose colony and a dog is approaching, I do the geese's warning grunt and they actually start heeding it and echoing it back! It's fun to know you actually got a sound right.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 8:49 pm

I tend to mimic personalities and mannurisms in order to try and better myself in adapting to social surroundings and sometimes I mimic sound effects and animals its a habit of mine. It sometimes triggers my eccolalia as well.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 12:19 am

I don't know if this is an Aspie trait or not either but when I had cats growing up I loved mimicking their sounds.

Wreck It Ralph

NicholasName
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Apr 2014, 8:19 am

I'm pretty sure it's no different from regular echolalia. My mom (also an Aspie) and I do it all the time. We also mimic machine noises, me moreso than her. We had this portable air conditioner that made a hilariously bizarre chime/beep noise when you turned it on or off, and it would have been downright painful to resist mimicking it. It was just such a happy noise.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 8:36 am

I speak Catonese. My kitty probably considers me to be echolalic. Always mimicked animals. I think all children do it, we just don't outgrow it.

thymps
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2014, 10:03 am

Yeah I do mimic animals a lot, especially birds, and I have to force myself not to around people who don't know I'm an aspie :roll: But when I'm at home I can do it as much as I like which is great, especially considering we have a bird that I mimic and he does it right back, it's like having a tiny friend who likes mimicking as much as you do :D

Also with my family once I imitated some otters in a zoo and they kept following me round their enclosure making sounds at me, and people noticed them following me which was quite funny.

kaiouti
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Apr 2014, 1:37 am

Monkey See Monkey Do, I think everyone does it