Benefits of official diagnosis in employment or financial?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

jeeveser
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 May 2014, 7:21 pm

Hello,
I'm new to this group and I have a friend who is underemployed and is currently not working in his field of training. Would it be beneficial for him to get an official diagnosis of Asperger's? Is there any financial assistance he could obtain with an official diagnosis? What about job opportunities… if he had an official diagnosis, are their jobs available for those people?

I'm new to this situation (not new to Asperger's as I know a lot about it and I have suspected for years I myself am a mild Aspie) but the employment issue and the benefits of an official diagnosis are not something I've had to deal with before. I want to get as much information as I can to help my friend.

Thank you for any help.

GreyMatter
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 May 2014, 7:42 pm

The question is impossible to answer without knowing where you are from. Some countries do have special programmes and welfare services for people on the spectrum. In my country, the state can help subsidies the cost for employers hiring persons with AS. That said, most employers still do not want to hire us. In some countries with strong unions, the union rep might be able to help if it's a matter of discrimination in terms of pay; and in some countries there really aren't any such support systems.

Also, if he isn't diagnosed, he doesn't have Aspergers. If he has actual problems in his daily life which might stem from neurological problems, he should pursue an investigation regardless. If there are no problems, there is no reason to get a diagnosis. There might be other reasons why he is underemployed.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 2:20 am

In the USA, there is no real support structure for many disabled people...especially autism...if you were diagnosed as an adult.

Most Americans with advanced degrees are working outside of their degree field. Any job they can get is gold right now. It's been that way for some time now.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 9:33 am

In the US, there no real use in disclosing you have autism, Asperger's, whatever. Sometimes, you can't even disclose that you have a cold. :cry:

GCAspies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 May 2014, 4:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
In the US, there no real use in disclosing you have autism, Asperger's, whatever. Sometimes, you can't even disclose that you have a cold. :cry:

I respect your opinion, but will disagree with you. I disclosed having autism at both of my interviews at my future company. After I said that, my comment was, "I don't want to be seen as someone who lives with autism daily; I want to be seen as a valuable member of the team." I was hired by that company Tuesday last week and start my new position June 4th.

I think if a company perceives you are likable and can help solve the pain it is facing, having autism is irrelevant.

The mission of GCA Centre for Adult Autism:
"Empowering the lives of autistic adults and young adults and their parents/caregivers by serving as a resource center to provide mutual support, information, and activities" in the Southeast USA
http://www.gcaspies.org

2nd Annual Southeast Adult Autism Symposium
- Early Bird online registration starts in late March 2018
- More information can be found at http://www.gcaspies.org/symposiumhomepage

jeeveser
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 May 2014, 10:15 am

Thank you for your responses and insight. It is appreciated.