28% of murderers thought to have suffered from ASD

Page 17 of 19 [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 7:25 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
If you’re interested in forensic psychology, you should research mass murderers more.

Most of them seemed, to me, to be opposites of those with ASD.

Ted Bundy, Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, etc., were proficient social beings.

I agree, it's just that most serial killers have very high IQ, and there is a stereotype that having very high IQ is a symptom of Asperger Syndrome, and it's the problem with the media. I think it's more accurate to say that they have Savant Syndrome.

I did a research and found out that most serial killers have very high IQ.

But, another problem is that some of those serial killers have more intact social skills, but have Autism. I am mainly talking about PDD-NOS. It's common for most people with PDD-NOS to have more intact social skills than other people with PDD.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 7:37 am

PDD-NOS can also be found in people who are profoundly intellectually disabled. All PDD-NOS means is that the full criteria for autism is not met in a person.

Autism of the Asperger's type, before the DSM-V, had become, in some sense, sort of a "catchall" diagnosis in a similar manner to how "minimal brain dysfunction" became a "catchall" diagnosis in the 1960s. Anybody who was "odd" and had high intellectual ability would probably have been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in the 1990s.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 7:38 am

So we are the same as murderers? I don't want to share a spectrum with such monsters. FranzOren why can't you research this elsewhere, as it's triggering my hatred of autism?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 7:42 am

It should be obvious to anyone with a decent amount of intelligence and common sense-----that being on the Spectrum does not equate to being a murderer.

Can you see Raymond Babbitt, Rain Man, murdering somebody?

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 7:46 am

You guys clearly don't understand what I am saying.

Some people with ASD that happened to be victimized happened to have psychopathy, but most people with ASD who are victimized are more likely to be suicidal than being anger at the world.

There is a strong link between having ASD and being victimized more than the general population, and some of those people with ASD are prone to revenge.

When did I ever say that all people with ASD are like that?

I said that some people with ASD happened to be psychopathic from being victimized for a long time.

I did a research that most people with ASD are more likely to be victims than being perpetrators. I am not that type of a person that generalizes ASD as being all the same.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 7:52 am

Can you imagine the murder rate if everybody who has been victimized in life decided to exact revenge in a murderous way?

I don't feel autistic people who have been victimized have any more predilection towards murdering someone for revenge than neurotypical folks.

People who develop elaborate revenge fantasies based upon being victimized have a pathology that's way beyond autism.

People who go out and decide to murder people because they've been victimized----are also pathological beyond anything having to with autism.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 7:55 am

Anomaly_76 wrote:
I call BS on ASD being a factor. Abuse, bullying, shaming and other general mistreatment due to ignorance on the part of NTs is a much more likely factor (where ASD is present in a murderer, anyway).

All of which I have endured, and I've never committed or been charged with anything worse than a traffic ticket.

Since, this is the cause. It can definitely be a factor on some people with ASD.

There is a strong link between having ASD and being victimized more than the general population, leading small subset of people with ASD be psychopathic, while the vast of majority of people with ASD are more prone to suicide.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 7:57 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Can you imagine the murder rate if everybody who has been victimized in life decided to exact revenge in a murderous way?

I don't feel autistic people who have been victimized have any more predilection towards murdering someone for revenge than neurotypical folks.

People who develop elaborate revenge fantasies based upon being victimized have a pathology that's way beyond autism.

People who go out and decide to murder people because they've been victimized----are also pathological beyond anything having to with autism.

I am talking about the ones who fit both diagnostic criteria for Antisocial Personality Disorder and Autism. It is considered rare for Antisocial Personality Disorder to be co-morbid to have ASD, because numerous studies point out that most people with ASD are more likely to be victims than being perpetrators.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 8:01 am

This predilection towards murder goes for autistic people diagnosed with Antisocial Personality disorder.....equally with a non-autistic person diagnosed with Antisocial Personality Disorder.

Having autism and Antisocial Personality Disorder does not increase the potential for murder over a non-autistic person with Antisocial Personality Disorder. Even if members of either group have been victimized.

What we should wary of: is the Antisocial Personality Disorder, rather than the Autism.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 8:08 am

Joe90 wrote:
So we are the same as murderers? I don't want to share a spectrum with such monsters. FranzOren why can't you research this elsewhere, as it's triggering my hatred of autism?

Just because some psychopaths happened to have ASD, that does not mean we are all psychopaths waiting to happen. I pointed out that most people with ASD are more likely to be victims than being perpetrators.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 8:21 am

Anomaly_76 wrote:
I call BS on ASD being a factor. Abuse, bullying, shaming and other general mistreatment due to ignorance on the part of NTs is a much more likely factor (where ASD is present in a murderer, anyway).

All of which I have endured, and I've never committed or been charged with anything worse than a traffic ticket.

I was very confused by this statement and thought that since this is the case, because there is a link between having ASD and being victimized more than the general population.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 8:33 am

FranzOren wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Just because some psychopaths happened to have ASD, that does not mean we are all psychopaths waiting to happen. I pointed out that most people with ASD are more likely to be victims than being perpetrators.

It's just that in one of your posts it seemed like you were comparing autism to murderous psychopaths, and that high IQ is a symptom of both autism and psychopathy.

So many evil people are supposed to be autistic too though, for example Putin. :roll:
I thought mental health issues had more stigma than autism, I know mental health issues can go with autism but I still didn't think people correlated autism with evilness. Schizophrenia has probably more stigma than autism, surely?

And if the reasons for autistic people to murder is because of past abuse and bullies, then shouldn't that teach NTs not to bully us?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 8:36 am

I don't see too many instances when Putin is alleged to have autism. Those who do allege that he has autism....really have no idea about the nature of autism.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 8:45 am

Joe90 wrote:
FranzOren wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

It's just that in one of your posts it seemed like you were comparing autism to murderous psychopaths, and that high IQ is a symptom of both autism and psychopathy.

So many evil people are supposed to be autistic too though, for example Putin. :roll:
I thought mental health issues had more stigma than autism, I know mental health issues can go with autism but I still didn't think people correlated autism with evilness. Schizophrenia has probably more stigma than autism, surely?

And if the reasons for autistic people to murder is because of past abuse and bullies, then shouldn't that teach NTs not to bully us?

I was pointing out the issues with the media that compares very high IQ with Asperger Syndrome.

People who constantly bully us are not neurotypicals, they have conduct and Antisocial Personality Disorder.

I don't think a person with without psychopathy would bully us more than psychopaths.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 9:33 am

Regarding bugs and such:

I kinda just use a cut in half water bottle and a piece of paper to "rescue" the various insects or arachnids in my home and release them outside as I feel bad for hurting them. :| Though, I have empathy for other humans more so. Probably too much, but people probably won't see that one. It's kinda why some things affect me when things of similar severity don't and why I'll get so upset when hurting others regardless of how slight (not that anyone will know that one either as I internalize most things, so appearances are deceiving).

I'm far too soft, even though people that know me personally, consider me hard, but that's simply due to life events and I don't show things, not because I want to hide it out of shame or anything, but I don't want others to feel upset when they see me as such.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 9:53 am

Quote:
People who constantly bully us are not neurotypicals, they have conduct and Antisocial Personality Disorder.

I don't think a person with without psychopathy would bully us more than psychopaths.

Depends on what kind of bullying you mean. Surely half the students at my high school couldn't have all had APD or been non-neurotypicals. They just didn't have the empathy to care about me or to understand how it feels to be me.

Not all bullying means violence. I suffered a lot of victimising and emotional bullying. The bullies that bullied me in my late teens were mixed up teenagers that grew up in foster homes and were angry. I wouldn't even call them psychopaths or APD, they were just unstable due to upbringing issues (otherwise known as extreme "chavs").

If all bullies had APD or were psychopaths then most schools wouldn't have hardly any bullying.