Terrible parenting tragedy in Poland

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 1:18 pm

I'm not a parent, and i never would be parent, besides what I would be the father, having Asperger's syndrome.

Now all of our Polish news channels, provide information about the terrible tragedy that occurred in a Polish city.

A father, like many Poles was driving to work this morning, he also had to transport his daughter to training, he went to work where he worked for eight hours, he returned to the car and found his daughter dead, he forgot that he had her brought to the kindergarten , because when I drove in the morning she fell asleep in the car, he forgot about her, and Poland recently hit a heat wave. The guy had a reputation as a very good and caring father. It has now been admitted for observations to a psychiatric hospital, the doctor from ambulance which was called to try save girl, recommended that, the doctor was afraid that he would try to commit suicide.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 1:54 pm

This is terribly sad.

It happens everywhere and more often than one would like to think. The temperature in a car can rise so quickly it can happen in much less time.
I have noticed this kind of lapse/mistake cause often. Something interferes with the responsible parent's routine, and they go on about their business on autopilot, thinking that the kid is safe, just the way the kid is always safe. Somewhere else.

I suspect stress and sleep deprivation are contributing factors in many of these tragic situations. I find these accounts very upsetting.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 2:24 pm

Yet another reason why civilized society should be dismantled: so parents can go back to caring for their children properly, rather than renting temporary parenting duties to strangers for half the day as part of a mindless morning routine.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 3:03 pm

starkid wrote:
Yet another reason why civilized society should be dismantled: so parents can go back to caring for their children properly, rather than renting temporary parenting duties to strangers for half the day as part of a mindless morning routine.

The doctor said that if not for the heat wave that hit Poland, the girl could have been saved. Unfortunately, today the maximum temerature at least in my province reached an 34 C.

What, moreover, is not bad because last summer exceeded in some areas as high as 40 C.
I do not know where the temperature spikes are in my country. TV journalist said that the ambulance was also called upon dozens of times today to elderly who fainted or got a heart attack because of the heat. Some eco freak, of course, have to say that it is by global warming, but he was an ecologist, he would not be a true environmentalist would not waffled about global warming. for some global warming is almost religion,

zette
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 3:34 pm

There was a very public case in the US a few years back where the same thing happened to a woman who was either a school principal or superintendent (I forget her exact title.) A terrible, terrible tragedy.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 5:11 pm

How awful. I remember another similar case, in the US, I think. The father didn't usually take his child to nursery, but his wife couldn't do it that day for some reason. The child fell asleep in the baby seat in the back of the car, he forgot the child was there, and ended up following his usual morning routine, and went straight to work instead of going via the nursery. Child died in hot car. Horrible. At that time there was something about changing the design of child car seats as the car seat faced backwards so even if he glanced back it wasn't obvious that the child was there.

No wonder the father is in a psychiatric hospital. What a terrible thing to have to live with.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 9:47 pm

Reading that Washington Post article about parents forgetting their kids in the car really made me worry doing it to my own child. But that is a good thing because then that would mean it would be less likely it will happen to me because I would be making sure my kid is with me. The article said parents who have left their kids in the car to die were also the ones who thought it will never happen to them. But the truth is, it can happen to anyone and it does happen to good parents and even processionals have done it. My mom has nearly done it and she was a nurse.

What I find strange is a kindergartener not knowing how to open a car door. I knew how to open car doors at five years old so if I were to be in a hot car, I would have just got out of it because it got too hot in there.Unless the car seat kept her from opening the car door. Back when I was five, we didn't sit in booster seats or car seats. Only smaller kids did and I hadn't been in one since three years of age which was one of those things you sit in and the thing goes over your lap and the shoulder belt goes over it. Now those seats are long gone, no longer made and they barely kept the child safe anyway.

I think parents unintentionally leaving kids in cars happens more often than we think and I bet lot of those times they survive and the parent is too embarrassed to say anything about it because they fear being judged. It's unfortunate not all parents realize they have their kid with them before it's too late and I am sure not all cases of a child dying in the car goes reported in the media.

Great to see parents here understanding of the situation than being all smug about it like I have seen on other places.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 1:55 am

Marcia wrote:
How awful. I remember another similar case, in the US, I think. The father didn't usually take his child to nursery, but his wife couldn't do it that day for some reason. The child fell asleep in the baby seat in the back of the car, he forgot the child was there, and ended up following his usual morning routine, and went straight to work instead of going via the nursery. Child died in hot car. Horrible. At that time there was something about changing the design of child car seats as the car seat faced backwards so even if he glanced back it wasn't obvious that the child was there.

No wonder the father is in a psychiatric hospital. What a terrible thing to have to live with.

This poor guy is so shocked that he had lost the ability to speak. Police and prosecutors are waiting until it is in better shape to be able to question him. Although the prosecutor says that maybe they will not press charges for neglect their parental duties , because the death of a child is a punishment in itself, and he had a good reputation as a parent.

Eureka-C
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 7:20 am

I am such a routine driven person that I could imagine this happening to me, so when my kids were little, I made it part of my routine to open the back door and look at their car seats after I got to work, just in case I ever forgot. It worked well for me, just like checking the door to be sure it is locked, or checking the stove to be sure it is off.

One time, when my children were 4 and 5 and I was driving them to daycare, there was a detour which took me right by my path I took to work and they were so quiet, my mind wandered through the events planned for the day and I followed the path to work and was halfway there when my daughter spoke up and said "Are we going to work with you today."

In Texas, the heat is so bad that a child or pet left in the car can quickly become a tragedy. It happens so often that most of the time, unless there is a death, it is not even reported on the news.

I have both a personal and professional interest in ASD's. www.CrawfordPsychology.com

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 7:52 am

http://www.ggweather.com/heat/

This tragedy can happen at much lower temperatures:

Eureka-C
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 7:55 am

Adamantium wrote:
http://www.ggweather.com/heat/

This tragedy can happen at much lower temperatures:

good point

I have both a personal and professional interest in ASD's. www.CrawfordPsychology.com

Eureka-C
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 8:00 am

Here is what I mean about Texas though. It is horrible and these are just the deaths. It does not include all the children who survived.

[img][800:812]http://www.ggweather.com/heat/state_totals.jpg[/img]

Taken from http://www.ggweather.com/heat/

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2014, 9:42 am

Adamantium wrote:
This is terribly sad.

It happens everywhere and more often than one would like to think. The temperature in a car can rise so quickly it can happen in much less time.
I have noticed this kind of lapse/mistake cause often. Something interferes with the responsible parent's routine, and they go on about their business on autopilot, thinking that the kid is safe, just the way the kid is always safe. Somewhere else.

I suspect stress and sleep deprivation are contributing factors in many of these tragic situations. I find these accounts very upsetting.

Changes in long-established routines seem to be commonplace in such cases as well.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2014, 9:42 am

Adamantium wrote:
This is terribly sad.

Changes in long-established routines seem to be commonplace in such cases as well.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2014, 9:54 am

I was in Montana and I drove over to Target while my husband walked with my son all the way down to the store and I parked and went inside. My husband and son had just arrive at the same time I did and we both went inside and he asks "Where's Mary-Beth?" I go "oh shute" and bolt out the doors and across the parking lot and she was still soundly asleep in her carrier as if nothing happened and it was about 90 degrees outside. She wasn't over heated or hurt and she looked normal like nothing happened. Good thing my husband said something or who knows how much longer she would have been in that car before I realized. He said I was just distracted and I decided to keep my darn purse in the back seat at all times whenever I have her but I was in such a rush I just tossed it in the front seat of my car and moved it across the parking lot and got out. I usually keep it back there but not this time. Luckily no one said anything and it was embarrassing. Now I have some worries I will have a brain fart again and do it again and not be lucky next time. My husband didn't think it was a big deal but I did.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2014, 12:03 pm

The possibility of this was driving me so insane that I used to call my husband EVERY DAY to make sure he dropped the kids off. He was dropping them off because I literally didn't trust my flaky brain to do the job right. Then... we purposely bought a house within walking distance of a really really good daycare/pre school. It's literally 100 feet from our house. No more worries because we never ever drive there.

I'm serious. I'm a super flake myself and that's what hot car death IS- it's a flake out of epic proportions. Moving into the new house removed so much stress...