Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do people ever call you a child, in a way that puts you down?
Yes 62%  62%  [ 28 ]
No 24%  24%  [ 11 ]
Other 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 45

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 3:34 pm

I originally posted about this in the Members Only forum but didn't get any responses so I decided to delete that post and put a similar one here instead -- and made it a poll.

Do people ever call you a child, or compare you to a child in a way that puts you down? For example, calling you a child when you can't do something they want you to do and they are mad at you? Or in the context of ranting at you and telling you that you don't understand things?

I hate it when this is done to me.

Love transcends all.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 4:02 pm

am treated exactly like a child by the community as they dont seem to grasp the idea of an intelectualy disabled adult having an adults brain and not a childs brain just because am functioning at a childs level.
they woud soon be respectful if they needed help with their general computer problems though.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 4:16 pm

I don't feel I am being treated as a child, more as a teenager - which I don't mind because I consider myself a teenager as well.
But there is one person that pisses me off. My father. He often says "You are 26 year old, act like one!". That hurts because I would also like to get a job, move out and start a family as my peers do but I just can't make it happen. I try but I am way behind them. I am painfully aware of that.
And also, I am 25, not 26. I am a 25 year old girl that feels like a 17 but is called 26 by this lier. I wish he could at least use my proper age, not make me older so I feel even more delayed.

bguimaraes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2014, 4:23 pm

I'll be 20 this year, but my hobbies.. I still collecting mini cars, watching cartoons, I was so sad growing up, because I didn't want to leave the childhood behind. I'm not a kid anymore, but my family thinks I can't deal with some things, I can't survive outside, that people can easily fool me just because I appreciate the same things when I was a kid some people can think you still have the same mentality.
But I don't think the same way, I don't think our hobbies or tastes, define our mindset.
What matters is what makes you happy, right?!

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 4:35 pm

Kiriae wrote:
I don't feel I am being treated as a child, more as a teenager - which I don't mind because I consider myself a teenager as well.
But there is one person that pisses me off. My father. He often says "You are 26 year old, act like one!". That hurts because I would also like to get a job, move out and start a family as my peers do but I just can't make it happen. I try but I am way behind them. I am painfully aware of that.
And also, I am 25, not 26. I am a 25 year old girl that feels like a 17 but is called 26 by this lier. I wish he could at least use my proper age, not make me older so I feel even more delayed.

how come he doesnt know are 25? :?:

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 4:45 pm

Have been called a big child many times and to be honest at times I am a big child.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 4:58 pm

Only one who does is my husband but he does it in a playful way. He isn't doing it to put me down. It's not like what my ex boyfriend did when he did it.

Sometimes my mom treats me like a child and she told me I make illogical choices because I don't think things through when I told her I feel she is treating me like a kid.

I don't know how many times I got in my childhood "You are (insert age here) not a (insert age here I was acting) so act like a (insert my chronicle age here)" and honestly that was never helpful. I never knew I wasn't being my age. All that did was it made me stressed out and not knowing how I was supposed to act because I didn't know was 6th grade behavior was. All it did was it made me feel stressed about growing up and getting older. My mom stopped doing it when I was in 6th grade finally. I don't think she knew any better and then she did so she stopped.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 7:07 pm

Yes, quite often really.

I'm sure it's done even more so behind my back or non-verbally, probably because others may fear I would physically harm them if I found out.

This is directly related to the brain aging thread.

If you have an intellectual age closer to 200, but an emotional age of 10 or less, then it stands to reason that "normal" people have problems dealing with it.

When they sense whatever type of immaturity you have, they would use that information to place themselves in a superior position of hierarchy. The hive-mind software running in their brains also wants them to pressure you to become more like them. They get a chemical reward in the brain for doing so.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 10:54 pm

I am too reminded of my chronological age quite often and how I am suppost to act in "X" way. I find it perplexing how people expect me to be an adult yet often choose not to treat me as one of grant me the rights and freedoms of one. I don't understand how I can be expected to work full time yet live by the same rules of a typical 14 year old. I am a kid at heart though, some my toy cars have just become real ones over time. kind of a weird situation to be in as people don't know what to make of me.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 1:11 am

I don't really mind when I'm being called a child, most likely by my father (at 41, that's something). I try not to serve a basis for it, though. I always try to improve on my life skills, but I can't just abandone some of my attractions to younger-age interests and manners. Last Saturday I gleefully joined a foam party at a holiday resort, for example. And yes, leaving childhood was a pain for me, I clearly remember how sad and mournful I was back then. I guess I'll have to work on that one.

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

15 Aug 2014, 1:27 am

I wasn't called a child but I was treated like a small kid at my secondary school compared to my peers because of my disabilities as I attended a mainstream school. The school would pretty much make my own decisions for me and saw me as someone who needed constant attention and watch (especially by my head of year and the assistant headteacher), which I hated. During my secondary school years I'd wanted to be treated like my peers and not be seen as a small and helpless child who needed constant care, and there was only a handful of teachers there who did treat me like I was a young adult.

When I stayed at the boarding school for deaf students for a three day trial which I will be going to in less then two weeks, I was treated like an adult and the same as my peers. That was lovely, really fantastic and I'd never felt so understood before.

I have been mistaken for a eleven/twelve year old because of my childish face features and small height (I'm only 4"10! :lol: ) and so get seen as a little kid by most strangers. My older cousins are protective of me and I'm very close with them. They sometimes treat me like a child and try to guide me when they think something's about to go wrong for me. I guess I'm going to stay young and small in their minds. :lol:

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 3:22 am

Not when my hairs are getting grey and my chest is furrier than most men's faces. No, they tolerate it when I'm eccentric because I'm an old fart anyways.

VioletShadows
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2014, 4:05 am

It happens a lot to me, even with my school friends. I don't know why, they don't listen to me or take my advice seriously.

Aspie and proud- most of the time.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 6:13 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Kiriae wrote:

how come he doesnt know are 25? :?:

I am from end of year. He counts only the year age (2014-1988=26), not including the month. Therefore in his opinion I am getting a year older 1st of January every year despite the fact there is still about 11 months till my actual birthday.
It was always a problem in school as well. I was not only ret*d socially but also the youngest or almost youngest one in my class. It was worst in 2nd grade of high school. Everyone was turning 18 one by one and doing their drive exams and I was still 17 so I couldn't. I had to wait till 3rd grade and do it alone, with people year younger, but in 3rd grade we had mature exams so I had to focus at studying and had no time to learn driving. So I got my driving license at 1st grade of university, 2 years later than my classmates despite being only a few months younger than most of them.

P192
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2014, 7:25 am

I don't have an ASD but I completely feel everyone's frustration with being called a "kid". I don't mind it when people mean it in an endearing way, like "aww you're so sweet" but when people talk condescending to me I get really agitated. Like for f**k's sake, just because I don't feel like acting completely mature all day long doesn't mean I'm incapable of understanding things, especially given I'm a Dean's List student.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 7:44 am

It happens to me sometimes but I don't mind because the reality is that in many ways I am a child so it's actually true. But it hurts when people say it specifically to pull me down because they know my condition. But I know that it is frustrating for them sometimes for me to have this issue so I guess it's kind of fair.

Wreck It Ralph