can a 5' 6 guy still be attractive?

Page 2 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

RyanLewty
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Dec 2014, 8:41 pm

Scientifically and (evolutionarily) speaking, women aren't actually primarily attracted to a man's physical appearance.

They are generally much more concerned with a mans 'social status' and the socially attractive personality traits he displays.

So you can be an average or shorter man, and as long as you do (or learn to) project socially confident and 'high self esteem' social signals in a way that other people can pick up on, then you really can attract women regardless of how beautiful they are.

I hope this helps :)
I run a blog where I talk about this sort of stuff, feel free to check it out succeedingsociallyaspie.com

CynicalWaffle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Dec 2014, 9:39 pm

^Haha, if only that were true.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 9:41 pm

Resources.
Money makes men sexy!!

RyanLewty
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Dec 2014, 9:43 pm

It is absolutely true CynicalWaffle!

Science! :D

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 10:05 pm

Ideally, you would establish "alpha male" status by not only pointing out holes in other guys' assertions, but also show respect for the the ideas and opinions of women. Far too often, guys don't actually listen to women. Or, when they do, they discount their opinions.

For instance, how would a guy know whether Tom Cruise is attractive or not? Best I can do is read accounts of what women think of him. Or, I suppose I could make a deduction from the roles he plays in movies. In Top Gun he plays the hero who gets the girl. A big budget movie with fighter planes for the guys to watch.

RyanLewty
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Dec 2014, 10:08 pm

NT's judge social attractiveness and status based on a 'social consensus'.

If other people treat you like your attractive, then new people will fall into the same behaviours.

Just like if others dismiss you, it becomes easier for new people to do the same.

So the key is to break that cycle with nonverbal communication cues and verbal techniques which communicate 'alpha' status :)

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2014, 1:47 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I was doing mental count for a while of short male acquaintances (who are as my height or little taller/shorter) and their relationship status. I've also once spent a boring evening recalling all the short dudes from school/university and checking their Fb page/photos.

Most are chronically single, with apparently no to little relationship exp in their past (no couple photo on their FB ever, it's very unlikely for a guy these days to not put at least one photo of him with his gf), I only know 4 exceptions: My math teacher at school who was really short and whom his wife was significantly taller than him, my former supervisor who married late (in 40s) and his wife is 15 years younger than him, another example is a senior man in his 60s who claims he was a ladies-man and he's now with a Chinese wife who's less than half his age, there's also a really short guy (shorter than me) who was an university colleague, he was very extrovert and he did have a girlfriend who dumped him not because of height, he's married now to a veiled lady (which makes me automatically assume it is one of those arranged marriage because this how veiled girls usually get married).

One thing which stood out to me is that your "exceptions" are all married. Rather than dating...

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 11:25 am

RyanLewty wrote:

If other people treat you like your attractive, then new people will fall into the same behaviours.

Just like if others dismiss you, it becomes easier for new people to do the same.

So the key is to break that cycle with nonverbal communication cues and verbal techniques which communicate 'alpha' status :)

Personally, I have always rejected this social hierarchy stuff. It takes way too much thought, effort and skill (i.e. manipulation, deceit, etc.). It’s so much simpler to just be yourself. And, much more genuine.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 12:37 pm

RyanLewty wrote:

And the 'social consensus', especially the womensphere's social consensus says that the woman should date a man taller than herself, this is mainly why many women feel awkward when they date a shorter man in public, this was even expressed by some women here on this board as well. So see, you have contradicted your previous point.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 1:13 pm

Google short male celebrities, actors, etc. That should answer your question.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 2:24 pm

I'm feeling hot just by the thought of hugging my 6'2 guy tomorrow. :oops:
Such a nice and big body that I can totally feel safe with and melt into. Damn :oops:

But I would have sure felt the same is he was inches shorter.

RyanLewty
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Dec 2014, 7:35 pm

Quote:
Personally, I have always rejected this social hierarchy stuff. It takes way too much thought, effort and skill (i.e. manipulation, deceit, etc.). It’s so much simpler to just be yourself. And, much more genuine.

I believe we actually agree, but are coming to the same conclusion differently.

IMO the social hierarchy is inherent in all human interactions, but it doesn't mean that you have to be manipulative or deceiving to achieve high status.

In fact the easiest and most effective way is to display social confidence and emotional vulnerability - which in a nutshell is being willing to be yourself, and as you said, act in a completely genuine way.

This says 'I am who I am, and I accept that. If you accept that then great, if not I am OK with that'.
Says that you are grounded and comfortable in your own skin = high status.

RyanLewty
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Dec 2014, 7:45 pm

Quote:
And the 'social consensus', especially the womensphere's social consensus says that the woman should date a man taller than herself, this is mainly why many women feel awkward when they date a shorter man in public, this was even expressed by some women here on this board as well. So see, you have contradicted your previous point.

I understand what you are saying, but I do not agree that I have contradicted myself - I will aim to clarify now.

It is true that many women do have a slight preference for dating men taller than themselves, but it sits far down the list of the 'social consensus's' priorities.

In other words, just because you are short doesn't mean you are going to have difficulty finding women to date. If you take care to communicate other attractive traits then this will override most women's desire for a taller man.

Taller = strong and capable (in a evolutionary sense). Communicate that you are strong and capable through socially observable confident and 'high status' behaviours and you will be achieving the same affect you would if you were 6"6.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 10:06 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_attractiveness

Women, on average, tend to be more attracted to men who have a relatively narrow waist, a V-shaped torso, and broad shoulders.

I'm actually lucky enough to have these attributes, even though I'm just 5' 2" tall. Because I do a lot of recreational gardening to stay in shape, I actually look good in shorts and tight fitting clothes. I can saw wood faster than those cute little electric chain saws. :)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 3:03 am

RyanLewty wrote:
Quote:

I understand what you are saying, but I do not agree that I have contradicted myself - I will aim to clarify now.

It is true that many women do have a slight preference for dating men taller than themselves, but it sits far down the list of the 'social consensus's' priorities.

In other words, just because you are short doesn't mean you are going to have difficulty finding women to date. If you take care to communicate other attractive traits then this will override most women's desire for a taller man.

Taller = strong and capable (in a evolutionary sense). Communicate that you are strong and capable through socially observable confident and 'high status' behaviours and you will be achieving the same affect you would if you were 6"6.

You are succumbed into the myth that women aren't visual, you're wrong, women are very visual. Also many like Cafe feels safe with tall men, it is anecdotal but it's something you see a lot..

And I am talking this out of real experience, I am 5'3 myself last time I checked, and for some reasons I appear "big" in pictures, women react very favorably to my pics on dating sites and often assume I am tall, and if they even notice the height info they ask me "Are you really 5'3?", often their flirty tone dwindles.

And it's not just a slight preference, be just slightly shorter than the girl and it would be most probably a dealbreaker for her.
What's even more worrying when dating a taller girl is if she's feeling awkward about it, I have seen several accounts of women (even here on WP) how they felt awkward when dating a shorter guy, they sometimes accuse the guy of having a "chip on shoulder" but they often conclude their post about something like "I am happy with my current tall bf"or "I preferred if he was taller" - at the end you conclude that the awkwardness was coming from her side too.

When I have dated taller girls (very few), they have literally avoided a walk side by side, one girl (with whom the date mean went normally well) I recall was either walking faster or slower so that we're never side by side (she walks faster, I go little faster to catch up, then she slows down ... it was laughable lol), I had no idea what was going on only after analyzing it at home: she was certainly embarrassed by the height difference. With short girls none of that weird walk way happened.

CynicalWaffle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Dec 2014, 10:03 am

I'm 5'10" and STILL get the "you're too short" from women who are 5'1" and under!