Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

superpentil
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2014, 5:55 pm

So this is my first year getting homeschooled, and more specifically, being enrolled in an online school. I must say, it is absolute garbage. The design (and by design I mean both the aesthetics and the way it works) of the website is atrocious. A 7 year old high off shrooms could've designed a better website and curriculum. The lack of efficiency is probably what bothers me the most. Everything in this takes 12 millions steps, all of which are completely unnecessary. I thought regular public school was bad, but this is 10 times worse! Those are just the beginning.

Has any one else had an experience like this, or is it just me? Using k12 by the way. This was not my idea, it was my parents.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 37 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 10:09 pm

Hmm, sounds like you ought to investigate some of the other programs and get some references from other users.

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

superpentil
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Oct 2014, 12:27 am

That's kinda out of the picture. My parents won't let me change to another program, even after a constant "nagging" (almost) about how much I hate it.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 5:15 pm

I took an online course once and struggled, even though I knew the subject well. The material often contradicted itself or used vague wording, so I opted for the most literal, precise option and got questions wrong.

Many instructors I find are a little disorganized and vague, and in-class it's easier to talk to them and clear up misunderstandings, interpretations of test questions, etc. I can ask how I should be interpreting a question where x doesn't technically create y but manages it and be told to not read too deeply into it.

Whatever you can do to add your own little structural system should help.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 7:06 pm

I had an online class in college, and it was awful. I never got a clear explanation on when assignments were due, the same was true for tests which made up a big portion of my grade in the class. On said tests most of the time I had to guess on the questions. Which I got wrong because there were two equally valid answers. I barely ending up passing with a C because of that. Since then I tried to avoid any and all online classes if I could.

jacobadom8
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jan 2015, 2:21 am

I'd really suggest you to quit online school and try enrolling in a school specialized to deal with kids suffering from Asperger's. I don't know where you live but if you are around New York, then I can suggest some pretty good schools such as Rebecca School (one of the best). They have a completely focused curriculum with all round development as their primary objective.

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 2:48 am

Any school or college that has a clue how to organise their courses for online access would most likely be using Moodle. If you google it (at least from in the UK) it comes up with the Moodle pages for almost every university in the country, as they all use it to organise their courses.

They were using it when I was at college last year (and I could have done the whole course online through it, except they had compulsory attendance levels. I ended up dropping out largely because I couldn't handle being stuck in a room of 50 other people for 2 days solid). You logged in, and all the project briefs for the subjects you'd signed up for were listed on the front page, in either PDF or Word document format, with very clear details about what was to go into the work, along with a breakdown of how the grade would be split between different parts of the topic, and things like presentation/spelling/grammar. There would also be a single document of a couple of pages detailing exactly when assignments were to be given out, and when they were to be submitted by.

You could upload your work regularly for the tutors to give feedback, just by clicking the upload link under the brief, and by clicking a checkbox on the upload page you could instead say it was your final submission for marking. Once the tutors had marked your work, the grades would be listed in the relevant sections.

For any online school to be using anything else shows a lack of competence, either for not considering that there is already at least one complete solution out there (there may be alternative packages to Moodle), or for getting scammed by a web designer who is all too happy to overcharge them for custom building a product they don't need.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 3:45 am

Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:
I had an online class in college, and it was awful. I never got a clear explanation on when assignments were due, the same was true for tests which made up a big portion of my grade in the class. On said tests most of the time I had to guess on the questions. Which I got wrong because there were two equally valid answers. I barely ending up passing with a C because of that. Since then I tried to avoid any and all online classes if I could.

I'm personally against more online classes for myself, too, because of how many instructors have organizational and clarity issues even in person.

I've taken some pretty messed up courses, though thankfully all the actual technical instructors are highly organized and on top of things. My favorite was being verbally told to check our school e-mail at least a few times a week, and then having answers on the preparatory test be things like "once a week", "once a day", etc.