Parenthood article compares grieving over ASto grieving over

Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

VioletYoshi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2014, 7:00 pm

Moromillas I couldn't watch the show because of the constant infantilizing of Max, in fact it made me realize how much I hated that treatment in my own life. Also treating Max like a forever child who's private life was talked about the way parents talk about little children. How was that supposed to help the Autism community. "Max is growing up!" Max has a girlfriend, he's a big boy now!" No NT would put up with that crap, but people with Autism are supposed to understand it's hard not to talk about them using baby talk! I think Reid from Criminal Minds did a lot to help Autism acceptance, the problem is that show is not for people who dislike horror.

riley
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2014, 7:16 pm

Infantilizing is something many people with disabilities experience and the impact of it creates further segregation. Sometimes it's to the point that some are not even getting taught basic education because it's seen as pointless and so they are encouraged to stay "child like" forever. This does not help anyone and creates further dependence.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 9:05 pm

riley wrote:
No he didn't say any of that either. I am a very literal person. . if you attribute a quote to someone when they didn't actually say it it's erroneous and yes it's self serving.

For the record what he apparently did say is:

http://nbcparenthood.tumblr.com/post/73627205567/jump-ball
I don?t have the sense that Hank is impaired in the way I would typically consider someone diagnosed with a psychiatric disorder is. Hank is able to function at a much higher level than Max in terms of social engagement, social management and interactive facility, despite the fact that Max has been afforded all the interventions and therapies provided for him. If Hank does have Asperger?s, was he just better off or less severe as a boy than Max? Does Hank really have a disorder, or is it just a matter of (at times) being a socially inappropriate, self-absorbed twit who?s generally even nice and tolerable?

Where do you draw the line?

Take the poker game for example, where Hank acts somewhat like a jerk and creates issues for some of the other players. Hank comes across as selfish and insensitive, but do we diagnose someone with this behavior as having a psychiatric disorder? Do we really want to pathologize the human experience in that way?

Labeling someone gives us a reason, or better yet an excuse for their idiosyncrasies and neuroses, but where does that all lead? As evidenced by the card game, Hank can read social cues, but he ignores them at times. He has the ability to understand what someone else needs emotionally because he can put himself in the other person?s place.

Unlike Hank, Max struggles with trying to read others and has trouble understanding their difficulty. He has problems identifying with another person?s struggle. Reading someone else?s emotions and understanding their situation from an emotional vantage point will always be difficult for him. He will probably approach some understanding of what he should do in certain situations because he is bright and can analyze a social setting. However, Max will probably never be able to feel what others are feeling. He will not be able to empathize and engage in the same way that someone without Asperger?s disorder is able to do. The same Hank who disrupted a poker game was also mindful enough in a different situation to ask his daughter, Ruby, to befriend a young man who was socially awkward and strange in his interactions. Such a sensitive concern for the feelings of others would have been impossible for Max.

In my mind, this is the main difference between an autism diagnosis and someone with difficulties in social skills. But it?s because people like Hank were being diagnosed with Asperger?s (a form of Autism Spectrum Disorder) that the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders was changed. Just because someone has difficulty with relationships and people doesn?t mean they have autism. Sometimes being selfish, self-absorbed and immature means that the individual has some growing up to do. And unlike someone with Autism Spectrum Disorder, the person has the capacity to do just that.

Unless it was printed wrong it is not erroneous at all. Those are the words he chose to describe Hanks character. He created the character to make a larger point that "In my mind, this is the main difference between an autism diagnosis and someone with difficulties in social skills. But it?s because people like Hank were being diagnosed with Asperger?s (a form of Autism Spectrum Disorder) that the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders was changed.. This was not something he was hiding. And there is nothing inherently wrong with that technique, this is how writers make a living. And if he left it at that it would not be ablest. But by using self absorbed twit and other such language he is making the implied point that many Adults diagnosed with Aspergers people were self absorbed twits.

If you are a person who thinks that a lot of adults diagnosed as Aspergers are looking for an excuse for rude behavior his article would not be ableist to you. Dr. Sanders is expert in childhood and adolescent autism.http://doctor.webmd.com/doctor/roy-sand ... 5-overview The divide between adult aspie advocates and many parents of children with more classic autism has been much written about. The resentment by some parent activists with children that require 24 hours 7 days a week care towered aspies is also out in the open. self absorbed , excuse making, not real autism is the type of language used by those that resent aspergers. Dr. Sanders clients are also his peers as he is the father of an autistic child. It also needs to be mentioned that before the spectrum was known many undiagnosed were called these names. That is why these words are trigger words for many of us. I find it hard to believe that a person with that much involvement and knowledge does not understand this.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 18 Oct 2014, 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

riley
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2014, 9:34 pm

No it's not printed wrong. He certainly did NOT say what was claimed which was dishonest to miss quote him and claim he did.

Now I see you are now bashing parents again. :roll:

As many posts on WP prove.. some people do indeed use autism as an excuse to justify acting like jerks. He made a distinction between having a disorder and just having poor social skills. I however do not think it's a one or the other thing. You can also have ASD and choose to act like a jerk and I am getting tired of people acting like it's permitted as if it's just a symptom of being an aspie.

No. Some behaviours are a choice.

It was also a choice to post blatant falsehoods to the point where you used quotation marks. Ironic given you are attacking him for being immoral. Lying is immoral too.. and I certainly do not think that is an ASD thing.

I have no problem with people being pissed off when experts actually DO say offensive things.. but if they truly are offensive then you needn't actually change what they say to have people agree.

VioletYoshi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2014, 10:32 pm

This "parent bashing" thing again? I'm sure you must know many people on the Autism spectrum have a history of being silenced, told they must only speak well of others, be good and compliant. Many Autistic people have suffered due to the idea that parents can never be criticized. Will you be the one who lets us speak, or will we be silenced again, and reminded Autistic perspectives about parents always will be silenced?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 10:34 pm

riley wrote:
No it's not printed wrong. He certainly did NOT say what was claimed which was dishonest to miss quote him and claim he did.

Now I see you are now bashing parents again. :roll:

As many posts on WP prove.. some people do indeed use autism as an excuse to justify acting like jerks. He made a distinction between having a disorder and just having poor social skills. I however do not think it's a one or the other thing. You can also have ASD and choose to act like a jerk and I am getting tired of people acting like it's permitted as if it's just a symptom of being an aspie.

No. Some behaviours are a choice.

It was also a choice to post blatant falsehoods to the point where you used quotation marks. Ironic given you are attacking him for being immoral. Lying is immoral too.. and I certainly do not think that is an ASD thing.

I have no problem with people being pissed off when experts actually DO say offensive things.. but if they truly are offensive then you needn't actually change what they say to have people agree.

"some parent activists with children that require 24 hours 7 days a week care". That is not bashing parents as a group.
Again? I have made that point a few times in various ways but it is not a topic something I post about over and over again

I would be lying if I truly believed his intent was just to say being poor at social skills was not autism and wrote the other stuff anyway. I looked at not only what he wrote but used other factors and came to a different conclusion. It's an opinion posted by some dude on the internet, nothing more nothing less. You think my opinion is complete garbage because you looked at it more literally, maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong. The only person who knows for sure is Dr. Sanders.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 18 Oct 2014, 2:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

VioletYoshi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2014, 10:41 pm

ASPartofMe you need to italicize or use all caps when writing some, that's the only way it counts. :roll:

riley
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2014, 12:30 am

VioletYoshi wrote:
This "parent bashing" thing again? I'm sure you must know many people on the Autism spectrum have a history of being silenced, told they must only speak well of others, be good and compliant. Many Autistic people have suffered due to the idea that parents can never be criticized. Will you be the one who lets us speak, or will we be silenced again, and reminded Autistic perspectives about parents always will be silenced?

I've got nothing against people who have autism speaking about their own parents and their own experiences. Having an ASD dx however does not give them a right to makes demands on parents they don't know. I've seen many claim to have authority on other peoples children yet someone who has HFA wouldn't know anymore about severe autism than an NT parent would. It is no wonder parents get pissed off when people impose themselves pretending they know more about a child than they do.

VioletYoshi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Oct 2014, 1:07 am

Well Autistic people have insights on helping Autistic kids their NT parents may not have thought about.

Buzz201
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Oct 2014, 5:22 am

Moromillas wrote:
Buzz201 wrote:
The show was aiming for realism, by your own admission it achieved it. I wouldn't criticise the show, because it achieved it's aims. Criticise society by all means, don't blame Parenthood because the majority of people are thoughtless idiots.

Also, if you think you can change society by starting a minor protest over the final season of a little watched show that's probably done a lot more good than bad for autism, I envy your optimism...

Yeah, about as real as gay people being pedophiles, no the portrayal isn't accurate.

What a vivid strawman you have concocted. Perhaps everywhere it's mentioned is just a "Little watched show" and "aiming for realism", don't go telling people they shouldn't criticise based on utter crap. They thrusted their sh***y stigmas into the public arena, and should absolutely be criticised in such.

Except it isn't based on utter crap, as other posts on this thread have demonstrated that type of reaction isn't uncommon, it was just a poor choice of wording, and IIRC the poster I was replying to agreed with me, in that people fraudulently viewed autistic spectrum disorders as a problem, but was arguing the show should have gone for a positive reaction anyway.

And the writers chose to portray a common "sh***y stigma", they didn't invent it, that kind of reaction does happen, and I very much doubt it was intended to upset anybody (except perhaps in a dramatic sense). Maybe we should spend more time going after people who actually dislike us and who are actually going to cause us problems, instead of well meaning people who made a mistake, that some people found offensive...

riley
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2014, 5:38 am

VioletYoshi wrote:
Well Autistic people have insights on helping Autistic kids their NT parents may not have thought about.

Some do.. but only if they have the same type of autism and that insight may be welcome only when it is actually asked for. Given the vitriol expressed towards parents generally of course many are going to say no to it.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2014, 5:34 pm

Buzz201 wrote:
Except it isn't based on utter crap, as other posts on this thread have demonstrated that type of reaction isn't uncommon, it was just a poor choice of wording, and IIRC the poster I was replying to agreed with me, in that people fraudulently viewed autistic spectrum disorders as a problem, but was arguing the show should have gone for a positive reaction anyway.

And the writers chose to portray a common "sh***y stigma", they didn't invent it, that kind of reaction does happen, and I very much doubt it was intended to upset anybody (except perhaps in a dramatic sense). Maybe we should spend more time going after people who actually dislike us and who are actually going to cause us problems, instead of well meaning people who made a mistake, that some people found offensive...

Let me get this straight,

You're saying people shouldn't criticise them, because:

Prejudice towards AS people is common.
Someone agreed with you on something you said.
The writers didn't invent the stigma.
The assumption that it doesn't cause problems.

Did I miss something? What part of that isn't utter crap? Before that, you were making comparisons to the tastes of food. Hey, don't criticise what I say just because bananas aren't like marshmallows. Are you serious? Surely you're just sh*****g me. Suggesting that it's a harmless mistake that doesn't cause problems, is just the icing on the cake (oh, more food). This is just not intelligent enough to have a thoughtful conversation.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 6:23 pm

riley wrote:
VioletYoshi wrote:

Some do.. but only if they have the same type of autism and that insight may be welcome only when it is actually asked for. Given the vitriol expressed towards parents generally of course many are going to say no to it.

But ASPartOfMe, Moromillas, VioletYoshi, and myself all have the "same form of autism" as Max

riley
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2014, 8:04 pm

PlainsAspie wrote:
riley wrote:
VioletYoshi wrote:

But ASPartOfMe, Moromillas, VioletYoshi, and myself all have the "same form of autism" as Max

That still wouldn't excuse demanding parents do as you or others tell them to do and there are many variations of autism. Offer advice yes but if they reject it then that is their prerogative and that decision should be respected.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 8:05 pm

How am I "demanding"

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 8:21 pm

While not as bad as death, AS can be devastating for families. I can see the grief.