Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 12:05 am

I'm starting a workshop about what it's like to be in special ed and how teachers can make the experience better. It mainly talks about why it's bad to be patronizing and how learning difficulties can look like "laziness". One person thought it was self-advocacy. While I will mention some of my personal experiences as examples, I don't want to be the main focus. I don't even want autism or aspeger's to be the main focus.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 12:57 am

It's certainly advocacy. It's self-advocacy because you are conveying your own experiences in special ed.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 1:44 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's certainly advocacy. It's self-advocacy because you are conveying your own experiences in special ed.

My own experience won't be the main focus. I'm not even in special ed anymore. If I go back to school I won't be in special ed, so these issues won't affect me anymore. I just want the future generation to not go through what I did and I want this obsession to end.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 9:18 am

I think that's most commendable.

I'm glad you won't be in special ed when you go to university/college.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 11:38 am

Yes, I would consider that self-advocacy in one of its best forms. Making it better for other people by talking about one's own experiences, and not waiting for someone else to do it for you.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 7:27 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
Yes, I would consider that self-advocacy in one of its best forms. Making it better for other people by talking about one's own experiences, and not waiting for someone else to do it for you.

I mostly won't be talking about my experiences. I'll just use my experiences as examples. I really want this to be more about other people. I don't want to be the next Temple Grandin.