Will we ever change the status quo in the US?

Page 1 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 11:12 pm

I really want to change the status quo in the US political and social structure. What can we do? Our country is too divided and too lazy/stupid to know what is gong on. Why are people even still interested in national politics?

I want to be part of an America that protects the civil and political rights of others. I want to be part of an America that can get the ball rolling to a healthier and more stable society.

Even though I'm conservative about politics here, I am interested in looking past party lines for good ideas. I don't think conservative had necessarily anything to do with such like opposing universal health coverage or giving the retired money, it just means adhering to tradition.

What can we Americans hope for now?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 11:48 pm

K_Kelly wrote:

We have to hope that they can keep the debt gaming going while we're still alive.

Russia, China, Iran and some South America countries have talked about not trading in US dollars. We responded with sanctions on Russia, and Iran, and it seems to have worked. We may need to flex our military muscle a few times, and remind the world who are the kings and who are servants.

I just started buying 'Silver Eagles' again.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 1:08 am

Exporting a status quo is not conducive to changing it. We aren't a monarchy and we certainly don't merit the servitude of the impoverished. You two have clearly never heard of gift economy. Why live in a world built on aggressive self-interest and bias towards traditions no one fully understands when a chain reaction of generosity could sustain the entire planet just like convection in a star.

Of course, fighting over shiny things until we're all radioactive dust is a perfectly good stimulus package too, if you measure prosperity in rems.

edit: My advance apologies in case bumping this thread snowballs into WWIII...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 4:23 am

Decreasing the division...IDK, divided we fall, together we stand(pink floyd lyrics) sums it up so where do you think this country is going? based on that, I'd say you know petition the government, protest against policies/government actions you oppose, or at least say something about it(I realize not everyone has the time or risk taking capabilities to participate in any public demonstration) and actually make yourself heard, but I am growing tired of being mocked for 'idealism' or running into fellow citizens that seem fine with police brutality and militarization of police forces...once the citizens themselves even a small handful start becoming more comfortable with such things and desensitized and thinking its justified for people to be silenced for expressing their rights that is a good sign things are not going in a good direction I don't think.

I guess one can hope their existence ends before it becomes entirely apparent that there is no hope...at least up until that point you perhaps have some reason to continue putting energy into existence.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 4:30 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
K_Kelly wrote:

We have to hope that they can keep the debt gaming going while we're still alive.

Russia, China, Iran and some South America countries have talked about not trading in US dollars. We responded with sanctions on Russia, and Iran, and it seems to have worked. We may need to flex our military muscle a few times, and remind the world who are the kings and who are servants.

I just started buying 'Silver Eagles' again.

ohh my, think I just threw up a little...do to that repulsive view point, 'flex our military muscle a few times and remind the world who are the kings and who are the servents' That sort of thinking is part of the problem if anything the world needs less elitism...not more people who think their Country of birth makes them better than the rest of the world. And let me guess it's a 'personal attack' if I point out once again your umm....name there once again does not match up with the hateful things you spew even though it is a simple observation.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 6:58 am

Well, I think things will become considerably less polarized once Obama leaves office and the really crazy (and racist) folks lose interest in politics and go back to professional wrestling.

Beyond that, I'm not sure... In another post, I talked about an article I found on the development/history of the SNAP (food stamp) program.

Quote:
In an effort to stabilized deflating commodity prices, the government pays farmers to destroy excess crops and livestock. This sparks public outrage because of widespread hunger among the ever-growing poor and unemployed.

In reaction, the government come up with a scheme to directly distribute this agricultural surplus to the hungry poor. However, this approach also garners much criticism from the business community in general, and grocery wholesalers/retailers in particular, for 'bypassing the customary channels of commerce.' The program is also criticized by social workers, etc. because of the social stigma attached to this form of commodity distribution.

So, new policy is written up by a group of grocery wholesalers/retailers and submitted to the government. With a bit of tweaking, the proposal becomes the Food Stamp program we all know and love--Basically, poor folks could 'buy' orange stamps that could be used to purchase any sort of food. Additionally, for each dollar of orange stamps purchased, the CONSUMER would receive a BONUS blue stamp good for $0.50 toward the purchase of select, surplus goods. These surplus goods usually consisted of various fresh fruits/veggies as well as eggs, pork, etc.

Left-leaning ideologues might criticize this process as capitalist interests twisting and corrupting a government program for their own, selfish gain.... But I don't see it that way at all.

In the old system, farmers benefited because the direct distribution scheme provided an outlet for their surplus goods. Poor people had a slight benefit because they did get a bit more food, at a cost of some personal dignity. BUT, the greater economy suffered because it was bypassed by the government, and the taxpayers suffer because their money was not being used for maximum benefit.

What's really happening here is just a free market/capitalist friendly reaction to an important social problem...

With this NEW solution, welfare recipients are transformed into consumers who actually get to participate in the greater economy in a positive, productive way. The greater economy benefits because there's now a whole new group of consumers spending money (Keynesian stimulus) and the taxpayer benefits it that their money is being invested much more wisely and for maximum effect. In short, MANY MORE groups benefit here.

That's a good practical solution, from a more rational, less blindly ideological time.

This is a great example of how different interest can come together, compromise, and come up with a solution to a problem that has wide ranging benefits for everyone. However, I just don't see something like this happening today. People just can't see past their own ideology and antipathy for the other side.

Ultimately, the status quo will remain in place as long as the majority can bear it. Once things become unbearable for too many people, things will change. The question is, how?

The less people have to lose, the more willing they are to blow s**t up. That's real danger of inequality in society. In the past, American has always given to lower classes just enough to keep them from blowing s**t up when things started getting dicey--reforms at the turn of the last century, the square deal, the new deal, the great society/civil rights reforms, etc.

Things are getting really bad for a lot of people again. I live in an area with the lowest unemployment and the highest rates of poverty in the country--currently 3.9% unemployment rate, yet the poverty rate is 18% and even worse for children. If not for programs like WIC and SNAP my working neighbors would have much less to eat. In spite of this, the right insists on cutting funding for SNAP, a program that feeds working families and puts job-creating money directly into the economy, even as they refuse raise taxes on the wealthy...

Eventually, my neighbors will get tired of working AND skipping meals so their children can eat. Something, someone has to give--either higher wages or higher taxes and benefits--all that money cannot stay at the top of the economy.

Just as in the past, we'll come together and fix the problems we can no longer ignore. If we don't eventually, the American problems will fix themselves. Just like French problems fixed themselves in the 18th century, and Russian problems fixed themselves in the 20th century...

PS

But somehow, I'm betting this isn't the 'status quo' the OP is concerned about, because the OP probably isn't hungry. :P

That we cannot agree on what the problems are, is a problem too.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 7:27 am

To paraphrase Gandhi, you must become the change you want to see.

I got tired of being put upon and taken advantage of, so I got an education and earned a degree that put me in a position of having valued skills.

Now I get to help others out, such as donating to and volunteering at a local homeless shelter, occasionally taking in people who are down on their luck, or just buying a shopping cart's worth of groceries for a retired couple.

I got tired of being helpless, so I made the changes that enable me to help the helpless instead.

Old Gandhi was right - you have to become the change that you want to see.

Change begins with YOU!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 7:36 am

^^^ While that's nice (really), a better solution would be to reform a society in which the least gifted among us can help himself and make his own way.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 7:42 am

^^^ While that's a noble solution (really), "We" can't accomplish a damned thing as long as "We" continue to be the kind of people that society ignores.

Help yourself first, before trying to "help" society.

I did it. Others have, too.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 8:12 am

Unfortunately, everyone doesn't have the boot straps for that...

Effort is not always rewarded with success. (If it was my neighbors would not need food stamps.)

One day it could be, but first we need band together in a way that cannot be ignored, and convert your just-world from a fallacy into a reality.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 8:37 am

Fnord wrote:

Old Gandhi was right - you have to become the change that you want to see.

Can you post a reliable and primary source that Gandhi actually said this please?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 9:03 am

Can you post a solution to the OP's question, please?

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 9:27 am

To change anything you have to be specific about what change you are trying to achieve.

K_Kelly wrote:
I really want to change the status quo in the US political and social structure. What can we do? Our country is too divided and too lazy/stupid to know what is gong on.

What exactly are you looking to change? "Our country is too divided" makes it sound like you are looking for bipartisan solutions to problems but the gratuitous insult of lazy/stupid just makes it unclear what exactly you are trying to change. Do you want people to be more politically active? (addressing the" lazy"), more politically informed? (addressing the "stupid"), more open to solutions from people they didn't vote for? (addressing "too divided")

Quote:
Why are people even still interested in national politics?

Because we are a nation. What exactly are you looking for here? Greater involvement in local politics? In that case, Fnord's quip of "be the change you want to see" is good advice in that you can get involved in local politics.

Quote:
I want to be part of an America that protects the civil and political rights of others. I want to be part of an America that can get the ball rolling to a healthier and more stable society.

That right there is a good reason to be interested in national politics. And of course also local politics. A different police commissioner in Ferguson might have led to a different outcome. Here you can get specific. What civil and political rights are under attack and how can they be protected. I think the demilitarization of police forces would be a good start. If they present themselves as an occupying army, that's how people respond- as though they were under military attack.

Quote:
Even though I'm conservative about politics here, I am interested in looking past party lines for good ideas. I don't think conservative had necessarily anything to do with such like opposing universal health coverage or giving the retired money, it just means adhering to tradition.

Excellent! You're in favor of bipartisan solutions. So am I. In my experience this works very well in local politics since the problems are more likely to be shared problems. Get involved in local politics.

Quote:

Don't hope. Act.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 9:33 am

Janissy wrote:
Don't hope. Act.

:heart:

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 10:06 am

But we also need to act effectively.

I intern at a transitional housing project and also do rural outreach 3 Saturdays/month.

The rural outreach basically consists of setting up shop at a local High School and giving out groceries and personal hygiene products to needy families. Sure, it relieves a bit of misery, but I give the same stuff to the same people every goddamn Saturday.

In the transitional housing project I get to help people identify and FIX their problems. Show them how to access healthcare (usually psych meds), show them how to find support when stressed, find a job, manage money, KEEP a job, etc.

The outreach program feels good, and it's cheap--it pretty much totally runs on private donations and volunteers. But it doesn't really fix anything.

The transitional housing program changes people's lives in a real and fundamental way, but it costs about $15,000.00/person (from street to self-sufficiency) and it depends on block grants from the Feds. The program actually fixes problems, but it takes a big investment up front. And, it is in constant peril of being defunded because of political nonsense.

Help people figure out how to function in society. Don't just give them a pat on the shoulder and a box of stale macaroni.
:roll:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 10:14 am

We really need a "salute smilie" for posts like that.^^^

People don't need to change the world, just a small piece of it - starting in their own neighborhoods.