Will we ever change the status quo in the US?

Page 7 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 8:23 pm

I get the feeling your smarts offset the effects of your strokes.

Research should be done which addresses whether recent substantive intellectual activity offsets the effects of stroke.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 9:37 pm

:)

There has been some impressive research quite recently on stroke recovery, along those lines.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 10:49 pm

B19 wrote:
Thanks for those - I am going to have a big read tonight after the last of the food etc shopping today.

Forgot to add another curious thing about my vision stuff - the two strokes I had were both in the visual cortex area of the brain, which is uncommon. Fortunate though as I escaped the terrible paralysis and loss of speech that afflicts so many. My vision was unchanged once I recovered (though during the strokes I had double vision and also experienced sudden and total loss of vision with no prior warning, which was temporary thank goodness). These are symptoms of a stroke that people are just not told about, and I went to four different doctors before the 4th one diagnosed correctly what had happened and rushed me to hospital. The others gave me the "hypochondriac NT" treatment. So I have some street cred in that area...!

Yes, I can relate, as it took the doctors two years to diagnosis the type two trigeminal neuralgia and until then everyone pooh poohed it and just said pull up your bootstraps; however, they couldn't see the 'dentist drill bit' in my eye and ear.

Invisible disabilities are particularly hard, as on can get the pain and disability and the shame all the same.

What I learned from that is I have to be my own best friend and parent if I am going to get by in this life, in the long run, as sooner or later many of us face it ALL alone anyway.

I hope for your recovery and best wishes to you. :)

And Happy Holidays as well. :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 3:42 pm

aghogday wrote:
Yes, I can relate, as it took the doctors two years to diagnosis the type two trigeminal neuralgia and until then everyone pooh poohed it and just said pull up your bootstraps; however, they couldn't see the 'dentist drill bit' in my eye and ear.

Invisible disabilities are particularly hard, as on can get the pain and disability and the shame all the same.

I often get aggravated at people who complain about someone parking in a disabled parking space with no obvious disability. Some people even think that the only disabilities for which someone should have a disabled permit are for people who are in a wheelchair.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 4:20 pm

eric76 wrote:
aghogday wrote:

I often get aggravated at people who complain about someone parking in a disabled parking space with no obvious disability. Some people even think that the only disabilities for which someone should have a disabled permit are for people who are in a wheelchair.

Cognitive empathy is often learned through experience as opposed to affective empathy.

And people in our culture are conditioned to believe that skin and clothes deep is all there is, particularly at a younger age.

When one lives long enough, one would hope folks would learn more about the life of others but truly I think there are some folks who rarely give the feelings of other folks a second thought, when they cannot feel similar feelings themselves.

If a person looks good in our culture for some folks that IS ALL THAT COUNTS; BUT LITTLE do they know that is no part of true happiness at all.

That's the Karma part that comes back to bite many folks in the 'butt' of life, sooner or later, as simply the natural potential and progress of life.

I always keep in mind now, be careful how one treats folks one on the way up, as one day those folks one does not treat with respect may be changing one's bed pan or diapers, and potentially yes, even at a young age, as disability is an equal opportunity condition in life, for those who think they are invincible when young.

Cognitive Empathy, is perhaps the most important human attribute but the least respected AND PRACTICED one now, overall, in western society, as a whole, at least, in what I see about it now, as compared to decades past in the U.S.

AND additionally, there is research that suggests that college age adults over the course of the last several decades show deficits in previous empirical measures of empathy, at the tune of 30 percent.

Not surprising at all to me, as I find some dogs express more cognitive empathy than humans, presently, and maybe even a cat or two, too. :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick